Supercharger for a Foxbody. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #1

Region: California
Supercharger for a Foxbody.

I'm looking to supercharge my 1989 Foxbody mustang. I really like the sound a twin screw makes and I like the gains. I've been looking for a bolt on Twin Screw for a fox but I can't find any. Does anyone know where I can get one that will work? Or is there a better supercharger that's going to be more affordable?
MustangMitch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Americanmuscle.com

instagram @5.0_rivas
kyle_rivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #3

American muscle.com doesn't have a supercharger with the gains I'm looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Kenne bell makes one but it is not intercooled. The centrifugal sc outperform them every time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Spray it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Are you just looking to bolt on a supercharger?? Or are you getting heads/cam and upgraging fuel pump? And injectors...idk I could be wrong maybe thous arnt good points.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
89 5.0 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #7

I'm going to be upgrading injectors, cam, fuel pump, heads, exhaust, transmition and other things.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Weiand makes a 174 roots blower kit for the 302W. And there is (was?) A company called B&H superchargers that makes/made a TVS blower kit for the Windsor. I don't know if they are still around, though. Me-thinks you are kind of $#!+ out of luck for mounting a twin screw supercharger on the five-oh, sadly. There once was a guy making upper intake adapters for mounting Cobra/Lightning blowers to the Windsor motor. JBH, or JHB, something like that. But he turned out to be sketchy and disappeared with everybody's money, from what I heard.

I am with you, though. An intercooled twin screw on the pushrod 5.0 would be a dream come true. Make a mounting plate/bracket to put a Whipple where the smog pump is. Route the output through a front mount intercooler and up to your intake. You wouldn't have the cool blower in the valley hot-rod look, but you would have that beautiful Whipple whine along with the performance.
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Kenne Bell made one that is no longer being produced but IIRC they still have unsold ones in the warehouse. They aren't intercooled and will get outperformed by the Vortech every time. The 5.0 does not need the low end the PD blower makes, it DOES need the top end that the centrifugal units produce.

Also, doing aftermarket heads/cam/intake AND a supercharger is an awful lot of money on a stock motor. Stock with a supercharger you'll see 400-425rwhp with a good tune and all the "bolt ons". HCI with a supercharger you can see more but after 450rwhp the block starts to become suspect. See where I am going with this?

What I would do is find a cheap set of OEM Explorer (GT40) iron heads and intake from a JY, clean them up with new springs/locks/retainers and bolt them on with the stock GT cam as well as bolt ons. The fox will not need a tune for this. Then pick up a used early generation Vortech S trim from a forum classified ad for $1200-$1500, do the fuel system, install and get it tuned. That combo is a 450rwhp, 25mpg, stock street manner vehicle.

You will have to also beef up the chassis and suspension to put that sort of power to the ground as well as the transmission as a stock T-5 won't hold that sort of power for long. I would recommend the Astro A5 if it was me. Its the cheapest "built" trans you can get and one of the strongest out there while also being the lightest and a direct bolt in with the stock stock bell/driveshaft/crossmember/shifter/everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_rivas View Post
Americanmuscle.com

instagram @5.0_rivas
Yes for all the pushrod Twin Screws that AM sells...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly, without spending the coin for a 4-bolt block and a built or better transmission, is it even worth adding GT40 heads to the combination at all?

Tyler and I have been discussing this very thing recently. Stock E7 heads and a Vortech will push you to about as far as you want to go with a stock transmission.

I think that it would be a far better investment to get good valve springs for the stock heads and a blower cam, rather than a set of gt40 heads that you will still want to put new springs on anyways. Or at least that is the conclusion Tyler and I came to.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

The stock cam is a very serviceable blower cam, no reason to swap it out. Springs yes. You'd want to upgrade the transmission regardless of which way you went.

I mean the T-5 will hold up potentially if you go easy on it and don't power shift under full boost at 5800 but if you do that routinely you will likely shear the teeth off 3rd.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I have heard that the HO cam works well with a blower, but I thought that if you are replacing the springs anyways, and (generally) better springs allow room for more lift... then why not utilize that?

Granted, if budget is the bottom line, then that money could definitely be better spent elsewhere.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Money is better spent elsewhere on the stock heads. Its great down low where the vortech is not going to be into boost and the vortech will kick in and pretty much take over for the airflow needs before it runs out of steam by itself. If that makes sense... Even with the GT40s its a great cam but you could probably benefit a little from a cheap $100 used "stage 1" cam like the TFS1 or Steeda 18 or 19.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I got the vortech v3 Sci kit from A.M. a few years ago. It's low boost 4-6 psi (expect 4), and upgradeable. I added a UPR boost master pipe, and now I peak at 7 psi. Granted, I've got a mild cam (wish the owner would of kept the stock one when I bought the shortblock) ported e7 heads, gt40 intake, 70 mm throttle body, upgraded fuel and suspension mods, but it's a 12 second car all day. And drives like it's stock under 3K rpms.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
foxbody