Something that should have been done to the Foxbody - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Something that should have been done to the Foxbody

Hey all,
So I bought my 87' GT a few years ago and have used it as my daily driver, but always wanted to park it and restore/ customize it. Ive been rolling different ideas around in my head about what to do with it. There is just so many options, it is hard to decide lol. After 2 years of thinking I have finally decided to do something that should have been done in the 80's. Well at least I will do my best to do it. The late great Carol Shelby did not do a foxbody, and I think he should have. So my goal is to turn my GT into the GT500 that should have been built in 87'. So as I'm starting to do my research, im running into a bit of a bump. What exactly makes a GT500 a GT500? My initial thought was a paint job, body kit and 500Hp, along with a few other minor details. But is there more? Any links or thoughts would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 04:19 PM   #2

Region: Illinois
no idea, but that wouldve been one rare foxbody!
boosted92notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
Hey all,
So I bought my 87' GT a few years ago and have used it as my daily driver, but always wanted to park it and restore/ customize it. Ive been rolling different ideas around in my head about what to do with it. There is just so many options, it is hard to decide lol. After 2 years of thinking I have finally decided to do something that should have been done in the 80's. Well at least I will do my best to do it. The late great Carol Shelby did not do a foxbody, and I think he should have. So my goal is to turn my GT into the GT500 that should have been built in 87'. So as I'm starting to do my research, im running into a bit of a bump.
What exactly makes a GT500 a GT500?
My initial thought was a paint job, body kit and 500Hp, along with a few other minor details. But is there more? Any links or thoughts would be appreciated.
2 Words............Modern Technology
ALMOST STOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Modern Tech is something I am looking to for sure. I have plans for coil over suspension, a more modern fuel mgmt system, even a fully digital dash. If I has the money id buy a newer 5.0 that had been totaled and strip the drive train out of it lol. So far its been a lot of small thing to get it into shape. New headlights, fog lights, intake, etc... Got a rebuild AOD tranny last year, not by choice but by necessity. I'm finding it hard to work on when it is my daily driver.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Join the club lol
slade95gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Sounds like you have a lot of research to do. GT350 cars were bred to race. GT500 cars were bred to make Ford a lot of money.

Typical upgrades to GT500 are:
Larger hi-po engine
Upgraded suspension
Luxury / comfort items like AC & power windows.
Unique body panels; fenders, hood, spoiler, etc.
Oh yea, lots of snakes!

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

UOP,
So far thats the best break down I've heard. Perhaps turning it into a GT500 is not the path for me as I want to keep the 5.0 I think my plans thus far re coil over suspension, a racing AOD (cant run a clutch to well anymore as my left knee is junk) ,supercharger, Shelby paint and some other exterior mods as well as a custom interior. I really just want to see it become something that Carol Shelby should have done. So far I've swapped the intake, swapped the 3 piece headlights for a one piece kit, MSD ignition system, flowmaster exhaust, and a few small replacement trim parts. Right now its a daily driver so it feel like im spending my money just in upkeep instead of real restoration. But the goal is to park it this year so I can actually get it back in good condition.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
First, crawl under the car and inspect it. I mean REALLY inspect it. If there is a ton of rust/crud/rot underneath... keep DDing it and start looking for a clean garage kept old person fox/4 banger/whatever and restore THAT. They are out there.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Why would I do that? Mine is in great shape, save for a few things on the exterior that are needed. I picked it up for $1300 with 160k on it. Everything works, everything. Took her up to just over 120mph a few weeks ago (acording to my GPS seeing as the speedo stops at 85) had a lot more to go but the suspension is in need of attention so she started to float a bit and I backed off.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
So you have or have not checked for rust/rot/corrosion/issues under the car or not? I'm just saying that if you were to dump a ton of money into something with rust/body issues that might not be the smartest thing. Neither is taking it up to 120mph on the street tbth...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
They made a 84 gt-350

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396898654641.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	153166  
Old 04-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
I thought most gt500 had 351s in them isn't that one of its major differences.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

No rust underneath, or anywhere that would be of any concern. Did not realize they made an 84' GT350... should be a useful guideline
Old 04-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It would be nice to see pictures of every stage as you go along. Gives us a better feel of what direction your taking.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
powerpony347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I plan on taking lots of pictures. I need to go through what I have and post what its gone though over the last 2 years. Just got new door lock actuators and fog lights in the mail this week from Americanmuscle.com cant wait until my next day off to replace the old ones.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
foxbody