Wheel spacers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Wheel spacers

Hey guys, I bought some hubcentric wheel spacers off the ole eBay a week ago and have had them installed for 3 or so days. They are hubcentric but not rim centric, so they do not have the lip on them. they are 1.5 inches wide and make my 265's stick out perfectly. Only question is when do I retourque them, I took the wheels off today and the actual spacer is still torqued perfectly at 98 foot lbs to the hub, and the wheels were still at 98 foot lbs before i took them off. Also can I drag race at the strip with these, or should I just take them off when I go? Side note, I have the stock suspension, and it doesn't seem to rub with a 265x35-18 tire, and I live in pot hole central in NY so If I don't rub chances are you won't.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 02:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Just wondering about something. You wanted to know about taking your car to the track with wheel spacers. I personally wouldn't do it as I feel the lugs wouldn't hold as strong being bolted closer to the ends of the lugs. But I guess that would depend on how much Torque your car puts out at the wheels. From your pics your car looks almost stock & if that's the case you're only at 215 H.P. so you're probably fine with the spacers.
Have you taken this car to the Track in the past ? If so...How did it do ? I have a 94 GT also, but have never taken it to the Track so I'm curious about it. In fact..I've only had it up to about 95 on the Freeway & had to slow down do to traffic ahead of me. Need to find me an old country road to practice on b4 going to the track as I've never been over 105 mph in any car so I'm not use to the speed yet.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hasnent been to the track yet, but I'm going very soon. Only mods are a x pipe, dynomax ultra flows, cai, built AODE tranny, and 3.73's with a rebuilt lsd. My car dosent pull so hard off the line, as it does top end. I would like to tell you what she has beaten on the streets but street racing is strictly prohibited on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
They need the lip on both sides or they are dangerous. Post a pic of what they are but personally, I would remove them as the lugs alone are not sufficient to center the wheel.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
They need the lip on both sides or they are dangerous. Post a pic of what they are but personally, I would remove them as the lugs alone are not sufficient to center the wheel.
I know what your getting at and I felt the same way. The spacer fits over the hubs lip perfectly, but does not have a lip for the rim. Now I thought the taperd lugs wouldent be engough either, but not only do the lugs stay tight, but three no vibration comeing from the rear either. I definitely won't race with them on, but for beating around town I think I'll be fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406219971170.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	162161  
Old 07-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah those are not hubcentric. I'd replace them as soon as you can or just remove them but that's me.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't know you couldn't talk about street racing on this site. Makes no sense to me when A.M. sells Street Performance Parts. I could understand it if someone was trying to set up a street race on the site as that would be illegal. But to not be able to talk about something that's past tense makes no sense to me. Are we even forbidden to talk about the TV Show "Street Outlaws" ?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
I didn't know you couldn't talk about street racing on this site. Makes no sense to me when A.M. sells Street Performance Parts. I could understand it if someone was trying to set up a street race on the site as that would be illegal. But to not be able to talk about something that's past tense makes no sense to me. Are we even forbidden to talk about the TV Show "Street Outlaws" ?
+100 same, it's kind of a stupid rule but I'm shure they have some kind of reason. Maybe it's so no one byaccidently incriminatinates themself
Old 07-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah those are not hubcentric. I'd replace them as soon as you can or just remove them but that's me.
Technically the are half hubcentric, but as they don't center the rim I guess it's pretty useless. I'm going to leave them on for daily use and remove them when I go to the track. I haven't seen or heard of any horor story's about non hubcentic , so strictly on that basis I'm going to take my chances.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
AM sells street performance yes, that doesn't mean one should ever be street racing or doing 100mph blasts down 45mph back roads. Yes we've probably all been stupid at one point or another but the site owner/admins do not want it talked about. There are other forums that have "kill" sections you can post in, I will leave it to you to discover them if you want to talk about it with others online. Also the show "Street Outlaws" is 100% fake. Those races are held on closed roads and everything is legit. If there are ever cops called or anything, its a stunt for the show. Not saying they aren't or weren't street racers but while on that show, its all legal. Also the network is a bunch of asshats for trying to make street racing look cool or promote it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
+100 same, it's kind of a stupid rule but I'm shure they have some kind of reason. Maybe it's so no one byaccidently incriminatinates themself
Its because its illegal and because at least a few ppl on here know someone or know of someone locally who was seriously hurt or killed because someone was being the biggest ****** canoe possible on a public road. Kids run out, old ppl don't react fast, some ppl are stupid and other good drivers aren't prepared for the car that they think is leaving plenty of space to be doing 120.

We had a death at our unit last summer because a kid was street racing his bike and T-boned a woman with her 14 year old in the car with her who thought she had plenty of space to pull out and turn not expecting him to be doing 100+ in a 50mph zone. He was dead instantly and the last I heard she was in a coma not expected to wake up and her kid had to witness all this. So yeah...

Quote:
Technically the are half hubcentric, but as they don't center the rim I guess it's pretty useless. I'm going to leave them on for daily use and remove them when I go to the track. I haven't seen or heard of any horor story's about non hubcentic , so strictly on that basis I'm going to take my chances.
They can cause vibe issues and I would not trust anything like that from ebay. 100% guarantee you that is the cheapest chinese metal possible but I can't see it failing catastrophically with no warning. MM sells a really good hubcentric setup although the best spacers aren't that variety, they are just a spacer with no lugs and you press in longer studs. Or just run a wheel with a more appropriate offset and not need them.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
AM sells street performance yes, that doesn't mean one should ever be street racing or doing 100mph blasts down 45mph back roads. Yes we've probably all been stupid at one point or another but the site owner/admins do not want it talked about. There are other forums that have "kill" sections you can post in, I will leave it to you to discover them if you want to talk about it with others online. Also the show "Street Outlaws" is 100% fake. Those races are held on closed roads and everything is legit. If there are ever cops called or anything, its a stunt for the show. Not saying they aren't or weren't street racers but while on that show, its all legal. Also the network is a bunch of asshats for trying to make street racing look cool or promote it.

Its because its illegal and because at least a few ppl on here know someone or know of someone locally who was seriously hurt or killed because someone was being the biggest ****** canoe possible on a public road. Kids run out, old ppl don't react fast, some ppl are stupid and other good drivers aren't prepared for the car that they think is leaving plenty of space to be doing 120.

We had a death at our unit last summer because a kid was street racing his bike and T-boned a woman with her 14 year old in the car with her who thought she had plenty of space to pull out and turn not expecting him to be doing 100+ in a 50mph zone. He was dead instantly and the last I heard she was in a coma not expected to wake up and her kid had to witness all this. So yeah...

They can cause vibe issues and I would not trust anything like that from ebay. 100% guarantee you that is the cheapest chinese metal possible but I can't see it failing catastrophically with no warning. MM sells a really good hubcentric setup although the best spacers aren't that variety, they are just a spacer with no lugs and you press in longer studs. Or just run a wheel with a more appropriate offset and not need them.
Good info thanks, not trying to justify talking street racing. Just wonderd why there's a strict rule against it. I understand why now, and yes there are people out there that like to run high speeds and I'm not one of them. I don't know if you ever owned a 90's convertible mustang with zero suspension upgrades and no sub frame connectors, but anything over 75 and the car feels like it's going to explode. I have never raced on the streets with any thing close to high speeds, yes a pull or a dig WOT to the speed limit can be classified as racing but that's all that ever happened on a highway. Also yea my spacers are chineese crap, but they make my car look so much better. I don't know what possesed Ford to stick the wheels in the trunk but with stock wheels and no spacers it looks like a v6
Old 07-25-2014, 01:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I'm going to try to find the websites with the street racing as I like to hear about what peoples cars can actually do. I personally have never street raced (so far) & not sure if I would or not. But if I ever did it would never be on a regular street people use regularly. It would have to be an old country road in the middle of nowhere for me to even consider it. Anywhere else would be much too dangerous to others & too many things can happen. But I guess I can see why A.M. don't want you talking about it in a way. I wouldn't want to stir up past emotions if someones family member got killed by a street racer. I really can't see someone like that being on a website for fast cars though unless they're on a mission to get even. Anyways, I'll leave this subject alone now. I guess I'll just use this website when I need info & search for the other sites that have something I'd rather talk about. Thanks for filling me in on the rules guys.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I guess I'm going to try to find the websites with the street racing as I like to hear about what peoples cars can actually do. I personally have never street raced (so far) & not sure if I would or not. But if I ever did it would never be on a regular street people use regularly. It would have to be an old country road in the middle of nowhere for me to even consider it. Anywhere else would be much too dangerous to others & too many things can happen. But I guess I can see why A.M. don't want you talking about it in a way. I wouldn't want to stir up past emotions if someones family member got killed by a street racer. I really can't see someone like that being on a website for fast cars though unless they're on a mission to get even. Anyways, I'll leave this subject alone now. I guess I'll just use this website when I need info & search for the other sites that have something I'd rather talk about. Thanks for filling me in on the rules guys.
Honestly (and I am NOT trying to be an *** or anything if it sounds like it) if you want to see what your car can really do that is what the track is for. Then you can take it up to however fast it can go and not worry about hurting anyone but yourself if something goes wrong/lets go. This is not to say don't have fun on the street and hammer it off a light and nail a few shifts up to the speed limit whatever that is or do a really "spirited" on-ramp merge or whatever.

To add to the fact that I personally knew someone who died street racing, a distant cousin of mine (mom's 2nd cousin's kid IIRC) was killed on one of those "old country roads in the middle of nowhere" when he was hit by a car. Now, this was not a street racing event, this was the case of a 13 yr old kid running out in the road from behind a hidden driveway and not even looking and some dude doing the speed limit just ran him over because he had no time to even react. In this case I almost feel worse for the guy who hit him as he has to live with it the rest of his life as it was completely the 13 yr old's fault. I only tell this story because you never know what can happen even on old backroads that most ppl never use. If that guy had been just regular speeding, he could have been looking at a good deal of jail time...

Old 07-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Honestly (and I am NOT trying to be an *** or anything if it sounds like it) if you want to see what your car can really do that is what the track is for. Then you can take it up to however fast it can go and not worry about hurting anyone but yourself if something goes wrong/lets go. This is not to say don't have fun on the street and hammer it off a light and nail a few shifts up to the speed limit whatever that is or do a really "spirited" on-ramp merge or whatever.

To add to the fact that I personally knew someone who died street racing, a distant cousin of mine (mom's 2nd cousin's kid IIRC) was killed on one of those "old country roads in the middle of nowhere" when he was hit by a car. Now, this was not a street racing event, this was the case of a 13 yr old kid running out in the road from behind a hidden driveway and not even looking and some dude doing the speed limit just ran him over because he had no time to even react. In this case I almost feel worse for the guy who hit him as he has to live with it the rest of his life as it was completely the 13 yr old's fault. I only tell this story because you never know what can happen even on old backroads that most ppl never use. If that guy had been just regular speeding, he could have been looking at a good deal of jail time...
I absolutely agree, raceing is for the track. Like you said there is a difference between spirited driveing and racing.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'd go to the Track if they didn't charge Fees, Have a ton of rules, etc...
What I don't get is they put in Bicycle Lanes for bicycles, Skateboard Parks for Skaters, So on & So forth....So why the heck don''t they give us a place to race that doesn't cost $$$ & we make our own rules for the specific race? That's what all these Hi=Performance Shops should be banding together & fighting for. I know that would never happen & I believe that people street race simply because they don't want to pay the fees. If it were Free...it would be packed 24/7. I actually don't know what it cost to take your car to the track. But I'm guessing it's not cheap.
Seems like the best Free Place I can think of would be an old crop dusters landing strip.
Yeah...there's one by my dad's house; that made me think of that. Wish I could buy it.
Cops would probably still give me a ticket for speeding on my own property.
Anyways, this is a subject that will always have 2 totally different points of view & never really get anywhere so no sense dragging it on. I found a couple other sites this morning that were OK but still not exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'd go to the Track if they didn't charge Fees, Have a ton of rules, etc...
What I don't get is they put in Bicycle Lanes for bicycles, Skateboard Parks for Skaters, So on & So forth....So why the heck don''t they give us a place to race that doesn't cost $$$ & we make our own rules for the specific race? That's what all these Hi=Performance Shops should be banding together & fighting for. I know that would never happen & I believe that people street race simply because they don't want to pay the fees. If it were Free...it would be packed 24/7. I actually don't know what it cost to take your car to the track. But I'm guessing it's not cheap.
Seems like the best Free Place I can think of would be an old crop dusters landing strip.
Yeah...there's one by my dad's house; that made me think of that. Wish I could buy it.
Cops would probably still give me a ticket for speeding on my own property.
Anyways, this is a subject that will always have 2 totally different points of view & never really get anywhere so no sense dragging it on. I found a couple other sites this morning that were OK but still not exactly what I'm looking for.
No offense but that's a really stupid argument. It only costs $20 to race your ride at the local track, and you only need a helmet if you run under 14 seconds. If there were dedicated raceing areas, people would kill themslefs, and people would try and sew the state. I can name 100 more reasons why it's a terrible idea. You don't realize it but tracks spend a lot of time and money to keep everyone safe with a few guidelines, and prep the track so ANY one and there mom can get there car to hook up.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Is it $20 each time you go down the Track or can you go down the Track all day for $20 should you choose to ?
The nearest Track to me is about 35 miles away & I would sure want to go down it more than once if I went there. If I could go down it 5-6 times for $20 I'd feel it was worth it. But if it's $20 each time....Wouldn't be worth it unless I was racing for money.
I can't see giving up a little over an hour of my pay for 15 seconds of fun.
The car I currently have will never be fast enough for me to take to the track anyways as it's only about 320 H.P. I'd want at least 500 H.P. to take a car to the track or to race at all.
I'm not into nitrous or Turbo's but will Super Charge my car within the next year.
Maybe then I'll try the track just to see if it's worth it to me.
I'm going to call Firebird Raceway to see what they charge.
Granted, if I were a Street Racer (which I never have done) it could cost me a lot more if I got caught.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Its $20 for how ever many runs you can get in all day. Some nights they only charge $17 at the track I go to. I dont know why but its very cheap. Just take a dot approved helment with you and have fun. If your track has a website go and read the rules. I wish my track was only 35 miles away. I would go more often.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I guess in a case like that I'd go to the Track. I just thought it would be a lot more expensive then that.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:13 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Regular

Some tracks require more than just a helmet. Seriously though going to the track is some serious fun and idk about there but back when I used to go the cops would take their own cars to race. IT's cool when you see red & blue lights running down the strip
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

$20 per night for the tracks near me, need a helmet and if you break into the 11s they'll pull you off the track if you don't have a cage. I have not been in FOREVER though so said rules/price may have changed. When I get this new clutch broken in and whenever I finally get my subframes in I'll see if I can get this pig to do a respectable time lol.

And the rules exist so ppl can be as safe as possible while running. Racing on a properly prepped track is a COMPLETELY different animal than trying to street race on an unprepped public road where there will be bumps, road debris and (most critically) other people.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
$15 Wednesday nights at my local track. But they don't prep the track AT ALL. Like I actually get better traction on the street than those race nights.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Couldn't find out much on our local tracks website other than they have Friday nite drags.
Emailed them for info & waiting to hear back.
I don't think my car could do 11's without a Supercharger, Turbo or Nitrous.
I'd be happy with 13's for now.
So I'm guessing at the Track you can only race against the Clock & not other Drivers ???
Drag strips are new to me. I've only been to stock car races.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Any idea what it cost to go as a spectator? Think I'll take the wife & kid when it cools off some.
(High 80's / Low 90's at nite here) Too hot to sit outside for hours right now. But that way when i go I can get an idea of how it works & have a family nite at the same time...in my favor...lol.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #25
Road Trip!
Regular

You can go against other drivers and it was like 15? When I went as a spectator lol I even rode shotgun
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Oh man. Over the past few months my spirited driving has become a bad habit. I appreciate your posts Scotty, I needed to read something like that to get my head right.

Also good info in this thread as well. I'm stuck with my stock premium wheels for another year and considered spacers but don't think I will get them.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Oh man. Over the past few months my spirited driving has become a bad habit. I appreciate your posts Scotty, I needed to read something like that to get my head right.

Also good info in this thread as well. I'm stuck with my stock premium wheels for another year and considered spacers but don't think I will get them.
If you invest in a quality pair as scotty said, like maximum motorsports, with both a hubcentric center and a rim centric lip you will be 100% safe. I have had my spacers on for a week and romped the dog s@#t out of them, and they stay toruqed, the car is much more stable on the highway, and there's no abdominal viabration I can feel. Now I have the cheapo chineese ones, so if I don't have a problem, I promise you that you won't with real hubcentic spacers. Also it's weird but ever since I installed the spacers people give me thumbs up's at lights, or people waking in the street. Had an older fella in a brand new Cadillac cts4 tell me at a red light it looked mean and they don't make them like they used to. Before the spacers I NEVER got appreciation from anyone but other mustang owners. I thought putting 265's in the back would fill it out, but was disappointed when it didn't, but with the wheel spacers the car looks 100x Better from every angle.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

265s are perfect for a 9" wide rim and having the same width on all 4 corners is good for handling. I've found with this 98 that has 275s out back and 235s up front it needs a little coaxing to swing the nose around going around corners as the *** end overpowers the front a bit if I'm not careful. This is ok with me as I am going to make this a straight line car. I see 0 point in a corner carver on NJ roads and I don't really want to have to drive 1.5 hours up to Englishtown whenever I want to do the road course.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
265s are perfect for a 9" wide rim and having the same width on all 4 corners is good for handling. I've found with this 98 that has 275s out back and 235s up front it needs a little coaxing to swing the nose around going around corners as the *** end overpowers the front a bit if I'm not careful. This is ok with me as I am going to make this a straight line car. I see 0 point in a corner carver on NJ roads and I don't really want to have to drive 1.5 hours up to Englishtown whenever I want to do the road course.
Yea I have 365's all round and it feels nice. I also live exactly and hour and a half from raceway park. I'm going to race at Lebanon valley raceway because it's more beginner oriented. Also English town is always packed.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

How far are you from Atco in southern NJ? Its not as bad as the madhouse that is Englishtown. There is also the 1/4 mile track in Cecil, MD.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea I have 365's all round and it feels nice. I also live exactly and hour and a half from raceway park. I'm going to race at Lebanon valley raceway because it's more beginner oriented. Also English town is always packed.
Far, I live 20 mins from New York city, so I'm pretty far from south Jersey. But I gas my gas in Jersry every week.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT