Mustang Evolution Forum banner

95 gts runs like crap HELP

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  95gt5.o 
#1 ·
so i bought a 95 mustang gts awhile back and i having trouble getting it to run right the idle jumps up and down 300 to 400 rpm after warm up and the engine starts to miss.also the rpms shoot up every time i shift Ive thrown a tone of money at it and at this point i don't know what to do.i have replaced the tps, iac, mass, fuel pump and filter, spark plugs and wires, dist cap and rotor, and set the timing to 14, for upgrades i have 70mm throttle body, under drive pulleys, bbk short tubes, offroad h, flowmaster mufflers, msd 6al and coil,fresh 3.73s

#2 ·
Start eliminating some of the aftermarket parts. If your throttle body is a BBK, they are notorious for causing issues. Put the stock TB back on and see if that helps. Also the stock 60mm throttle body is more than enough for a stock headed motor so you actually will see no gain going to the 70mm. I'd also pull the MSD box since you don't need it and its another potential cause for having an issue.

Finally, you did the cap and rotor but those rarely, if ever go bad on a 5.0. The distributor itself, however, is a known problem on these cars. Pull the cap off the dizzy and look in there, if you see a silvery powder in there the PIP (pickup) is likely the culprit. If you have a shop press you can replace just the PIP, if not you can get a rebuilt distributor for around $100.

#3 ·
the throttle body is made by professional product i got a good deal on it and it did not seem to make anything worse and nither did the msd6al but i need the 6al for my 2step.i changed the original cap and rotor because it had a bunch of silver crap in there and just assumed it was because they were bad so ill pick up distributor and see if that fixes it

#4 ·
Pro Products are also known to have issues. They are an unlicensed chinese knock off of Edelbrock products but if yours works it works.

#5 ·
Also, replace the coil when you do the dizzy/pip. I know you just did it but a bad PIP will eat a dizzy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.