95 gt computer swop to A9L - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
95 gt computer swop to A9L

What are all the parts that I need to switch to the A9L computer?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
carlosmorris29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you are fortunate enough to find a 1st generation PIH kit that stopped being made back in the early 2000s (I sold one 2 years ago for $350) it is plug and play. If not, there is re-pinning involved. On top of that you need:

-BAP sensor
-Fan Controller
-Ignition box

BAP sensor because the 94/95 does not have a standalone like the foxes, fan controller because the foxes used a mechanical fan and the 94/95s used an electronic fan and ignition box because the ignition dwell in the 94/95 is different than the fox and your RPMs will cut out at 4,000 if you try to use the stock SN95 ignition with the A9L. I recommend the Crane HI-6.

I'll try to dig up the wiring stuff later but I'm at work. I'd google "A9L swap" and you should get directed to multiple forums that have a how to or will re-direct you to more helpful stuff.

You are likely going to have to re-pin because getting ahold of a 1st generation PIH is about impossible not to mention they will run $300+. I wish I had not sold mine a few years ago but if I ever do get another 94/95 it will be a Cobra and I'll just do the re-pin.

Oh, speaking of Cobras, if you have a Cobra you will need to have the A9L tuned for 24lb injectors. You can also use a "calibrated" (hacked) MAF for 24s but that is not the optimal way to do it. If you have a GT just use the stock GT MAF as the 94/95 one is fine for what the stock motor can output.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosmorris29 View Post
What are all the parts that I need to switch to the A9L computer?

carlosmorris29,

Is there any particular reason you're looking to swap out your factory '95 Mustang PCM for the A9L from the Foxbody? I know a while back a lot of guys were doing this because not many tuners felt comfortable tuning the 94/95 PCM's. However, that's really not the case anymore. I know a few tuners, including Bama, that prefer the 94/95 PCM for more extreme builds. It's a faster PCM with more parameters, especially ones that represent engine load.

I'm not saying the A9L swap is a terrible thing to do, it just doesn't seem necessary to me if you have a good tuner. Of course, if your tuner prefers the A9L, that's a difference story too.

Just wanted to chime in and potentially help you save a few bucks from doing the swap. If you prefer the swap, there's nothing wrong with that either.

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info Scotty. @ Shane I bought the SCT Bama chip and I am having some issues with it. I have to admit I didn't send it back. I was just frustrated. I thought it was the computer and not the chip and even got a second stock computer and still had issues. Maybe I should have sent the chip and computer to AM to look at.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've had multiple tuners on a 95 J4J1 Cobra computer. Only one was able to get it close to behaving like the A9L did stock. Now... AF was dead on and the car made great power for what it was but the throttle response and drivability was never like the A9L was. Every single person I've ever talked to who did the swap including myself highly recommends it.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just trying to get my car to run like it should with the mods I have but the Bama chip hasn't worked for me. I don't know if it me or something else but here in Sacramento ca. I can't find anybody that knows 94-95 problems.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Bama chip probably isn't working for you because the 94/95 computers are finicky and you really need to be at a shop that can hook you up to a wideband and dial it in vs a canned tune.

I had a bolt on Cobra with the A9L swap and I never had to touch the computer until I did my HCI. Car ran like a raped ape. When I did the HCI I went back to the J4J1 because it does have a faster processor with more tuning features and I live near 2 or 3 really good tuners (not big daddy) who can tune the 94/95 but even with a perfect tune it just didn't feel as responsive as it did with the un-tuned A9L while it was a bolt on car.

As for up by Sacramento... I'd keep calling around. SOMEONE has to be able to tune the 94/95. I mean even bone as stock you see a huge gain from tuning them because it gets rid of the tip-in ****** and the terribad fuel tables.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

About what am I looking at price wise to do the swop?

Old 05-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well see how you feel about doing the re-pin first. And look up the prices on the parts I listed. BAP sensor, fan controller, A9L ecu and ignition box. Re-pin and install are free if you DIY. I doubt any shop is going to re-pin your harness for you though.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosmorris29 View Post
Thanks for the info Scotty. @ Shane I bought the SCT Bama chip and I am having some issues with it. I have to admit I didn't send it back. I was just frustrated. I thought it was the computer and not the chip and even got a second stock computer and still had issues. Maybe I should have sent the chip and computer to AM to look at.

I'd definitely get your SCT chip back to the Bama Team so they can make some adjustments and help dial in your Mustang. I certainly wouldn't blame it on the PCM. These cars can be tricky to dial in sometimes since there's no datalogging feature with the SCT chip, but that doesn't mean it can't be dialed in!

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I've had multiple tuners on a 95 J4J1 Cobra computer. Only one was able to get it close to behaving like the A9L did stock. Now... AF was dead on and the car made great power for what it was but the throttle response and drivability was never like the A9L was. Every single person I've ever talked to who did the swap including myself highly recommends it.
I do know the A9L is easier to tune from scratch, but the 94/95 PCM's seem to be a bit quicker and more responsive. Which is one reason it takes time to dial them in, but they'll perform better in the end once fully calibrated perfectly.

This past year I "worked" (verbally advised) a build with my cousin's 1995 GT. He went with a 363ci Dart block (302 based) and a Ti-V1 Vortech supercharger. Since he was already tied with a shop in Delaware, they tuned it with his stock '95 PCM. I gotta say, the car is heavily modified and makes just a hair under 700rwhp with pump gas and has zero drive-ability issues. Throttle response is killer and the car really gets up and goes.

This is just an example of how the '94/'95 PCM is capable of being tuned perfectly. I don't see any reason to swap to the A9L without trying to dial in your factory PCM first.

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe I'm impatient. Sending the chip back and forth from California to A M. I just want it to work. I'll get the info and send it back to A M.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT