What can I remove ??? (No Emissions Req.) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
What can I remove ??? (No Emissions Req.)

Well I've been posting about the motor I'm having built & how to make the new set up work to pass emissions. Today I talked to my dad & it turns out there's no emissions where he lives (less than 50 mi.s away) so I'm registering my car there.
So...Now I can get rid of the emissions stuff.
I know I can remove the smog pump so what do I do with the lines that are welded in by the cats? I'm guessing there's a Smog Pump Delete Pulley Available somewhere?
What about the EGR Stuff? Will deleting any of this stuff make any dash lights come on? Will removing anything cause problems with the computer?
Let me know as much as possible as I'll be installing my new motor in 2-3 weeks.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
So then you will be getting a new drivers license? Then what are planning to do about your car insurance?

Getting caught registering your car in another state will be one Very Large fine if your caught.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Its probably another county but it all depends on what laws are in that state as far as what fines/penalties can happen.

As for the question... Deleting the EGR is purely cosmetic as far as performance goes. No benefit except a cleaner engine bay and your tuner will have to completely disable the EGR function in the EEC. You can completely get rid of all the crossover crap in the back of the heads which you have probably done. As for the smog pump, you can remove that too but I would strongly recommend not running cats if you get rid of the pump as the cats can get effing HOT without it supplying air.

I will end with this disclaimer, it is a FEDERAL offense to remove or disable any emissions equipment on a vehicle so equipped from the factory. With that said, TONS of ppl run offroad pipes and delete EGR/smog stuff but be aware of this fact in case you didn't know. You can have 0 inspections of any sort in bum**** Egypt but that doesn't trump federal law.

edit: As far as the CEL, my 95 did not throw any codes at all with EVERYTHING removed except the EGR while it was a bolt on car. Ran great and I didn't have to worry about the EGR BS or having to pay for a tune session for just that. I had swapped a A9L into that car while it was bolt on only which is a much happier computer when it comes to bolt ons. Once tunes come into play, a good tuner can make the 94/95 computers perform just fine.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 03:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Mainly wanted to remove the EGR so I could use 87-93 Headers as the 94-95 has the EGR port on the passenger side header. 94-95 Headers are about $70-$100 more...I guess for that reason.
I think my next car will be pre 1966 so I can do whatever I want to it. It stinks having a motor all cleaned up, painted & polished when you have all that crap cluttering everything up. Guess I'll have to use it though from what you guys are saying.
Back to waiting till Sept. to install the motor then so I can go through emissions before the engine swap. So that means paying another 3 months of storage to let my motor sit.
Another added cost I hate !!!!
I'm one of those people who want to see a physical item in his hand for his money...not air...lol. When I pay for storage to let something sit...I get Air for my $$$ is how I feel.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just run it through emissions with the cats on it and the CEL bulb pulled out of the cluster. They don't plug into OBD1 cars and it should pass the sniffer no problem. Passing visual depends on the shop and if the tech is having a bad day or not. See how stringent they are in your state. Also with the amount of vehicles that roll through you have to realize a tech probably isn't going to know what he/she is looking at on 80-90% of the vehicles that come through and rely more on a check engine light. If they peek under for cats... that is easy. Just swap in the stock pipe or run dummy cats or just run a good high flow catted pipe since they really don't cost you any power until you get in the 400-500hp range and even then...

Back in this state when they were supposed to do visual checks they NEVER did. They even used to run over a camera to verify for cats but they don't now here. You either pass the sniffer with a pre-OBDII car or the OBDII car's computer says "ok" and you are good. So I could have ZERO emissions stuff on mine and just turn off all the DTCs via a tuner and run MIL eliminators for no cats. One reason I am in a modular honestly, no sniffer.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm currently running all 2.5" pipe with only 2 High Flow Cats with X-Pipe & Glass Packs with New O2 Sensors. The whole exhaust is less than 6 months old.
I ran the exact same exhaust system on my 04 Mustang V6 & it had no problem at emissions...but that was a plug in under the dash OBD2. Not sure how it will do on a V8 with a Sniffer test.
Remember me telling you how there are no Air Intake Ports on the GT40 Heads & I was going to just make them appear hooked up? Well .... Is there a way to just disconnect those lines & leave the lines for the cats? Haven't taken a real good look at how those lines run yet.
I pulled a CEL light out on an 02 Mustang I had & every time I started the car it would make this Ding, Ding, Ding sound for like 2-3 minutes before it would stop. Sold it a few months after I got it cause it had Hail Damage.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Scotty, How do you post pics with what you're typing? Can not figure it out.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just open a photobucket account and copy the url code of your pic into whatever you are posting.

As for the lines you are talking about. You can run a line directly from the smog pump to the cat air input if you really wanted to. I did it to keep any potential NJ inspector happy but nobody ever said anything either way so I eventually just got rid of it too and it was fine.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Now a days removing emissions parts don't really gain any HP. Air pump, get, cats, etc will not be restrictive unless you have a heavily modified car. People mainly do it to remove weight (although very little) and for a cleaner appearance. But really isn't worth it, and you would have to tune the codes out because messing with any of these will throw a check engine light.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I'm thinking I should leave the emissions stuff. Was trying to find a way to use the 87-93 headers instead of 94-95 specific headers cause they're cheaper. Stupid EGR port on 94-95 Headers !!! 94-95 Mustangs are a PITA when it comes to some parts as they have to be 94-95 or wont work. Shaft size different on Water Pump, Headers different, Brackets & Pulley's different, etc., etc.... Makes no since to me why they changed the stuff for 2 years. Should have just used the 87-93 design so parts would all interchange.
No matter what I have to fake the Smog Pump hook up to the back of the heads as E7 Heads have an air intake port on the back of them & GT40 Heads don't.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT