Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Rack n pinion installation

1K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  5.oh 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to pull the rack out of another car and install in mine. Never done one before, looking for any tips or need to know info. Anything helps, thank you

#9 ·
Make sure both steering tires are both facing as strait as possible before you disconnect it.that way when you out it in the other car you just have to make sure the steering wheel is as straight as possible. That way the rack is straight when you pull it out and the wheel in the car it's going in is also straight.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 02:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 AM ----------

The shaft is just one cross bolt. It goes in a notch that comes out the shaft of the rack and pinion

#10 ·
Sweet that's exactly what I was looking for. Common sense was telling me that's how it should be done but sometime your common sense can get you into trouble. Best to just ask. Using a turkey Baster if I pull as much power steering fluid out as possible just whatever's in the lines is what I need to be worried about?

#11 ·
Yeah, easiest thing to do would be to locate the bottom hose that returns to it from under the pump and pull it from the cooler. F a turkey baster. Lol either way will work though. Just quicker and you can lay down on the ground while doing it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.