Cobra/GT500 blower intake adapter... (joeystang?) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Cobra/GT500 blower intake adapter... (joeystang?)

Are the adapters for the Cobra/GT500 blowers still being made? I find it so hard to believe that this conversion is not more popular. Who doesn't want a positive displacement blower on their five-oh? And it seems everone with a Cobra/GT500 always upgrade to a twin screw, so there are plenty of M112/M122's floating around ebay for cheaps. Is jdbmods/joeystang still around? I think that the jdbmods website got sleepy because it's nothing but links to video game cheats the last time I checked it out.

Anyone who has done this conversion, though, I would love to hear about it.
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
He took off with a bunch of ppl's money and was never heard from again. Seemed like it was a case where a guy had a good idea, did a good product and then took too many orders and spent all the money before he completed the kits and then... well... yeah... ****ing sleazeball.

If you can find one secondhand... I still wouldn't pick one up. Kenne Bell is discontinuing the blowers for the pushrods and are offering discounts so now would be the time to get a new Kenne Bell if you can swing it. If not, Vortech will be around forever and is a better option for the pushrods anyway IMO. You can't intercool a positive displacement blower on a pushrod and they also don't need the bottom end that the modulars do so they work better with a centri setup.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that since there is an abundance of factory Cobra/Lightning blowers on eBay, that they would make a perfect price-conscious option for the seemingly forgotten five-oh crowd. Plus, generally (not always), positive displacement superchargers put out lower boost compared to centri/turbos. As long as you didn't go crazy with pulleys, your stock five-oh bottom end should be fine. And, with the right intake, you could use the factory A:W intercooler under the blower to clear the distributor.

But, obviously, not too many people are really keen on this idea, otherwise these intakes/adapters would be readily available. I wish the 671 intakes didn't cost $1000, because something like that would be so very easy to modify for a M112/M122... and there's room for an intercooler inside that intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Like I said, PD blowers are not really a big thing on the pushrods, they don't need bottom end as much as top end so the Centris are the hot ticket.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I get what you're saying about pushrods generally having the necessary grunt down low. But a roots/tvs blower would be far more economical if the correct intake was available for a decent price.

To add top end power, more supporting mods are usually required... valvetrain components, cam profiles that favor rpms, etc. The blower that comes stock on a Cobra or Lightning would work well with the factory HO cam, and wouldn't require rasing the redline to see its benefits. You could max out an otherwise stock five-oh with nothing more than the intake, the blower, some injectors, and a tune (and all of this could be had in a $2000 kit).
Old 07-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well like I said the KB is still available for the time being and I'm sure they'll be popping up in the secondhand market for years to come. I was not aware there was a possible way to get an intercooler onto the pushrod without a huge cowl or a hole in the hood.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Plus they are not as efficient as the other power adders. Very notorious for heat soak.

Knew this guy that had one and with 10 psi could not break 400hp to the tire. Swapped to a vortech and almost hit 450 to the tire.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I know that there are better options for adding boost. I was more curious as to why something like the tork tech kit doesn't exist for the five-oh. Sure, the pushrod engines seem to have good low end grunt. Yes, roots blowers can be heat monsters. But people have to start somewhere. And there is an abundance of Cobra/Lightning superchargers online for cheap. If I had a fox body or a SN, and say I had just finished with the "normal" poor-man's build (GT40 heads/intake, alphabet cam, headers) and wanted to dabble in forced induction... an intake adapter like jdb mods, or a complete manifold allowing the use of a Cobra/Lightning blower on my five-oh would be a dream come true.

You can find these 6-71 intakes for the 302 used for about $600, and stuff it with Luminova cores like the XLR-V intercooler uses... see pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intake-bbc-1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	162219   Click image for larger version

Name:	X06PT-PP007-1024x819.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	162220  

Old 07-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Making a plate for the above mentioned intake manifold that allows you to use a stock (un-altered) Cobra blower probably wouldn't be too hard. That manifold is also probably deep enough to use the factory intercooler under the supercharger.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT