Water pump nightmare - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
So last night i was cruiseing with a car full of friends with the top down when i smelld a strong odor of coolant. We stoped got food and it was bothering me in the back of my mind. We jumped back in the car 30 mins later and it must have sucked the over flow bottole dry and the low coolant light came on. We stoped at a gas station and I poured a gallon of distilled water after it cooled and it pretty much fell right back out the bottom of the car. I didn't want to scare them so I kept quiet and quickly dropped every one off home. I could smell the engine getting hot, and raw fuel, so I made it home just in time.when I had sunlight this moring I discovered the weep hole at the bottom of the seal and bearing on the pump was spewing coolant like a water gun. I'm suprised it failed so quickly in a matter of 10 or 20 miles so severely. So I change the pump and break a bolt off in the block, at this point im so angery. I come back later and pull the timing cover off and was able to remove the broken bolt with vise grips. So I have a lot of work ahead of me tommrow. Long story I know.. and sorry. But I am so angry with how this pump failed. If it would have fails in pa a couple weeks ago I would have been stranded 3 hours away from home. I guess its a wear item though but the car only has 67,000 miles on it. Any tips on 're installing the timing cover and pump so they don't leak. I have fel pro seals and gaskets but I head i should use some yama bond along so it won't leak, or in my case I have vw crank case sealant i guess would work it was like $15 for the little tube years ago.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Dab some gasket glue maby and bro I know how you feel I did the same exact thing and I finished it... had a huge leak in the bolt berly fixed the bolt by rigging it up with the little orings or whatever lol I cant think of it off the top of my head lol but man its alright we all go threw similar things its a pain but at least we have this page to help us dont stress man its nothing big just think about this (I) put my heads on backwards and had everything ready to start almost I went to install the bracket amd it wouldn't go just think about the stuff I went threw lol woke up at 11 worked all day finished at 2am lol it was horrible

instagram @5.0_rivas
kyle_rivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Water pump is a wear item, that's just how it is. Your biggest mistake was not pulling over right away and getting a tow. Sucks but you may have damaged something internally if it got too hot. See how it runs afterwards but if you were smelling raw fuel and the engine getting hot... dunno.

Water pump on a 94GT is easy though, just use a very light paper thin coat of high temp RTV (ultra copper or ultra black) on the gasket and make sure you torque everything properly. The pump is right on the front of the engine and everything is very easy to get to.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I doubt it was damaged
Old 09-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Once you go ultra black you never go back.

Like they said water pump is easy and relatively cheap.

Also it doesn't matter the mileage it is till a 20 year old mechanical item.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok finished it up a couple hours ago, the timing cover was super hard to get back on over the oil pan without knocking the pan gasket In to the pan. I used the ultrablack in the timing cover and the paper gasket, and same for the water pump except I used water pump specifc selant. So far she hasent leaked knock in wood, I'm more concerned with an oil leak than a coolant leak at this point. And I got a s**t load of coolant in my oil when I pulled the cover off, so I went ahead and did and oil change again lol, oil was only 900 miles old.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yeah that **** always happens when you do a pump on a pushrod... Hopefully you let it drain really well and get it all out and the front sump too. I hated that design with the 2 sumps, felt like it never all got out honestly but never had an issue myself.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yeah that **** always happens when you do a pump on a pushrod... Hopefully you let it drain really well and get it all out and the front sump too. I hated that design with the 2 sumps, felt like it never all got out honestly but never had an issue myself.
Yes sir, I let it drian for a long time, and I'm pretty shure she's going to be fine. I hate the two sumps to. They always go through those brass washers like no one's business, even when you try and leave it as snug as possible with out he manning it. It just grinds my gears how I try and be so meticulous with my matmince and such, and then I have to do a quick and dirty repair and get coolant in my pan, along with some gasket material that broke off. Got it as clean as I could without dropping the pan. Irritates me!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT