91' won't start AGAIN!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
91' won't start AGAIN!!

So few weeks ago my car wouldn't start. Had the battery tested and starter everything seemed fine. I replaced starter anyways cause all signs pointed to the starter. The solenoid was fine it wasn't cracked or melted. Past 2 weeks it's been starting up just fine after replacing starter. I get off work tonight...same exact thing it was doing before. I turn key nothing. I cleaned battery terms, the positive was rly corroded, try to turn key nothing. Got jumpers cables hooked up to my gfs car right now and it acts like it wants to crank but won't. Ill get a lil start to it but then nothing. What could it be this time???

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Foxbody91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Ok cables came off and it's acting like a battery isn't hooked up at all. It won't turn over, I get a click sometimes and I tried again I got nothing.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
1st I'd check the wires on the Starter since you replaced it. Maybe a wire came loose or is grounding out.
2nd...I'd take the battery out & put your GF's Battery in to see if that works & have that battery tested again while it's out of the car. Obviously, if it starts when you put your GF's Battery in...you need a new battery.
3rd...Check to see if you're getting Spark at the plugs. Maybe your Coil went out.
My guess is, It's your Battery or your Coil.
Does it try to turn over but just wont start?
Or...does it not even turn over?
Do you have any lights "ON" on the dash ?
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Go to Harbor Freight and pick up a $5.99 multimeter. Check to see what your battery voltage is. Should be something like 12.5 volts. Swap with a known good battery and if the car starts up, test the same way and it should be 14.5 or right around there. If not, you are not getting a charge to the battery and you've got a problem with the wires or the alt itself.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The positive battery post had a gap between it and the top of battery, acid has been vaporizing out I figure that's y it's been getting really corroded. With the acid doing that also can it make a cell go bad?

Old 09-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

And yes it'll crank, just barely but won't get a full crank and turn over. My alternator and fan will start to spin then it'll all stop. I got it started few days ago while I was driving my lights were dimming and my rpm gauge was jumping up and down.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

So you mean the battery cable was not all the way on the post or the physical post of the battery has somehow become detached from the body fo the battery? If its become detached its time for a new battery regardless.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Will it start with a different battery ? If you can get it started disconnect the battery while the car is running. If the car dies the Alternator isn't charging your battery. If it stays running your Alt. is probably OK & your Battery is bad.
Sounds like the Alternator though because of the lights dimming while the car is running.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
Will it start with a different battery ? If you can get it started disconnect the battery while the car is running. If the car dies the Alternator isn't charging your battery. If it stays running your Alt. is probably OK & your Battery is bad.
Sounds like the Alternator though because of the lights dimming while the car is running.
NO!!!!! Never ever ever ever disconnect the battery while the car is running! If there is an issue the the electrical system the battery will take the hit. Remove the battery and you can easily fry something if there is a problem with the alt. You need a $5 multimeter to verify the battery is charging at idle.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 09-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
If there is a bad connection with a terminal the lights would dim as well though wouldn't they? Just replace the battery and go from there.

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I've disconnected the battery several times with the car running & never had a problem.
Maybe I just got lucky ....but I've known people doing this for many years. Never heard of them having a problem either. I guess if you know how to use one of those multi-meters it would be a better & safer way to go. I have 2 of them but don't have a clue how to use them.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:40 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The post of the battery has detached slightly. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1411029511.276824.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	532.9 KB
ID:	166362 that's my negative post, all good..now compare it to my positive post...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1411029562.722677.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	702.7 KB
ID:	166363 it's alot easier to catch it in person but there's a space big enough to fit a coin through at the base of the post

Old 09-18-2014, 03:41 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

91' won't start AGAIN!!

Well almost big enough to fit a coin. And notice how much corrosion is there, I haven't drove my car in almost a week, it was clean before I parked it

Old 09-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

As was already said, just find another battery, even one not for a mustang as long as the cables reach. Just sit it in there and see if the car fires up. If it does, that is your issue, if not I'd still replace that battery but there is something else going on. Once it is started, set your multi meter do DC volts and stick the leads on the battery posts. Should be around 14.5 volts at idle and that means it is charging.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Alright if it ends up not being the battery ill make a new post. The multimeter I can test more than jus the battery post right? Just to make sure

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT