How to pull a motor ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
How to pull a motor ?

Hey guys,
Anyone know of a Video that shows you how to pull a motor? Not real worried about the Mechanical end of things. It's the wiring that scares me.
Not sure if there's a way to take the wiring off with the motor or not. Hoping there's just a couple of plugs to undo & the wiring will come out with the motor so I can put both motors next to each other & swap out the wiring. That way I can see where everything goes. Sure hope I don't have to spend hours labeling each wire.
This will be my 1st engine pull so I'd really like to see a video on it 1st or at least some step by step instructions. I've pulled an automatic tranny b4 but never a stick so not real sure about that either. Haven't found anything good on U-Tube as of yet & all I have is a Chiltons to go by.
Looking to pull the motor next weekend so I only have a week to find out how. Need to get a few parts off the old motor to put on my new motor but need the motor out to do so as the fly wheel is one of those parts & I want to get it re-surfaced. Also need the P,S. & Alt. Brackets, Fuel Rails & a couple other small parts.
Thanks for the help in advance. I need as much info as I can get.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Lol
NO!
You're going to have to label stuff if you think its going to be a problem.
It looks worse than it really is, though. Once you get started, you'll see that it's pretty difficult to get things mixed up.
The hard part is making sure that everything gets connected back up.
If I'm unfamiliar with an engine, I'll use a roll of blue masking tape, and write where each vacuum line or electrical connector, gets connected and wrap it around the piece. Then as I'm reassembling, I remove the tape and it makes it easy to tell if something doesn't get reinstalled.
Just take your time and remember how it all comes apart and you'll do fine.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
^+1
It never hurts to take good pictures as you go along also. As stated though, it's pretty hard to mess it up, everything pretty much falls into place on these 5.0's.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well it all sounds good... But I think I might have just a little trouble when it comes to knowing what the part is called when I try to label it. Also not sure if the locations of these parts (mainly sensors) will go back in the same places as I'm using a GT40 Intake & GT40 (3-Bar) Heads off an Explorer. I already know there's No Air Intake Port on the back of GT40 Heads & there is on E7 Heads so I have to Bend & Fake Connect those lines.
Just wondering what else will be different. I'm pretty sure the lines on the upper intake hook up different. Trying to figure out which line to connect to what would be much easier with a diagram...lol. I believe I found a Video of how to do it though.
When I look under the hood I just see so many wires it worries me. I've never been good with electrical stuff.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If anyone can tell me what to take off in what order that would be great. I plan to remove the Fan, Radiator, Strut tower brace, Battery, CAI & Hood to get started after I drain the fluids & disconnect the hoses & Label the wires.
Where do I go from there??? Everyone says take the transmission out with the motor because it's much easier to get the trans lined back up so that is the plan.
What do I unbolt & in what order???
Old 06-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Do it like it says in your Chilton's repair manual.
As far as labeling goes, put TWO labels on each piece with corresponding numbers so you'll know where to reinstall.
You'll see how it's all laid out while you're taking it apart. Once you get the wire looms in place, during assembly, everything just plugs right in. It's pretty self-explanatory.
The vacuum lines can be slightly more difficult but again, labeling and taking pics, like Dion said, will help eliminate the confusion during reassembly.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

For your first time, Chiltons will be your friend.

You can kind of start wherever you want..... Under the car or in the front. You are going to be removing all the harnesses first. This will be the tedious part. After that, I would move under the car for the trans harness and o2 sensors. Drop the driveshaft. Drain all fluids and remove the radiator, fan and shroud. Then it's going to be just unbolting everything... Trans mounts, motor mounts, etc.

It will be a huge help to have a friend or two on hand to assist with moving things out if the way and have a pry bar handy as well.

The biggest thing is take your time and try to be as thorough as possible.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You'll want to pull the engine with most of the accessories off. You can lay them to the side in the engine bay. And you also want the upper intake off for removal and install.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The Mechanical end of it sounds pretty easy according to what I've read in Chilton's.
Only they're only telling me how to do it with the trans disconnected & I'd like to pull the Trans with the motor. I'm sure I can figure it out once I get under the car & get started.
Hoping the Chilton's will show me a Engine Bay Wiring Harness Diagram. I'll check when I get back from the boneyard. Make my monthly trip there to see if I find anything I can use.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT