Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Hid lights

5K views 55 replies 10 participants last post by  Adogg 
#1 ·
Hello I was looking for new lights for my 1989 Mustang gt convertible 5.0 and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a really good hid light kit?

galaxy s4

#3 ·
There are several companies offering retrofit services. Just putting a hid setup in your factory housings is dangerous and illegal.

Sent from my massive johnson.

#5 ·
Ok it's not technically illegal..... Speaking from years of experience as a car audio installer I've installed many of these in fox bodies with no problem and it only becomes illegal after 8k the spectrum is as follows 6k is super white 8k is white with a blue tint 10k is blue 12k is purple and so On I have 8k's in mine and have never had a problem and can see twice as good as halogen

#6 ·
It's not that the color is illegal. It's the fact that the stock reflectors can't properly aim the light onto the road. Some of it ends up pointing straight into oncoming traffic. Pisses me off because about 50% of the cars here in Anchorage have plug and play HIDs.

#7 ·
The ones I put in foxes have a metal shield over the top to prevent this from happening I would not advise plug an play hids plus those housing aren't meant to handle regular hid's...... The plug and play hids burn upwards of 900 degrees f.... So it would only be a matter of time before those short out anyways

#9 ·
Yes like I said before the plug and play hid's I wouldn't advise but the ones I use with the metal shield work great without blinding everyone on the highway and depending where u live .... Which I live in tx....... Hid's are legal up to 8k and with the proper retrofit can be an awesome look for your fox

#10 ·
Please post a beam pattern from some of your metal shielded HIDs because I guarantee they are not making a correct DOT approved HID pattern.

#11 ·
Your so right Scotty..... Because soooo many cops have this dot beam pattern memorized.... like I said from years of experience there are ways to retro fit hid's Kyle and if you want hid's go with hid's it's your car just be mindful of the other people on the road and make sure u get shielded ones

#12 ·
I'm not talking about cops knowing the beam pattern I'm talking about one THINKING they are not blinding ppl/scattering light all over the place but until I see someone figure out how to make HIDs in a reflector housing look like this I will continue to call BS.

Attachments

#14 ·
Like I said I'd love to see a beam pic of those like what I posted. I have never EVER seen one, including the shielded ones that can produce a DOT approved, safe, non hotspot/scattered beam like I posted above.

#15 ·
My Subaru had hid's from the previous owner they are in a glass housing which I think is oem. So I will post a pic of what they look like. They aren't super bright and they are yellow with yellow fogs. My mustang probably has the worst lights in the world a mix between me head light covers and row really messed up housing and I put in the Phillips 9007s I think they were and still nothing. I think my man problem is my housing are really bad.

#16 ·
The stock 94-98 housing is a terrible design which is why I am moving to the projectors.

#18 ·
They have ones with blacked out insides yes, but the projector keeps the chrome ring around it which looks too ricey to me. They also sell matching sidemarkers which I am getting. You could always have the chrome ones smoked for the best of both worlds.

#19 ·
Yea that seems off to have a chrome ring, I like it to look as dark as possible, similar to the head light covers I have. Sadly I cracked one installing my new lights and now thinking of going a different route for more functionality. Are talking about the raxiom from am with the ring when there on or the clear ones you posted in the other thread?

#20 ·
No def not the Raxioms, you want ricey that is the definition of ricey IMO. I'm talking about the ones I posted in my thread. Those are DEPO projectors and they are $110-$120 shipped off ebay or amazon and then come preloaded with genuine Philips halogens so you can use them right away without converting to HID. You can also modify HIR bulbs (9011 and 9012) which are about 30-40% brighter than regular Halogens and run them if you want. A HIR bulb does what Silverstars claim they do (but don't). Bright white light and more lumens.

#22 ·
Yep that is what I have except chrome. Like I said you can always just smoke the chrome ones when you get them if you really wanted. They are currently easily the best lighting option for 94-98 cars short of an actual OEM HID retrofit.

#24 ·
Yeah I fired them up real quick the other night with the stock 9006s in the lo-beams and the 9011 in the hi and omfg... That was just with the wires hanging wherever though. When I flicked on the hi-beams it was like :eek: Those HIR bulbs are legit...

Its apart again for a proper wiring cleanup and the 4300k HIDs are going in the projectors. Can't wait to see what it looks like with HIDs... actually I'm going to go dig up a pic from someone else with 4300s in the Depos from SVTP.

#26 ·
Found it, that's the DEPO headlights with 4300k HIDs installed. Very nice cutoff for an aftermarket Chinese projector.

Attachments

#28 ·
Pirated from the same post lol

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.