Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Foxbody needs help!!

Tags
fox body
8K views 51 replies 9 participants last post by  5.oh 
#1 ·
I have an 89 Foxbody lx coupe. It has trickflow heads, 1.7 roller rockers,24lbs injectors, gt40 upper and lower, 255lph fuel pump, 3row radiator, bama tune. CAI, e-303 cam and I got it timed and stuff by professionals but when driving the car sometimes it'll just completely shutoff I replaced the I ac sensor and ignition module and I can't figure out what it is! Like it'll just die while driving or sometimes rev real high and stay there till I shut the car down please help!

#8 ·
If it smells like gas then that means it's not burning it. Try a new TFI coil. Cap and rotor would help also. Sounds like you have a intermittent problem with spark. Start with all the spark components.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#11 ·
MSD's are a 50/50 chance of getting a good one

#14 ·
If your stock distributor is in decent shape, I'd try swapping that in as well as the TFI. I agree it sounds like you've having intermittent spark issues. Do you have a stock coil laying around too? It would be nice if you could swap one of those in just to check. Of course, swap all of these components one at a time. Then you'll know which one is at fault.

Let us know if you have any luck!

Shane

#13 ·
Definitely check the distributor and see what's going on there. This is a very odd issue. Have you always had this problem?

Also, you can give the Bama team a call and see if we can make any adjustments to your tune for you!

-Dan

#15 ·
This problem only started after all those mods I listed iv had a MSD coil on it before the mods and it ran fine, I already had a long talk with BAMA tuning because the tune definitely hates my car most of the time but I will try to swap my old TFI on the brand new distributor and see what happens

#16 ·
Does it all of the sudden die or does it start dying like it is running out of batteries?

I would run the codes.

Also run without the chip to see if it still happens.

#17 ·
It'll die like il be cruising and then it shut off like no stutter or shake and it did the same thing without the tune but not as bad. Then sometimes il be driving and it like dies and has loss of power but if I keep on the gas it'll keep tuning till I let off

#18 ·
I too have a msd blaster TFI coil. It's really good in my opinion. The distributor gotta go. I've heard a lot of bad about those, mainly because our cars do not like the ignition switch. There not hip with the newer style spark enhancement if you wanna call it. You can use the stock distributor and out the new msd cap and rotor on the stock dizzy. Bout the only way you can get anything good outta it.

#19 ·
Take off the coil wire in the middle and off the coil. Clean the terminals with a wire brush as good as possible. Take the cap off with the wires still connected and clean the middle terminal and the middle terminal on the rotor. You should be set after that.

#23 ·
Does it run rough all of the time or is it intermittent? At first I was under the impression it was intermittent. Which is why it sounds like a mechanical spark issue. However, if the issue is all of the time, than it could be a few other things too.

Let us know how the coil and TFI swap goes!

Shane

#27 ·
Code

O= KOEO
R= KOER
M= memory, continuous

24..Intake Air Temperature/Air Charge Temperature Sensor Out Of Self Test Range. 0.3 volts (250°F) to 3.7 volts (50°F)(O,R)
A code 24 is normal to get logged if a KOEO self test is performed with a cold engine or air temp is below 50°F. A code 24 is also normal to get logged if a KOER self test is performed with the air temp below ~100°F.

31.. EGR Valve Position/Pressure Feedback EGR Circuit Below Minimum Voltage. 0.24 volts (O,M,R)
Disconnect EVP sensor and install jumper wire between the EVP and VREF terminals.... run a KOEO.
Code 31 should not show as an OD type code and should be replaced by code 34 and/or 35.

67.. Park Neutral Position Switch Circuit Open; A/C On -Manual (O), Manual Lever Position Sensor Out Of Range/A/C On (M,O), Clutch Switch Circuit Failure (M)

Was the transmission in gear when the KOEO was run?...... if so, repeat the KOEO with the trans in neutral.... if it was in neutral, repeat the KOEO while you press the clutch pedal and hold it down for the duration of KOEO self-test.

1. Make sure pin 30 sees a ground condition when you press the clutch pedal or the transmission is in-neutral. You can temporarily splice into pin 30 wire and install a jumper wire to a ground at the frame to check if code 67 disappears..... if not.....

2. Check pin 10 at the ECM connector (ACCS signal) with a DVOM for 12-vdc IGN ON, if 12 vdc are present, need to trace that wire for a short to power.....

81.. Secondary Air Diverter Circuit Failure (O)
TAD solenoid circuit is open, if you're not using the AIR pump...... all you need to install in the solenoid connector is a 75 ohm 3watt resistor

82.. Secondary Air Bypass Circuit Failure (O)

84.. EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) Control Circuit Failure (O)

85.. CANP Circuit Failure (O)
Is what vents the gas tank from the fuel vapors accumulated by its "breathing".

33, 81, 82, 84, 85, 44 & 94 are what's called “Soft-Codes” which do not effect the
engines fuel / spark programming. Soft-Codes harmlessly stay dormant in the
computer. They're only purpose is to help you repair those systems back to
original factory specs. Soft Codes will not turn on the Check Engine Light.
There is a resistor pack already built into the harness for the EGR Valve Position
Sensor. No other resistors are required.
Codes 33, 81, 82, 84, 85, are normal when the smog solenoids CANP, EGR, TAB & TAD are deleted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.