Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Trick flow top end start up real rough idle

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
Hi so I just installed the trick flow topend kit.I started it up today with the timing set at tdc 0. Car started after some hesitation but ran real rough.just looking for some pointers or advise.

#5 ·
Could be that hacked 24 lb meter. The correct way to calibrate for injectors is in the tune.

Did you tune it?
Probably not which means it is going to run like crap until he shells out the $$ for a dyno tune. Always budget in the $600 or so it'll cost for a dyno tune.

Did you put a bigger throttle body on it? 75mm?
This will make 0 difference unless the TB he put in is messed up but not because of the size.

#7 ·
Nah, he started it un-tuned most likely which is ok for initial startup but don't expect it to run like stock and not smell pig rich until the dyno guy gets ahold of it and dials it in. Every pushrod build I've done has been like that. Fire it up to make sure it starts and runs and doesn't have any leaks or obvious mechanical issues, shut it back down, trailer it to the tuner, trailer it home and then proceed to break it in for 1k miles and roll.

#8 ·
Yeah you make a valid point, the dump tune is usually the last thing someone thinks of. I will admit when I built my 347 I didn't even consider the amount of tuning that was going to happen. Extra money spent in the right places make a big difference.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Dyno* damn auto correct

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#9 ·
Yup, the last HCI I did on a pushrod started pig rich at 260whp at the dyno. 3 pulls later it was at 301whp and perfect AF ratio. I see ppl trying to do idle resets and install "chips" or some other hackjob thing and have to laugh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.