Exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Exhaust

Hi I just recently droped my 89 mustang of at a muffler shop and they were supposed to install my offroad xpipe no cats and my super 10s flowmasters and they called and said that they're not able to remove the cats from my car its illegal... I know it is but I still want them removed??? But I agreed to just keep the factory h-pipe with the cats and just put the super 10s on and dump them is that good? $60 in the future ima buy cats for my x-pipe and have them installed what kind of cats are best for off road x-pipe?

galaxy s4
kyle_rivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Just swap the pipe yourself dude, it takes an hour tops from start to finish.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Its gonna be extremely hard do to that I have to use jack stands and I have to cut the mufflers off and weld them to the xpipe and im not sure how to do that

galaxy s4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

The way it is supposed to be is flow tubes from the mufflers which have ball/socket on them and those just bolt to the X pipe. You should NOT be welding your mufflers to the X pipe.

Pypes 2.5in Mustang Stainless Steel Replacement Flow Tube Kit PFF10K (79-04 V8, V6; 94-99 Cobra) - Free Shipping

Those clamp or weld to the mufflers then just attach with 4 bolts to the X pipe for easy removal/install. You can always cut the mufflers out and have the shop weld those flow tubes onto them and then DIY in the driveway. No need to have a shop install an X/H pipe, not if you have a basic socket set and jackstands.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yes I know the 4 bolts that hook up to the headers right? Thats sorta simple so they are already doing is do you suggest that when I get some time I can just unbolt the hpipe and cut to mufflers off of it and weld them to my xpipe and just install it that simple?

galaxy s4
Old 08-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

No... those pipes do not go to the headers they go from the muffler to the mid pipe.

Here's a pic of mine, this is how they are supposed to attach. There is no welding on the mid pipe whatsoever.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
I think what he is saying is the muffler shop is going to do some welding??
Old 08-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Then the muffler shop is a bunch of noobs. The last thing you want is a mid-pipe you can't drop if you ever have to do anything with the trans.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
lol yea that's the only reason for wielding I can think of
Old 08-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Wow my post didn't post

galaxy s4
Old 08-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well I said I dont understand all this because they said the only thing they can do is hook up my 10s to the stock hpipe because I dont have cats on the xpipe and their gonna dump them after the mufflers and ge said it will still sound good hes not able to install my x due to the laws of the shop its illegal I just want it to sound good and I dont know much about installing mufflers

galaxy s4
Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Actually sounds great

galaxy s4
Old 08-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_rivas View Post
Well I said I dont understand all this because they said the only thing they can do is hook up my 10s to the stock hpipe because I dont have cats on the xpipe and their gonna dump them after the mufflers and ge said it will still sound good hes not able to install my x due to the laws of the shop its illegal I just want it to sound good and I dont know much about installing mufflers

galaxy s4
Quote:
Actually sounds great

galaxy s4
The shop won't install your pipe because it is a federal crime in the USA to remove emissions equipment. No idea what all the talk of welding is but there should not be any welding required. Most likely, there is a miscommunication somewhere. Your exhaust should look similar to mine, just no tailpipes. This means that with a basic socket set and an hour of your time you can install the X pipe yourself. This is not rocket science and honestly, unless you've been paying someone else to do all the work on your car, there is 0 reason you can't do it. Again, if someone welded your mufflers to the stock H pipe, they should be shot but I doubt this is the case.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

This is what it looks like

galaxy s4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408728468994.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	164060  
Old 08-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
This is what it looks like

galaxy s4
Well that's good, they hacked up your stock H... wow... Now your mid pipe is completely not removable unless you cut it where they welded or remove the rear axle. I'd take it back and make them do it right if it were me.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Is it to late to do my xpipe? I have a grinder and I know how to weld

galaxy s4

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

And its not as loud as I thought it would be

galaxy s4
Old 08-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Exhaust

Nothing about that even looks right man. I wouldn't of left the shop with the exhaust looking that way. I understand that you didn't even know what it was suppose to look right in the first place do you were kinda screwed from the beginning. After reading a couple of your threads, it appears you jump it your project with little or no research. Do yourself favor and do the research before you jump into the next step of your project. Do I mean read several books and draw up a Gantt chart?, no. Simply know what you are getting into. For example, for your exhaust. All you would have done was to go on AM or late model and look at the different components of the exhaust or the tip guides they have to understand how the exhaust system fits together. Research will save you a lot of time, money, and headache. This is advice everyone could use so don't take it personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:02 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
Nothing about that even looks right man. I wouldn't of left the shop with the exhaust looking that way. I understand that you didn't even know what it was suppose to look right in the first place do you were kinda screwed from the beginning. After reading a couple of your threads, it appears you jump it your project with little or no research. Do yourself favor and do the research before you jump into the next step of your project. Do I mean read several books and draw up a Gantt chart?, no. Simply know what you are getting into. For example, for your exhaust. All you would have done was to go on AM or late model and look at the different components of the exhaust or the tip guides they have to understand how the exhaust system fits together. Research will save you a lot of time, money, and headache. This is advice everyone could use so don't take it personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

This x1000. Any POSSIBLE question one can ever think to ask about a fox body mustang has already been discussed ad-nauseum across multiple mustang forums.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
This x1000. Any POSSIBLE question one can ever think to ask about a fox body mustang has already been discussed ad-nauseum across multiple mustang forums.

