More codes... help? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Unhappy More codes... help?

I have an 88 mustang 5.0 lx. I previously had a code which was stating that my right side O2 sensor was running lean. I checked and the sensor was wiggling around. Now today (a few weeks later) I went to autozone and bought two of the same Bosch Oxygen sensors (both were same kind and model number) for 39.99 to install on my mustang. I put both of them in with the battery cables off, and decided to run my coder to make sure that the previous code went away. My car was warmed up when I did the koer test and I code two codes.

Code 44: problems in thermactor air control system

and

Code 94: thermactor air system - problem on the right bank (passenger Side). or, Transaxle problem - shift solenoid 1 (ss1) circuit failure.

What exactly is my issue here, what do I have to replace?
antnvlz1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Code 44 RH side air not functioning.
Code 94 LH side air not functioning.

If you have eliminated your TAB and TAD solenoids you will get those codes.

The computer uses the change in the O2 sensor readings to detect operation of the Thermactor control valves. When the dump valve opens, it reduces the O2 readings in the exhaust system. Then it closes the dump valve and the O2 readings increase. By toggling the dump valve (TAB), the computer tests for the 44/94 codes.

Failure mode is usually due to a clogged air crossover tube, where one or both sides of the tube clog with carbon. The air crossover tube mounts on the back of the cylinder heads and supplies air to each of the Thermactor air passages cast into the cylinder heads. When the heads do not get the proper air delivery, they set codes 44 & 94, depending on which passage is clogged. It is possible to get both 44 & 94, which would suggest that the air pump or control valves are not working correctly, or the crossover tube is full of carbon or missing.
ALMOST STOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST STOCK View Post
Code 44 RH side air not functioning.
Code 94 LH side air not functioning.

If you have eliminated your TAB and TAD solenoids you will get those codes.

The computer uses the change in the O2 sensor readings to detect operation of the Thermactor control valves. When the dump valve opens, it reduces the O2 readings in the exhaust system. Then it closes the dump valve and the O2 readings increase. By toggling the dump valve (TAB), the computer tests for the 44/94 codes.

Failure mode is usually due to a clogged air crossover tube, where one or both sides of the tube clog with carbon. The air crossover tube mounts on the back of the cylinder heads and supplies air to each of the Thermactor air passages cast into the cylinder heads. When the heads do not get the proper air delivery, they set codes 44 & 94, depending on which passage is clogged. It is possible to get both 44 & 94, which would suggest that the air pump or control valves are not working correctly, or the crossover tube is full of carbon or missing.
So I don't even know what tab or tad solenoids are? As for fixing this issue what do I clean or replace? You said something about tubing getting clogged? What exactly are you referring to? I don't understand what I have to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Tab and Tad solenoids are on the back side of your passenger side tower strut

The cross over tube is attached to the back of the heads and a good possibility that it could be clogged with carbon.
What I did to clean my cross over tube was to run a semi- stiff wire through one end of the tub and out other. If you see a lot of carbon come out of the tube you could use something like carburetor cleaner poured in the tube and let it sit overnight.

More than likely the cross over tube is stopping you from being able to mount your ground cable to the engine block because it's in the way.

You'll need to remover 2 bolts to and disconnect the to remove the cross over tube.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tab and Tad solenoids are on the back side of your passenger side tower strut

The cross over tube is attached to the back of the heads and a good possibility that it could be clogged with carbon.
What I did to clean my cross over tube was to run a semi- stiff wire through one end of the tub and out other. If you see a lot of carbon come out of the tube you could use something like carburetor cleaner poured in the tube and let it sit overnight.

More than likely the cross over tube is stopping you from being able to mount your ground cable to the engine block because it's in the way.

You'll need to remover 2 bolts to and disconnect the to remove the cross over tube.
So Disconnect the tube run a thick wire through it and spray/soak the inside with carb cleaner, leave for a night and then put it on?
Old 03-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by antnvlz1294 View Post
So Disconnect the tube run a thick wire through it and spray/soak the inside with carb cleaner, leave for a night and then put it on?
That's it........You want to clean the tube so that there is no carbon blockage is what you're trying accomplish.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's it........You want to clean the tube so that there is no carbon blockage is what you're trying accomplish.
Alright I'll post what happens in a few days.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT