Mustang Evolution Forum banner

95 GT Must Go Faster

3K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  DavidBoren 
#1 ·
I have a 95 GT. I have had it about a year. I bought it with a few mods on it; BBK Throttle body, Mass air flow sensor, off road x pipe, Ford Racing Headers. It's my first Mustang. I thought the car was pretty quick until I pulled up next to a 2014 GT, and a 95 Firebird. Needless to say I barely kept up. What suggestions does anyone have on a reasonable mod to get my car to keep up with the big boys?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#3 ·
What's all done to the firebird? Assuming it's a LT1 they have 285 HP stock and the 2014 GT has 420. So really either an aggressive cam, N20, or forced induction would need to be done to keep up as I don't see full bolt on's getting you there. And even with one of the 3 mods above you probable wouldn't beat the 2014 GT. The firebird's all going to depend on whats done to it.

Stock you have 215 so with your mods I would say your barely putting 200 at the wheels so still a lot behind them. One piece of advice if your happy with your car don't do mods to keep up with so in so's car because there will always be someone faster.

#4 ·
What's all done to the firebird? Assuming it's a LT1 they have 285 HP stock and the 2014 GT has 420. So really either an aggressive cam, N20, or forced induction would need to be done to keep up as I don't see full bolt on's getting you there. And even with one of the 3 mods above you probable wouldn't beat the 2014 GT. The firebird's all going to depend on whats done to it.

Stock you have 215 so with your mods I would say your barely putting 200 at the wheels so still a lot behind them. One piece of advice if your happy with your car don't do mods to keep up with so in so's car because there will always be someone faster.

Ur dam right about that ! :)

#6 ·
Yeah, I guess your right. I still think my Mustang is bad ass. However, I have the itch now to beef it up a bit. Perhaps I'll consider upgrading the heads. What do you recommend? Can I just do heads and that be it or do I need to do more upgrades with them?

#9 ·
You could always ad an intake and a tune to add HP or gears will make it faster. Both of those would be a lot less then tearing into the motor or a FI build.

If you have a manual you could also do a short shifter or if it's auto you could do a stall.

#11 ·
I was referring to a K&N although an intake manifold would be a good idea as well. Also is your exhaust dumped at the x pipe or do you still have the stock cat back? If you still have the stock muffler I would either dump the exhaust at the axles or get a cat back.

#18 ·
As already said above 4'10's can be used for a DD. The only downside is it will hurt your highway MPG's due to being at a higher RPM at highway speeds. Maybe I missed it but do you have a manual 5 speed or auto 4 speed? If it were my DD I would go with 3'73's if I had a 4 speed auto but thats just me.

As far as top speed actual top speed won't be effected as you should still be able to hit 140+ with the gears. Although theoretical top speed will be lower if you do the math because of the higher gears, but nobody really goes 170+ in a street car so it really shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

#21 ·
Your first and most valuable upgrade should always be the driver upgrade. Make sure that you know how to handle the car, and how the car handles. It will be the best modification you can ever do.

Second upgrade should be a good dyno tune. Especially since there are already bolt-ons done to it when you bought it. A dyno tune helps everything work together, and cleans up the conservative factory programming.

Next, start from the ground and work your way up. Upgrade your suspension and get good tires. Put the 3.73's in the back. You will be surprised at what a difference it makes just getting the power you already have to the ground.

#26 ·
These cars are really great cars I have a 94 and love it. But sadly my car has 2.73 rear end gears and it's horrible. If it wasn't for me lowering the car right now I would be upgrading to 4.10s right away. The reason this has come so important to me is I was cruising with a buddy with a 84 gt which had 4.10s and he would smoke me all day off the line we weren't racing or going fast but his overall acceleration was a lot better. Why are you going to the dyno?? Just to see what your car can make?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.