Shifts hard into 2nd, shakes going 30-40 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Shifts hard into 2nd, shakes going 30-40

So I got a 95 GT about 2 months ago. It runs great other than the fact that it shifts hard into 2nd, and only 2nd. Going from drive to reverse or park to drive, it's all nice and smooth. Any ideas? Also when I'm going 30-40mph there's a pretty noticeable vibration. Could it be the U joints?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mb95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Sounds like the bands need to be adjusted in the Trans. That's the 1st thing that pops in my head when it only shifts hard from 1st to 2nd. Not sure if a dirty or clogged filter would cause it. I'm guessing you checked the Fluid Level. Could possibly be a pump clogging up or going out.
As far as the Vibration....U-Joints wont cause that as far as I know. You'd hear a Clunking Noise every time your car shifted gears if it was U-Joints. But if you want to check them just get under the car with a pry bar & try to move the drive shaft up & down & from side to side near the U-Joints. It should not move much at all. Vibration most of the time has to do with Alignment or Bad Tires. Sounds like there's a bubble in one of your tires. Had this happen to me a couple times already & it was always the tires or alignment.
Just thought of something...You could have a Vaccum Line of on the Trans. That would cause both...Vibration & Hard Shifting.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
As far as I know, there are no vacuum lines going to the transmission. The shifting is done via electronic solenoids.
Take your car to a reputable transmission shop and they will diagnose your problem for you.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
Sounds like the bands need to be adjusted in the Trans. That's the 1st thing that pops in my head when it only shifts hard from 1st to 2nd. Not sure if a dirty or clogged filter would cause it. I'm guessing you checked the Fluid Level. Could possibly be a pump clogging up or going out.
As far as the Vibration....U-Joints wont cause that as far as I know. You'd hear a Clunking Noise every time your car shifted gears if it was U-Joints. But if you want to check them just get under the car with a pry bar & try to move the drive shaft up & down & from side to side near the U-Joints. It should not move much at all. Vibration most of the time has to do with Alignment or Bad Tires. Sounds like there's a bubble in one of your tires. Had this happen to me a couple times already & it was always the tires or alignment.
Just thought of something...You could have a Vaccum Line of on the Trans. That would cause both...Vibration & Hard Shifting.

All the vibration is coming from the rear end.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mb95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I honestly don't know what would cause vibration in the rear end other then a bad tire.
Not saying it couldn't be something else....it just hasn't happened to me. A bad tire will cause vibration at certain speeds & be just fine at other speeds. Buy it wouldn't cause hard shifting so I'm kind of at a loss.
You should look for a thread that ( Scottydoesntknow) or (Almost Stock) has replied to & instant/private message them. They will probably know. I've always gotten good advice & Almost Stock has diagrams of almost everything Mustang. Those guys are good. Unfortunately, when it comes to parts Scotty tends to recommend the High $$$ stuff only. Wish he'd give us some stuff in the medium price range that's decent as I can't afford the best of everything.
Anyways, contact them & you'll probably get your answer.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT