Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Something that should have been done to the Foxbody

Tags
fox body
2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  DigitalChaos 
#1 ·
Hey all,
So I bought my 87' GT a few years ago and have used it as my daily driver, but always wanted to park it and restore/ customize it. Ive been rolling different ideas around in my head about what to do with it. There is just so many options, it is hard to decide lol. After 2 years of thinking I have finally decided to do something that should have been done in the 80's. Well at least I will do my best to do it. The late great Carol Shelby did not do a foxbody, and I think he should have. So my goal is to turn my GT into the GT500 that should have been built in 87'. So as I'm starting to do my research, im running into a bit of a bump. What exactly makes a GT500 a GT500? My initial thought was a paint job, body kit and 500Hp, along with a few other minor details. But is there more? Any links or thoughts would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Hey all,
So I bought my 87' GT a few years ago and have used it as my daily driver, but always wanted to park it and restore/ customize it. Ive been rolling different ideas around in my head about what to do with it. There is just so many options, it is hard to decide lol. After 2 years of thinking I have finally decided to do something that should have been done in the 80's. Well at least I will do my best to do it. The late great Carol Shelby did not do a foxbody, and I think he should have. So my goal is to turn my GT into the GT500 that should have been built in 87'. So as I'm starting to do my research, im running into a bit of a bump.
What exactly makes a GT500 a GT500?
My initial thought was a paint job, body kit and 500Hp, along with a few other minor details. But is there more? Any links or thoughts would be appreciated.
2 Words............Modern Technology

#4 ·
Modern Tech is something I am looking to for sure. I have plans for coil over suspension, a more modern fuel mgmt system, even a fully digital dash. If I has the money id buy a newer 5.0 that had been totaled and strip the drive train out of it lol. So far its been a lot of small thing to get it into shape. New headlights, fog lights, intake, etc... Got a rebuild AOD tranny last year, not by choice but by necessity. I'm finding it hard to work on when it is my daily driver.

#6 ·
Sounds like you have a lot of research to do. GT350 cars were bred to race. GT500 cars were bred to make Ford a lot of money.

Typical upgrades to GT500 are:
Larger hi-po engine
Upgraded suspension
Luxury / comfort items like AC & power windows.
Unique body panels; fenders, hood, spoiler, etc.
Oh yea, lots of snakes!

#7 ·
UOP,
So far thats the best break down I've heard. Perhaps turning it into a GT500 is not the path for me as I want to keep the 5.0 I think my plans thus far re coil over suspension, a racing AOD (cant run a clutch to well anymore as my left knee is junk) ,supercharger, Shelby paint and some other exterior mods as well as a custom interior. I really just want to see it become something that Carol Shelby should have done. So far I've swapped the intake, swapped the 3 piece headlights for a one piece kit, MSD ignition system, flowmaster exhaust, and a few small replacement trim parts. Right now its a daily driver so it feel like im spending my money just in upkeep instead of real restoration. But the goal is to park it this year so I can actually get it back in good condition.

#8 ·
First, crawl under the car and inspect it. I mean REALLY inspect it. If there is a ton of rust/crud/rot underneath... keep DDing it and start looking for a clean garage kept old person fox/4 banger/whatever and restore THAT. They are out there.

#9 ·
Why would I do that? Mine is in great shape, save for a few things on the exterior that are needed. I picked it up for $1300 with 160k on it. Everything works, everything. Took her up to just over 120mph a few weeks ago (acording to my GPS seeing as the speedo stops at 85) had a lot more to go but the suspension is in need of attention so she started to float a bit and I backed off.

#10 ·
So you have or have not checked for rust/rot/corrosion/issues under the car or not? I'm just saying that if you were to dump a ton of money into something with rust/body issues that might not be the smartest thing. Neither is taking it up to 120mph on the street tbth...

#15 ·
I plan on taking lots of pictures. I need to go through what I have and post what its gone though over the last 2 years. Just got new door lock actuators and fog lights in the mail this week from Americanmuscle.com cant wait until my next day off to replace the old ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.