Ignition issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Ignition issue

When i turn the key, I get absolutely nothing. No crank or the motor turning over at all. After a handful of times turning the ignition ill get the starter to engage, then another time and ill hear the stater try again, and again until it kicks on (and then it runs perfectly fine). sometimes ill sit there and do this for a couple mins before i hear anything. the lights will flicker once but thats it. after the first turn, the dash wont flicker. I have checked all of the connections and wiring to the battery (its relocated to the trunk with a kill switch) all wiring is fine. This problem started not too long ago. I have a full MSD ignition set up. brand new plugs, wires, etc. my alternator is fine as well. Was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems such as this. It doesnt happen every single time, just almost about every other time. its almost as if the battery is disconnected for the first 5 attempts at trying to start the car, then it will slowly make progress. was thinking about starting with replacing the battery (since im not 100% how old it is, kinda looks like a no name walmart brand). It is a 95gt manual. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks.
OneSlow95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It probably is related to your battery and the 10 feet of battery cable that you are using.

Where is the negative side of the battery grounded to? Does it go back to the engine block?

An easy "backyard" test to tell if the battery is at fault is to hook up some jumper cables to your battery and jump it from a running vehicle and see if your starting problem disappears.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
That's a good point, I'm not entirely sure since I pretty much have 0 time during the weekend with my car I work double and triple shifts on the weekends so I won't be able to figure it out until Monday. Just thought if get some ideas before Monday comes around. And for some reason my truck doesn't pop open anymore, ever since the car developed this issue it doesn't unlock (doubt its related) but its just that much more difficult to get to my battery now

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
OneSlow95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT