Mustang Evolution Forum banner

front shocks!

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  silverstone 
#1 ·
I have a 91 stang, well everywhere i look it says the front has struts for replacement shocks. my car has shocks, not struts. i even go into an argument with a guy from napa cause he said they have struts when i was looking at them. Wondering if anyone else has this problem? and what the shock number is so i can get two replacements cause one is leaking and they suck.

#2 · (Edited)
Unless someone for some reason changed your stock setup to Shocks sorry to say you have Struts in the front of your 91 not shocks.

The 1979-2004 Mustang front suspension consists of modified MacPherson struts with lower control arms (A-arms). The term modified refers to the fact that the coil springs are inboard of the struts. Normally, MacPherson suspensions have coil springs that surround the struts. This suspension is compact, cheap to build and easy to service, but it is often criticized because (a) its geometry produces camber changes during vertical suspension movement and body roll that adversely affect handling and (b) the strut towers prevent designers from lowering the car's profile. The performance of the front suspension can be improved by installing stiffer springs and struts and by replacing rubber bushings in several locations with less compliant urethane bushings.

The easiest way to tell the difference is your strut will have a bracket on the side with holes so that it can be fastened to the spindle, the shock does not have an bracket on the side .

Shock on the left............ Strut on the right

#9 ·
Haha I'm not. So can I buy the sets of kyb struts and rear shocks and not have to buy a spring for the strut? Just basically install it when I get it and I'm good?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.