Serious electronic problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Serious electronic problem

Ok guys maby yall can help me a bit I have a 1989 gt convertable and I recently changed my dash lights to the blue panel u can buy and I had to take off my switches to do that but anyways I have all brand new bulbs the side lights used to work and after the install they do not work anymore well anyways on my way home from church I was going quite fast all of a sudden my lights just shut off and stayed off pitch black on the hwy could of got my self killed and it did it about 4 more times after that the left switch top headlights maby its probably the switch or something?? Also for the first time my car did not want to start it just cranked over almost starting I teyed it a second time and I had to pump it then it was fine maby gas wasn't getting to it? Or something if yall know anything about that thanks a lot also about the lights thanks for that to and thanks for reading this long story I just wrote have a good day.

galaxy s4
kyle_rivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
More than likely your headlight switch is bad. Its getting hot and "breaking" contact when expanding inside. The starting issue could be your pump going bad by losing its "prime" or Maybe your regulator is bad and not keeping fuel in the rail.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
havhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man

galaxy s4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Sounds like you bought REVERSE GLOW GAUGE plate that lights up Blue.
You took your switches out to connect / splice in the wiring for the gauges.
So...I would think your electrical problem is in your splice. It's probably touching something & grounding out.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
What alternator do you have? Cause it could be the alternator isn't charging enough and so with that much power it kills it
SexiLilFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
Sounds like you bought REVERSE GLOW GAUGE plate that lights up Blue.
You took your switches out to connect / splice in the wiring for the gauges.
So...I would think your electrical problem is in your splice. It's probably touching something & grounding out.

Good point !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Frenchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

No the glow gauge dosent need to splice it has its own power and ya it could be the alternator because its probably the original factory one?

galaxy s4
Old 07-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It has it's own power ??? What is it battery operated ? The ones I installed always had wires coming off it that had to be spliced in. Never seen one that had it's own power before. Must be something they came out with in the past couple of years. I had one that had a little box you mounted under the dash that had a knob & you could change it to about 10 different colors.
But never one that had it's own power.
I guess it could be your alternator. Just seems odd it would go out right after you did the gauges.
Sounds like you're having several issues with that car from the posts I've read. Seems like it needs a good overhaul. You're probably better off concentrating on fixing the things that are wrong with it before worrying about Super Chargers & Cosmetics. The 1st year with my car I did nothing but fix everything I found wrong with it. Then I knew if the car was worth sinking my $$$ in.
2nd year...I did the Exhaust, CAI, 3-Core Radiator, Optima Battery & stuff Like that. Things I could Remove from the car should it give me trouble.
Now it's the 3rd year & since my car has 175 K mi.'s on it I decided to build a better motor for it & change out all my Suspension Bushings, Shocks & Struts.
My motor is 80% complete & I'm finishing up my suspension this weekend.
So..My Advice Is...Slow Down & work on it little by little.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
From my experience I find it hard to believe that your alternator is causing this problem. If you had alternator issues it wouldnt just affect your dash lights. Recheck your wiring and then check the headlight switch.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
havhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I know what you mean bu slow down but its just minor questions my motor is rebuilt my interior is re done all new tires all new breaks everything under the hood is brand new I have all brend new exhaust xpipe super 10s paint and body work is done and im just asking questions so I don't do anything wrong I like to me 100% sure before I start messing with things for example the supercharger I asked if it would fit on ny car stock or not do I need to upgrade heads or anything I wasn't getting it I was just being smart instead of waisting about 3 grand on something I cant use so now I will be able to save up for it ifbu understand where im comeing from

galaxy s4
Old 07-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I do...I do the same thing.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I thinking It could be your alternator because my car would die easily when I added a sub and amp in my car. Pay attention to your battery meter when you turn your lights on and off. If it fluctuates by being off and on then I would get your alternator checked.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If it's a stock 95 amp altonator it's barley enough to power everything stock.i would upgrade that when you get the chance

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Liebert91stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Exactly. That's what I am gonna do. I was low on money and just shoved in a stock alternator for the time being but when I get the money I am gonna upgrade my alternator

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT