Broken Bolts in Timing Cover - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Broken Bolts in Timing Cover

Hey There All You "STANGSTERS",
I'm in the process of doing sort of a Budget Build...but not exactly; as I tend to get carried away with things. I have just about everything to do my build from All New Bolts, Gaskets, Bearings, Seals, Rings to GT40 3-Bar Heads w/ Dual Valve Springs with Dampers, 1.6 Roller Rockers, E303 Cam, BBK 65mm T-Body, 80mm MAF / 24-lb. & 24-lb injectors, etc... I have all my parts except for things I need Measurements for.
Anyways, Bought an 88 Mustang 302 Block a couple weeks ago & started tearing it down to replace everything. Took the Water pump & Harmonic Balancer off
& found 2 Broken Bolts in the Timing Cover. Hope I can figure out how to post a pic of it. Anyways there's 1-on the Left & 1-on the Right. One sticks out about 1" & the other is Broken off Flush to the Timing Cover. I tried to turn the one out with Vise Grips to No Avail. Grips just Tear the Bolt up. I've never had any luck drilling & using extractors.
Now I'm told the timing cover should slide off over the 2 Broken Bolts...but I'm not too sure about that as I have the bottom of the Cover loose as can be but there seems to be a lot of tension where the 2 Bolts are. The Gaskets aren't holding it as I've Slid a Thin piece of plastic all the way around the cover freely.
My question is: Should the Timing Cover Slide off over the 2 Broken Bolts?
Is there any chance at all it could be threaded?
Sure want to get going on this build but these bolts are holding me up big time.
If I can get the cover off I plan on welding Nuts on the Broken Bolts to get them out. Let me know guys. Help is Appreciated. THX !!!!
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It sounds like your problem stems from the broken bolts keeping the timing cover from jumping over the front seal of the oil pan.
ALMOST STOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'll check that out

This is my 1st build & I'm learning as I go. I'll check that after work tomorrow.
The Pan is off. The oil Pump, Pistons & Rods are out & I have all the Main Caps off the Crank. Can it still be the Seal???
Thanks for the info...I'll definitely check that out.
In the process of uploading pics of it now along with all my build parts.
The last couple pics will show the Broken Bolts.
Pics are loading slow so it may take a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

PICS POSTED

I got pics posted of the Broken Bolts now. If you'll Look under my pics ( 5.0 Build )
you'll see them along with some of the parts I took Pics of so far. More pics to come when I start actually putting it all together.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:09 AM   #5

Region: Georgia
the broken bolts are sticking to the timing cover due to either rust or silicone. try to get some pb blaster and spray it in the cover around the bolts and let it soak and see if it will loosen up. but it will still be tight coming off.
tlcason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Broke Timing Cover

Just my luck !!! Got the long bolt out with a pipe wrench. Tried to wiggle off the timing cover & snapped the housing around the bolt. Unfortunately, the bolt broke off too & now it's flush to the block. Ready to toss this Block in the trash as I found another one for $100 & the machine shop wants more than that to remove the bolts.
Good News is I got the Forged Pistons & Rods I wanted. Bad News...I could have bought New ones for the price I paid for this Block.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT