Battery problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Battery problem

I was gone at church camp and came hole excited to drive my mustang but noooo the dam battery was completely dead and I put a brand new battery in and went to sonic and back home no problem woke up for work that battery is screwed and dead so I missed a day no ride does anyone know whats going on I already disconnected my cig lighter my system fuses are all good the only thing I can think is my altinator isnt working because I just charged it a little bit drove about a mile did a burn out came home turned it off "clickkkkkkkkkkkkkk" it was dead again I dont think its charging

galaxy s4
kyle_rivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Go to auto zone and have them check your charging system to see if the alternator is charging properly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Semerollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Check the battery.
Check the alt.
Check the ground cable and ground straps.
Check to see the sunvisor light to see if it stays on.
Check to see if any lights stay on.

I hate shorts if that is what it is.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Use a multimeter. Remove the ground clamp and put the meter on its 10 amp range between the clamp and the battery post. Any reading over 0.1 amps indicates a problem, something drawing power in your car. You can narrow this down by removing a fuse at a time from the fusebox until the current draw disappears.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPonyIHave View Post
Use a multimeter. Remove the ground clamp and put the meter on its 10 amp range between the clamp and the battery post. Any reading over 0.1 amps indicates a problem, something drawing power in your car. You can narrow this down by removing a fuse at a time from the fusebox until the current draw disappears.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
+ 100

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Semerollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think it has to be the charging system.

I don't know what year Mustang he has but if it is a newer one it shuts everything on the car off after you take the key out after about 15 minutes.
The OP really needs to do what Semerollin says:

Quote:
Go to auto zone and have them check your charging system to see if the alternator is charging properly.
Taking out fuses is not going to repair a bad alternator.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I went to advanced auto parts and they said my battery is to dead to see whats going on

galaxy s4
Old 08-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Battery chargers are not to expensive

Charge the battery and go back to get the charging system checked out.

*******************************or*****************************************************
The new battery you bought could be bad from the start from sitting in the store way to long.
Just don't start tearing your car apart before having these checked out.
Ronnie
Old 08-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It was a altinator

galaxy s4
Old 08-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Wow,

I'm sure happy you found out what it was before yanking fuses and fooling around with wiring and stuff.
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT