A/C leaking? Can't find the leak? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
A/C leaking? Can't find the leak?

Hey guys, I have a 94 gt and the ac keeps looseing pressure. I have a lot of refrigerant tools and a big tank of r134a but I need to find the leak. I put dye in the system and looked for it with the blacklight and special glasses. For some reason it will take around 4 days for the system to loose enough pressure for the compressor safety switch to disable it. Also it never goes flat, the system never goes less than 8pounds on the low side, but that's not enough? Anyone know where there may be a common leak spot to check?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #2

Region: Texas
Just went through this same scenario with my 95 GT. Over time the Freon will permeate through the hoses. Once this happens it will continue to leak through them. Most old a/c systems will go through this. A deteriorated o-ring can also do it, but is less likely, as I think it would leak down faster. The fact it only drops to a certain pressure, then stops also make me think of the hoses. Worst case would be your evaporator having a leak at a solder joint. Good luck if that's it

Jim
Vettn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettn71 View Post
Just went through this same scenario with my 95 GT. Over time the Freon will permeate through the hoses. Once this happens it will continue to leak through them. Most old a/c systems will go through this. A deteriorated o-ring can also do it, but is less likely, as I think it would leak down faster. The fact it only drops to a certain pressure, then stops also make me think of the hoses. Worst case would be your evaporator having a leak at a solder joint. Good luck if that's it

Jim
Thanks man, just trying to decide if it's worth the time or money to fix

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Its worth the money the first time you get in a black interior with no AC in 90+ degreees lol. I drove a fox with the AC removed for over a year and that summer sitting on the vinyl was BRUTAL. Also any traffic jam meant I was sweating balls and hating life. It was fast as a mother though...

What Vettn said is correct although, it is likely the hoses or a hard part. You'd see dye if it was an o-ring IMO. Often you can get an entire rebuilt AC assembly from ebay or wherever for pretty cheap and install is easy on a Mustang. I had the AC "black death" happen to my Honda CRV (2002-2006 were prone to it) and I was able to score an complete AC system for $500 shipped brand new. I'd imagine a Mustang would be similar or cheaper.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info, I know it's cheating and a real mechanic would never do this but I'm so fed up with it I'm considering putting a/c stop leak in it if I can't find it. It's pissing me off. Btw I'm regretting putting a black convertible top on today. I live in the suburbs and was stuck in traffic and the top bakes you like a oven, and if you put the top down you get the worst sunburn ever. Lose lose situation.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It sounds like you've diagnosed the A/C system with a "fine toothed comb"...
If this were a hose or an O-ring, you probably would have found the leak.
Well, the only part of the system left to check is the evaporator. Its, inconveniently, located inside of the heater/evap box that is tucked up, neatly, under the dashboard.
That's probably the only part that you haven't checked because you can't. I understand that you need some kind of specialized equipment to check the evaporator for leaks. The dealership or perhaps a shop that specializes in automotive a/c systems might have the ability to diagnose if it's leaking or not.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, bought it into the shop I work at today and my boss couldent figure it out either. I'm going to let it go flat again down to 8psi then check the evaporator.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT