Mustang Evolution Forum banner

To supercharge or not to supercharge...

3K views 39 replies 5 participants last post by  Foxbody401 
#1 ·
Been lookin into the self lubricated vortech street boost system puttin out 5-6lbs of boost. Wondering what you guys thoughts are on this and how it'd work with my current setup.

Current mods are:
302(bored 30 over)
port and polished heads
Ford Racing b303 cam
Ford Racing 1.6 roller rockers
BBK underdrive pullies
BBK 65mm throttle bodie
Ford Racing 24lbs/hr injectors
Ford Racing 9mm plug wires
polished intake valve covers
Drive train:
Ford Racing 3.73.1 gears
Hays tork loc clutch
Hurst Competition short shifter
Exhaust:
Mac shorty headers
Mac h-pipe
Flowmaster 2-chambers ss/tips
Raceland Coilovers
Ford Racing sub frame connectors

See less See more
#2 ·
They work great with stock setups, will work great with yours too. Hopefully you used a good headgasket and ARP bolts/studs when doing the rebuild on the motor.

Get a good set of injectors in there and an upgraded fuel pump and a vortech and you'll make 400+ to the tires all day.

#4 ·
39s will work but I hope you aren't planning on using the Cobra injectors, they are jetted for 2 intake valves and don't atomize properly in a single intake valve app. I'd just get a good set of 42s honestly. For the pump, your standard 255lph is good.

#6 ·
More than just "get a tuner" you need a custom dyno tune IMMEDIATELY after install. Best practice is to put it on a trailer and tow it to your dyno tuner. You should only start it up and let it idle to make sure that there are no leaks or any potential issues before shutting it off again taking it there.

#8 ·
Doesn't matter what my thoughts are because they won't tune for you even now since you have an aftermarket cam.

When I say custom dyno tune I mean you take your car to a shop, they put it on the dyno, hook up a wideband and burn you a tune for YOUR specific car. Honestly with the F cam in there you should be getting a tune regardless of whether you supercharge or not.

#11 ·
$600 give or take. Re-tunes won't be that much though.

#13 · (Edited)
I've got that kit on my Fox. I'm glad I did It. I upgraded it with a UPR Boostmaster pipe and went from 4 to 7 psi. I don't have it tuned as its not required for the low boost kit, and its been running that way for a few years now; but its always a great idea to get one. Plus I'll probably pick up a few more ponies lol

I should also say that anymore boost then that kit produces out of the box and you'll need a tune too.....

#15 ·
Vortech states their low boost kit does not require a tune. Typically you would tune for higher lb injectors, but I used a c&l sample tube instead. The vortech fmu is calibrated for 19's, but I've had no issues with mine. And the 255lph I have gives me room to grow!

#18 ·
No I've got 24's in there. The c&l maf housing allows you to use a metal tube that you can screw in to fool your maf that is calibrated for 19's to not run rich or lean if you change the injector size. A tune is definitely better, but its worked fine for me. If you've been running 24's already, do you have a tune?

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Ideally I want to ditch the fmu and get it tuned. I'll make more power lol

#21 ·
Oh gotcha. Well you might not need the fmu then. But because you don't know what it was tuned for, it might be a good idea to get it tuned afterwards. And it has to he a dyno. Dont do a canned tune. There not good for a F.I. car. It needs to be put on a roller and hooked to a computer.

#35 ·
Haven't been on here in a long time. Didn't end up gettin the blower. Ended up goin with a 331 Stroker setup. Block from coast high performance rated at 550 hp with forged internals. Trick flow stage 1 top end. But the motor is built up and ready for a blower at any point ??? Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Cobalt blue
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Machine
oh yeah and a shaved bay

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#29 ·
To put a supercharger on it you need to make sure your frame is strong enough. Build up your frame first because if your car doesn't have enough strength in the frame. The supercharger is going to ruin your car and twist the frame.

Sent from Galaxy S4
No it isn't, not with what the stock internals can take. Also not without a more radical suspension setup and even then.

With that said, I would not be doing a supercharger until I had at least a decent suspension setup and some good full length subframes welded in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.