Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Building 351w

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
Looking to build a 351 for my fox, plan on stroking it to a 408 with plans of turbo. Can somebody point me in the direction as far as a block should go or does it really matter??

#2 ·
www.fordstrokers.com

Call and ask to talk to the owner, Woody. Any 351 roller is going to be good for 700whp+ but you have to be careful as there are a LOT of blocks being found with cracks under the cam bearings that a lot of shops miss.

Also, unless you want over 550-600hp you should just stay NA. A mild 408 will hit 500 to the wheels without much effort, you can kick it up to 550-600 pretty easily too. Nothing like a ride in a properly built 408 fox or 94/95 car. Blip the throttle and your balls are instantly in the trunk.

#4 ·
That would be a horrible idea on a 351. You have to port them to be optimal on a 302, a 351 is way too big for anything GT40. Ford did it because that's what they had.

#6 ·
The question is.................... How big is your bank account?

#8 ·
Well if you are gonna go with an aftermarket block figure on the shortblock alone will be 5k just bare minimum.

Then drop in another 2k for heads.

Then another 1k for valvetrain "stuff".

Adds up real quick.

#10 ·
Like I said, get ahold of fordstrokers and talk to Woody. Also, make SURE your machine shop pulls the cam bearings out of the block and checks under them for cracks. A known issue with latemodel 351 roller blocks is cracks forming under the cam bearings that you can't see until you pull them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.