HELP-ASAP-PLZ Clunking Noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
HELP-ASAP-PLZ Clunking Noise

Hey All,
I have a 94 GT that I've got a clunking noise coming from & can't find it.
Here's the dilemma. I recently had all New 2.5" Exhaust installed. I also replaced the Shocks, Rotors & Brake Pads. I've double checked everything & it's all good and tight.
I hear this Clunking Sound in between each Gear Shift as the car is kind of idling down. The sound seems louder when I'm going into 3rd & 4th gear more so than in 1st & 2nd....but you still hear it a little in 1st & 2nd.
I noticed a shiny ring around my drive shaft where it looks like it rubs on something but I can't see anything within 1" of it that could hit it. That's the only thing I'm seeing.
So...........since I can't see anything with the car parked (not running).
I'm wondering if I could possibly put jack stands under the axle & take the wheels off
& run the car through the gears to see if I can find the problem or at least detect where the noise is coming from. ***Only reason I said take the wheels off is so I can see if it has anything to do with the brakes.
I've never started a car while it was on stands before so not sure if it's ok to do it. I'm not sure if the car would move or fall off the stands when I shift gears as I'd need to go through the gears to see what's happening.
Let me know ASAP Plz as I'm trying to fix this at this very moment.
THX All !!!
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Never Mind....Took a Chance & did it & went through the gears. Not sure if it's coming from the Brakes or the rear axle somewhere ... but it's in that area. I wonder if the place I bought the Rotors from had them marked L & R correctly ??? L is the drivers side..Correct ??? Not sure how to tell other than their markings. They are Slotted & Drilled Rotors if anyone knows how to tell.
In case you're wondering....The noise wasn't there before doing the Exhaust, Brakes / Rotors & Shocks. That's why I think the Noise is related to one of those things. I guess it could be a New Problem...but kind of doubting it.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Which Way?

How to properly install plain, slotted or drilled brake rotors

How to properly install plain, slotted, or drilled brake rotors
ALMOST STOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

THX Stock...I had no idea you went by internal vanes. I just went by the "L" & "R" they had marked on the Rotors with marker when I intalled them.
I got to thinking about it & I had to beat the old Rotors off with a sledge. I'm wondering if I damaged a wheel bearing or something.
Going to pull the wheels off & check the vane rotation now.
THX Again.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well...Can't check the vane rotation on the rear rotors as they are solid or at least the ends are sealed. The Fronts you can see the vanes & they are correct.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT