Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Where did this come from?

2K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
I was about to back into a parking spot yesterday, and just before coming to a stop to go into reverse, I had the wheel turned all the way to the right and heard a scraping sound followed by the sound of this piece hitting the pavement. I had the top down, so I was able to hear this piece hit the ground. I have looked all over/under the front end, but can not figure out where it came from. Anyone recognize this? Laminate flooring Hardwood Wood Flooring Wood flooring

Chris

See less See more
#4 ·
That's it! I didn't associate with a wheel weight, because it's so thin. Looking at my other wheel weights, one is marked 1.0. This one is marked .25 so it should be thin. That raises another question, how did it get scraped off? Going to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
They do fall off. If your not having any vibration at speed, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do, I'd go back to the place they were balanced and see if they can fix the wheel

#9 ·
.25 isn't enough to make your wheel vibrate. .50 is the max to be off. That's how it wss when I worked at National tire and battery. Have you had them balanced latley? Cause that weight looks about a week or two old.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#11 ·
Oh. Then I wouldn't worry about it. Most likely it's the inside rim hitting the strut. I had this same problem. It's hard to balance our tires cause if you out stick on weights in the middle of the rim they also hit the caliber and pop off

#13 ·
I just had this same issue except it was a patch of 3 sticky weights falling off literally before I even put the tires on... smh... Anyway put them on and no vibrations that I can feel. If it starts at all I'll just have the shop go back over them real quick.

#15 ·
Yeah that's the best thing to do. Easiest was is to get like nail polish or something strong like brake cleaner and clean the spot real good before you stick em on. If there's a lot of crud clean it with a wire wheel. Then clean the rest off

#16 ·
Brake cleaner eats paint, clean your rims with it if you want...

#18 ·
You can do it off the car. And that's why I gave the alternative to using a wire brush

No... if your rims are painted or even powdercoated or cleared that **** will eat them up. To clean your wheels you get a good ass wheel cleaner unless you have crap wheels you don't care about. Someone gets near my wheels with a wire brush there is going to be a problem.

#20 ·
At least you lost it in a parking lot....I had one of those tire weights come at my windshield on a highway a few years back at highway speed. At first, it appeared to do no damage other than soil my britches from the loud bang it made. Then about 2 to 3 minutes later, the crack appeared, and spread about 6 inches across the passender side.

One new windshield later, and all was good again. The underwear got tossed.

#23 ·
At least you lost it in a parking lot....I had one of those tire weights come at my windshield on a highway a few years back at highway speed. At first, it appeared to do no damage other than soil my britches from the loud bang it made. Then about 2 to 3 minutes later, the crack appeared, and spread about 6 inches across the passender side.

One new windshield later, and all was good again. The underwear got tossed.
That's one reason to not wear underwear. Although I have vinyl seats which are non absorbent so its ok.

#26 ·
I was lucky it happened where it did, but I had no idea what it was at the time. Being so thin, I didn't realize it was a wheel weight. All I knew was I heard a scrape and something fell off my car. I hate when something like that happens, I was so paranoid driving it, until I found out what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
We used tire prep witch was a strong cleaner for sticky stuff on rims painted, power coated, or jizzed on and we never had problems with any of it coming off. Never ruined paint or anything.

#30 · (Edited)
Yeah seriously. And add to the fact that I forgot AFS rims have like 1/4" lips on the rims so my 235s can't stretch out to the edge like I wanted. I think it looks fine but when my wife goes "is it supposed to look like that?" its like...ok... :(

Went so far as to start looking at putting 245s up there or even finding another set of 18x8/18x10 because these are $800 rims I got for $575 shipped and I know I could get $500 for them. The tires I have would literally be perfect for a 18x8/18x10 setup that has regular thin rim lips...

I need to stop that train of thought though because I don't think there are any rims out there that would look as good as these do, at least IMO. Plus the only 18x8s I'm seeing on AM are Bullitts which I don't want or ASW rims which I'd probably go for if I did do a switch at this point.

#31 ·
have a pic of the lip?

#32 ·
Front, the edge of the tire is pressing on the edge of the lip which should be thinner. At least the tires should be able to stretch out a little more but w/e.

Rear is better and what a 245 would look like up front probably.

Forgive the messy garage, its better now. I probably should jump up to 245 if I was going to be anal retentive about the fronts but that will be .3 taller and I'm already close clearance wise at a 26.3" tall tire. I also don't feel like spending more money on this right now although I would likely be cost neutral if I got a set of $500 18x8/18x10 rims on sale on AM and sold these for $500.

I'll sleep on it and see what I want to do. I am likely going to just leave it as is an enjoy it. I don't have a problem with it, the car drives beautifully and I don't park it on the street unless I have to and then I park like a foot away from the curb so I'm not worried about rash.

#33 ·
yeah I see it, but I don't think its bad imo i'd leave it, on a side note, damn those rims look sexy!!

#34 ·
Oh I know its not a problem, the car goes around corners like a bamf with the new setup vs sliding like it used to with the DRs. Also drove in to work today with it and found out when I got out to take my kid into pre-school that there was black ice all over the place. Car never missed a beat. These BFGs are continually impressing me already.

#35 · (Edited)
More pics, its starting to drive me nuts. I LOVE the rims but if I went wider as far as the tire it would be a 245 which would do precisely nothing or a 265/40/18 which would look dumb with the rear rim looking like it is and could cause clearance problems. I know I could sell these for nearly what I paid for them and I have a lot of interest in my old Bullitt wheels right now so I could buy a set of 18x8/18x10 rims this weekend and have them on next week if I wanted... I dunno I need to sleep on it.

Moar pics and why its tripping my OCD meter...

I paid $585 shipped, they are on sale again, I could probably sell mine for $450 locally and then get the AMRs. Or just put 255/40/18s on at 26" and call it a day. And then hope someone buys the 235s for $75 a pop or whatever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.