Make that x 10,000.

OP, if it were me, I would of already had my butt back to that shop and had them fix what they f*c*ed up. Whoever did that should not be in the position to do exhaust work.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Its really not a big deal guys im satisfied for now ill just do it later on

galaxy s4
Old 08-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Its really not a big deal guys im satisfied for now ill just do it later on

galaxy s4
That is not the point we all were trying to make here. All mustang exhaust systems bought are primarily bolt on sytems, from mid pipes, h-pipes, x-pipes, and mufflers, and tailpipes. This being said, your system is no longer bolt on application, now or never as the person that hacked your exhaust up has made sure of that. Now you are stuck having to cut and weld unless you replace the whole system from header flange to tailpipes.

But since you state it is no big deal and you are satisfied, so be it. But if you keep that frame of mind in the future, you will have a rough road ahead of you when the time comes for repairs.

If for whatever reason you have to drop your transmission for a repair, you are now stuck with having to disconnect your header flange and cutting your exhaust to get the trans out, instead of unbolting your system. See where I am coming from?

Old 08-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I understand but i dont get the hole bolt on concept because before the h-pipe to the mufflers never had a bolt on it was always cats then h then weld on nd yes I get you but I dont get how mufflers bolt on to my x-pipe? It dosent have a place to bold onto like where the mufflers connect theres like a rounded tip and the mufflers didn't fit around and the mufflers didn't have a place to hook up

galaxy s4
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1409009327859.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	164345  
Old 08-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Your exhaust is supposed to look like the pic I posted in post #6 dude. The setup is 99% identical between the foxes and various SN95s. In post #4 I provided a link to the flow tubes that attach to mufflers to allow them to bolt onto the mid pipe. Do you even read?

I'm not quite sure what exactly you are not understanding.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Going back now and actually clicking the link I understand now I didn't have internet now so I can weld my mufflers to that pipe that bolts onto the X pipe.

galaxy s4
Old 08-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can just clamp them. I've installed plenty of catbacks and never even touched a welder.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You can just clamp them. I've installed plenty of catbacks and never even touched a welder.

That is what I was trying to get this guy to understand. And I too have done plenty of my own exhaust set-ups and I too never used a welder to do so. I have in the past welded some systems, but that was by design, not by a so called exhaust guy screwing up someones set-up all to hell.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so if I get what you said on post #4 do I weld my mufflers to the piece ima order

galaxy s4
Old 08-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok so if I get what you said on post #4 do I weld my mufflers to the piece ima order

galaxy s4

NO! Get the welding out of your mind. I do not know why with every post you make in this thread you mention welding. NO WELDING! If you bothered to look at the pics supplied on that link that Scotty provided you, you would see that the pipes bolt onto the flange of the x or h-pipe, then the straight portion slides into the muffler inlet and clamps on.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I understand but I dont see how the mufflers hook up here I dont see any clamps...

galaxy s4
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1409092758290.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	164441  
Old 08-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Look at the pic, in this example they are using band clamps which in my opinion are the best type of clamp. The band clamp has a tar bead that is applied to the inside portion of the clamp, when tightened down it spreads all around the pipe to seal from leaks.

Click on pic to enlarge.

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	97
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	164447

Old 08-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Where can I get band clamps

galaxy s4
Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

When I do my exhausts, I always in the past got mine from Summit Racing. They are under the exhaust catagory and come in different sizes. But you probably can get them locally or other online sources. The best part about band clamps are that you do not have that struggle to seperate your exhaust components as you do when you use regular exhaust clamps. As a regular clamp crimps the pipe to the muffler, and usually requires heat to seperate if you are lucky. As a band clamp holds both ends of the pipe as a butt clamp and the pipes do not go inside the other, but butts up to one another. When you click on the click I supplied you below, click on the video under the pic of the band clamp, and it explainss the exhaust and band clamp and how they work.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-692250/overview/

Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks so much man I will buy the parts Friday and install them when I get it

galaxy s4
Old 08-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Just remember that the band clamps come in 2 different forms, you can butt clamp the pipes, meaning both pipes to be mated together are the same overall diameter, or if you have a male and female pipe meaning that one slides into the other, then there is a band clamp for that also, one side of the clamp is smaller than the other side of the clamp. Both were explained in that video I told you to click on Summit's link I supplied. So just make sure you get the right ones for your application.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Why is it rounded and sir I didn't really understand what you ment

galaxy s4
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1409102110304.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	164459  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust