Hid lights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Hid lights

Hello I was looking for new lights for my 1989 Mustang gt convertible 5.0 and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a really good hid light kit?

galaxy s4
kyle_rivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
eBay. Go with 6k tho. I went with the 10k big mistake you can't see anything
86foureyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
There are several companies offering retrofit services. Just putting a hid setup in your factory housings is dangerous and illegal.

Sent from my massive johnson.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
There are several companies offering retrofit services. Just putting a hid setup in your factory housings is dangerous and illegal.

Sent from my massive johnson.

Yea and blindes everyone on the road

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok it's not technically illegal..... Speaking from years of experience as a car audio installer I've installed many of these in fox bodies with no problem and it only becomes illegal after 8k the spectrum is as follows 6k is super white 8k is white with a blue tint 10k is blue 12k is purple and so On I have 8k's in mine and have never had a problem and can see twice as good as halogen
slade95gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by slade95gt View Post
Ok it's not technically illegal..... Speaking from years of experience as a car audio installer I've installed many of these in fox bodies with no problem and it only becomes illegal after 8k the spectrum is as follows 6k is super white 8k is white with a blue tint 10k is blue 12k is purple and so On I have 8k's in mine and have never had a problem and can see twice as good as halogen
It's not that the color is illegal. It's the fact that the stock reflectors can't properly aim the light onto the road. Some of it ends up pointing straight into oncoming traffic. Pisses me off because about 50% of the cars here in Anchorage have plug and play HIDs.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The ones I put in foxes have a metal shield over the top to prevent this from happening I would not advise plug an play hids plus those housing aren't meant to handle regular hid's...... The plug and play hids burn upwards of 900 degrees f.... So it would only be a matter of time before those short out anyways
Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by slade95gt View Post
Yes it is. And no, you can't see as well as a good halogen. You are just throwing light out everywhere in a scatter pattern with no beam focus of any sort whatsoever. You may think you can see better but it's not the case and you are BLINDING others who are driving towards you in the other lane.

I may seem like I'm an ******* about this but putting HIDs in stock reflector housings is asinine, dangerous, useless and illegal. If you want to get HIDs you get a proper retrofit done or you buy a projector housing that is known to aim the beam properly. If you don't want to do this you get a good OEM bulb like a Philips and roll with it. If you can find an aftermarket housing that accepts 9005 or 9006 bulbs you can run Philips HIR bulbs that are 75% as bright as HIDs and this is a proven fact and what I am running in my hi-beams.

And as far as Silverstars and that sort of bulb, those are all gimmicks and actually produce less light than a good OEM halogen bulb. You may think it looks brighter but it isn't. A Silverstar puts out around 1300 lumens of white light due to the blue coating on the bulb. A stock bulb puts out 1700 lumens due to no coating on the bulb. An HIR bulb uses an overdriven filament to produce another 30-40% brightness, my 9011 (9005) bulbs are rated at 2300+ lumens which is omfg bright for a Halogen and they produce a white light without the blue coating on the bulb that makes the gimmick bulbs so dim.

Again, I know I sound like an *** but after being continuously blinded by jackasses running HIDs in stock housings (sometimes with my kid in the car) I hope everyone doing it gets pulled over and gets issued citations/fix it tickets. I'm serious. The PO of my car had 8k HIDs in the stock housings when I bought it and I ripped that **** out and installed halogens I've run until recently.

Also if you DO get a proper retrofit done don't get a cheap DDM/VVME/Amazon HID kit. You want one that uses an OEM style quartz glass bulb that is laser aligned (since all HID kit bulbs are re-based). XenonDepot has two kits like this and their higher end one uses genuine Philips bulbs which you can't get any better than. Morimoto uses to make top notch kits too but they are currently having QC issues I hope they get sorted. Of course, for your best experience you get some OEM Denso ballasts, get them potted (waterproofed) and run an OEM Philips bulb.

/rant
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yes like I said before the plug and play hid's I wouldn't advise but the ones I use with the metal shield work great without blinding everyone on the highway and depending where u live .... Which I live in tx....... Hid's are legal up to 8k and with the proper retrofit can be an awesome look for your fox
Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Please post a beam pattern from some of your metal shielded HIDs because I guarantee they are not making a correct DOT approved HID pattern.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Your so right Scotty..... Because soooo many cops have this dot beam pattern memorized.... like I said from years of experience there are ways to retro fit hid's Kyle and if you want hid's go with hid's it's your car just be mindful of the other people on the road and make sure u get shielded ones
Old 04-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm not talking about cops knowing the beam pattern I'm talking about one THINKING they are not blinding ppl/scattering light all over the place but until I see someone figure out how to make HIDs in a reflector housing look like this I will continue to call BS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nohotspot.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	153489  

Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397139705.837344.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	506.8 KB
ID:	153490
There are many different styles of shielded hid's but these are the ones I prefer and just because u haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist lol o and there are also led hid's but they are a bit more expensive
Old 04-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Like I said I'd love to see a beam pic of those like what I posted. I have never EVER seen one, including the shielded ones that can produce a DOT approved, safe, non hotspot/scattered beam like I posted above.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
My Subaru had hid's from the previous owner they are in a glass housing which I think is oem. So I will post a pic of what they look like. They aren't super bright and they are yellow with yellow fogs. My mustang probably has the worst lights in the world a mix between me head light covers and row really messed up housing and I put in the Phillips 9007s I think they were and still nothing. I think my man problem is my housing are really bad.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

The stock 94-98 housing is a terrible design which is why I am moving to the projectors.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Yea I know what you mean I have never owned a car with such bad lights, and even before the headlight covers I wasn't pleased with the lighting. Do they have a blacked or smoked version of projectors?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

They have ones with blacked out insides yes, but the projector keeps the chrome ring around it which looks too ricey to me. They also sell matching sidemarkers which I am getting. You could always have the chrome ones smoked for the best of both worlds.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
They have ones with blacked out insides yes, but the projector keeps the chrome ring around it which looks too ricey to me. They also sell matching sidemarkers which I am getting. You could always have the chrome ones smoked for the best of both worlds.

Yea that seems off to have a chrome ring, I like it to look as dark as possible, similar to the head light covers I have. Sadly I cracked one installing my new lights and now thinking of going a different route for more functionality. Are talking about the raxiom from am with the ring when there on or the clear ones you posted in the other thread?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

No def not the Raxioms, you want ricey that is the definition of ricey IMO. I'm talking about the ones I posted in my thread. Those are DEPO projectors and they are $110-$120 shipped off ebay or amazon and then come preloaded with genuine Philips halogens so you can use them right away without converting to HID. You can also modify HIR bulbs (9011 and 9012) which are about 30-40% brighter than regular Halogens and run them if you want. A HIR bulb does what Silverstars claim they do (but don't). Bright white light and more lumens.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397152506.120437.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	153498

These most be the one your talking about? I wish they came in all black cause your right that chrome inside doesn't look good.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep that is what I have except chrome. Like I said you can always just smoke the chrome ones when you get them if you really wanted. They are currently easily the best lighting option for 94-98 cars short of an actual OEM HID retrofit.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Yea anything is better then what I have now, if you seen what I'm working with you would flip lol you have your in your car yet?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah I fired them up real quick the other night with the stock 9006s in the lo-beams and the 9011 in the hi and omfg... That was just with the wires hanging wherever though. When I flicked on the hi-beams it was like Those HIR bulbs are legit...

Its apart again for a proper wiring cleanup and the 4300k HIDs are going in the projectors. Can't wait to see what it looks like with HIDs... actually I'm going to go dig up a pic from someone else with 4300s in the Depos from SVTP.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Nice man good work, if you can find any pics of what they look like on the car that would be great.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Found it, that's the DEPO headlights with 4300k HIDs installed. Very nice cutoff for an aftermarket Chinese projector.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	depocutoff.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	153500  

Old 04-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Wow that looks really good, got any pic of what they look like installed on the car like daytime?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Pirated from the same post lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	depoinstalled.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	153501  

Old 04-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Wow that looks really good, got any pic of what they look like installed on the car like daytime?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397153752.709486.jpg
Views:	2238
Size:	528.8 KB
ID:	153502

If I could fine these headlights It would be perfect!! Any idea what these are? They are projectors from what I'm reading
Old 04-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

If they are they are a retrofit. You basically bake open your stock lights or whatever you have and then dremel out the reflector little by little and mount a set of OEM or good aftermarket HID projectors in there. Then align the beams on a bench (you make reference marks with the halogens before starting) and epoxy the projectors in place. After that you finish epoxying anywhere you need to, install trim rings so you can't see the glue and everything and then bake your housing back together. There are a lot of how-tos online or you can send off your housings to the tune of $500 to various places. Which is why I went with the DEPOs lol. I personally am not a fan of smoked lights like you are but if I was I would just have the chrome DEPOs smoked by someone or DIY and there you go.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Damn that is a lot of work, and yea my personal favorite is all black housing, but yea my friends cousin tints stuff. What are your thought on tinting the black depo projectors?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

You'd still see that chrome ring, I would black out the chrome ones if I was going to black them out. But if you are having trouble seeing its pretty counterproductive to black out your headlights. Maybe get the black ones and just deal with the chrome ring or bake them open and paint the chrome ring? You will always need to have the hi-beam reflector in there as chrome though.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Hid lights

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397227245.200292.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	153570

Here is my Subaru with hid's in stock housing. But let me remind you all that the previous owner of this car was a professional car electronic installer so he might have used special hid's or knew how to aim them correctly.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

That's better than a lot of stuff I've seen but I still see hotspots and you are spraying light well upwards of where oncoming ppl's eyes are going to be. It HAS to be like the cutoff pics I posted or you are GOING to blind ppl.

I'm sorry if I sound like an *** about this but driving along and all of a sudden I can't see because someone's HIDs are directly in my eyes really pisses me off. Latest event was last week with a 03 or something Explorer running what looked like 12k in the stock housings and I saw afterimages his were so bad... and my kid is in the back at the time. ***-hole x1000 and I only hope he is pulled over and issued a citation.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT