Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Head gaskets.

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  5.oh 
#1 ·
So today I might very figured out where my coolant is going. The radiator smells like exhuast witch I believe usually means a bad head gasket. Does anyone have a recommendation on witch head gasket I should get? It's a 5.0 with stock heads. I just don't want to put a gasket on that's known to leak and the. Have to do this all over again.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#2 ·
Just order for a 90's model ford explorer 5.0. Only difference is the upper intake gasket so save yours from breaking and you won't even need it. Also $25 cheaper, I just ordered one for my 94 gt. I ordered a head gasket set for a 96 explorer but I need the upper intake gasket for my tubular intake.

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Get FELPRO that's all I use and never have a problem.

#4 ·
I've always used Fel Pro 9333 head gaskets for 5.0 builds/HCIs. Perfect every time. And if you are busting down to pull one head off, you might as well do them both IMO and add ARP studs while you are in there.

Hell, now would be a perfect time to upgrade to better heads/intake. Most ppl this happens to use it as an excuse to upgrade lol.

#5 ·
Yeah I was thinking about that. But I really don't have the money to do any of this. I just want it to stop burning up my coolant. I can do it again when I get some money to play around with. I really wish I could do it all at once like you say scotty but... money's tight for me rite now witch is unusual.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

One thing I wanna really do is at least find out what cam is in the car. Wouldn't I have to pull it out for that though?

#6 ·
You dont HAVE to, there are ways for you to get the measurements from putting a dial gauge on a pushrod and figuring out the lift/duration...

Also... its which. Not witch. A witch flies on a broom or/and shoots avada kadavra at you. /grammar

#7 ·
Haha! Thanks. I found it it's not the head gasket. Good cause it'll give me time so when I do go to replace them I can put new heads and cam in.
I knew that.. auto correct isn't usually correct.

The thermostat isn't opening All the way at 190 and backing up coolant into my resevoir. It's a junkyard thermostat, I pocketed it when I got the new waterneck and thru it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.