91 GT, noise coming from axle. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
91 GT, noise coming from axle.

I've got a 91 GT, mostly bolt ons with the exception of a upgraded clutch, and bigger cam.

the guy I traded for it said it has some sort of locker in the rear, I haven't had it apart to verify, all I know is it has 3.73's and it spins both wheels all the time.

Anyhow, I noticed a weird sound from the rear end, if I grab onto the inside of the rear quarters and pull the car side to side I get a loud clunking thats heard the loudest by the drums.. the only other noises I've heard in the back is before I replaced the rear shocks I had some odd sounds when taking tight turns with people in the back seat.. other than that the only other sound I've gotten is just some brake scraping that I fixed for a day or 2 by cleaning out the drums.

I'm not exactly sure what it could be. it doesn't look like the wheels themselves are moving side to side or the drums. but the sounds definately coming from that area.

me and my brother are going to take the rear wheels, drums, and diff cover off tomoro and check it out. do you guys have any ideas of what it could be? or anything to look for in particular? I'm wondering if its the c-clips, my brothers thinking the wheel bearings maybe but I haven't had any grinding/scraping sounds that say wheel bearings.

any ideas? thanks.
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Do you get it when it's turning or what?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
5.oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
sorry to take so long to reply, the day after I posted I came down with a awful stomach flu lol

Anyhow, we took the diff cover off, pulled the axles and checked the bearings and everything and it all looks to be in like new condition.. no unusual wear, no shavings, no chips out of any of the metal. I talked to a buddy that used to track a 90 lx 5.0 every season and he said his made the same noise, along with a couple of friends of his. in fact, his buddy that drifts his said his does it and he still drifts it with no problems.. so idk.
it doesnt do it while driving or spinning the wheels, I actually found the sound by accident while trying to replicate and track down another sound that turned out to be an interior panel shifting in my hatch.

also, while I was in there, found out it is a normal trak-lok center section, and 3.08 gears.. not 3.73's like I was under the impression they were. so those will be changed at some point.
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Its kool
Yeah, they tend to make noise sometimes. Mine does it when I'm turning right mainly.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
5.oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT