Mach 460 door speaker 6x9 swap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-15-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Mach 460 door speaker 6x9 swap?

My driver side door speaker just blew and I wanna upgrade my door speakers instead if replacing with a factory speaker. Can fit 6x9's in the doors?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
hd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
6"x8" ..........9" is too big.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You might be able to shoehorn one in there but its completely not worth the work and will likely squeak. Get a good 6x8 in there and gut the mach tweeter and put a good aftermarket tweeter in there. Also rip out all the Mach garbage and put in a good aftermarket HU and run new speaker wire if you want to do it right. I avoid Mach cars like the plague myself... It was good in the mid 90s, these days its just more trouble to get rid of it all so you can run something good.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 02:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
True, my wife wanted a new deck, but after I told her we'd have to rip the whole mach system out, she refused. You know of a way to add an AUX cord? I've heard it's possible Scotty?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
racks2relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Alright i already put in a new jvc headunit.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
hd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by racks2relax View Post
True, my wife wanted a new deck, but after I told her we'd have to rip the whole mach system out, she refused. You know of a way to add an AUX cord? I've heard it's possible Scotty?

You can put a new head unit in without removing the Mach System.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah you can put in a new headunit with the mach system but doing aftermarket amps or speakers can be a trick because of all the mach crap. I have no clue how to wire an aux input into a stock stereo of any type, I don't mess with stock radios and have owned ZERO Mach 460/1000 cars in my lifetime. If I have a choice I will get a car that does not have a Mach system.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've always had Mach system in each Mustang I had. First thing I did was switch to Pioneer head unit. Usually Crutchfield has the wire harness. Expensive so just google the Metra part number and find it on Amazon or eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Regular

Sonic has them cheaper and bypassing everything is the way to go. I like the mach system only cause of the tweeter pods
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Sonic has them cheaper and bypassing everything is the way to go. I like the mach system only cause of the tweeter pods
You can find takeout Mach tweeter pods if you want them, gut them and put in a good tweeter and it'll look OEM. Or you can just surface mount an aftermarket tweeter on the triangle plate.

And yes, bypassing is the way to go on a Mach unit. The beauty of a non-mach car is that you can use all the stock speaker wires, just install a good aftermarket amp in the trunk. Mine has the rear speakers direct to it and then re-purposed the rear speaker wires to run the signal up to behind the dash where I bug them into the front speaker wires and its all seamless. Just have to run RCA cables under the carpet to the back and a power wire too but that's just an excuse to do a trunk mounted battery.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I had to do that in my 01 GT, but the owner before me had drilled some ugly cheap speakers in the rear panels on the side :/ look really ugly but it was cheaper to keep the the panels. Ended up just buying better speakers all around and using the panel holes and going with a Alpine double din. I've always had a thing for Alpine lol. She'll eventually give in and have me re wire the car and junking the mach system.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Speaking of the ugly speakers and holes, I found this picture of the terrible idea the previous owner had lmao!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406056376303.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	161979  
Old 07-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You can find takeout Mach tweeter pods if you want them, gut them and put in a good tweeter and it'll look OEM. Or you can just surface mount an aftermarket tweeter on the triangle plate.

And yes, bypassing is the way to go on a Mach unit. The beauty of a non-mach car is that you can use all the stock speaker wires, just install a good aftermarket amp in the trunk. Mine has the rear speakers direct to it and then re-purposed the rear speaker wires to run the signal up to behind the dash where I bug them into the front speaker wires and its all seamless. Just have to run RCA cables under the carpet to the back and a power wire too but that's just an excuse to do a trunk mounted battery.
Don't want to derail this thread but what's the point of mounting a battery in the trunk
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Clean up the engine bay and take weight off the nose.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 07-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
For relatively cheap, you can replace the mach system and it'll sound better than the premium sounds system. Because the interior is pretty small, I only installed two good quality 6x8's in the front door stock locations. I also installed a 10" sub in the rear speaker box to give it a stock look. You would never be able to tell I have aftermarket stuff (besides the H/U), and the sound is way way better.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT