95 gts runs like crap HELP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

Region: Washington
95 gts runs like crap HELP

so i bought a 95 mustang gts awhile back and i having trouble getting it to run right the idle jumps up and down 300 to 400 rpm after warm up and the engine starts to miss.also the rpms shoot up every time i shift Ive thrown a tone of money at it and at this point i don't know what to do.i have replaced the tps, iac, mass, fuel pump and filter, spark plugs and wires, dist cap and rotor, and set the timing to 14, for upgrades i have 70mm throttle body, under drive pulleys, bbk short tubes, offroad h, flowmaster mufflers, msd 6al and coil,fresh 3.73s
95gt5.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Start eliminating some of the aftermarket parts. If your throttle body is a BBK, they are notorious for causing issues. Put the stock TB back on and see if that helps. Also the stock 60mm throttle body is more than enough for a stock headed motor so you actually will see no gain going to the 70mm. I'd also pull the MSD box since you don't need it and its another potential cause for having an issue.

Finally, you did the cap and rotor but those rarely, if ever go bad on a 5.0. The distributor itself, however, is a known problem on these cars. Pull the cap off the dizzy and look in there, if you see a silvery powder in there the PIP (pickup) is likely the culprit. If you have a shop press you can replace just the PIP, if not you can get a rebuilt distributor for around $100.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #3

the throttle body is made by professional product i got a good deal on it and it did not seem to make anything worse and nither did the msd6al but i need the 6al for my 2step.i changed the original cap and rotor because it had a bunch of silver crap in there and just assumed it was because they were bad so ill pick up distributor and see if that fixes it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Pro Products are also known to have issues. They are an unlicensed chinese knock off of Edelbrock products but if yours works it works.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also, replace the coil when you do the dizzy/pip. I know you just did it but a bad PIP will eat a dizzy.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #6

found the problem it was a combination of a bad mass and broken plastic line under the throttle body

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT