Rear Control Arm Bushings & U-Joint ?'s - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Rear Control Arm Bushings & U-Joint ?'s

Hey Guys,
I have a 94 Mustang GT that I'm considering changing the Rear Control Arm Bushings, U-Joints & Pinion Seal on.
I haven't ever done the Rears before so I'm wondering what I'm in for. Any advice or tips on doing this will be much appreciated.
I changed the Front Control Arm Bushings on my 04 & it was Pure H___ !!!
Had to Air Hammer out the old ones ( Took about an hour on each control arm).
Then had to rent a Ball Joint Press to install the New ones.
So am I going to have to do this on the Rear Control Arms ???
Just want to find out what I'm in for before I go buy the bushing kit. If it's too much of a PITA I'll just buy Control Arms.
I'd like to order the parts by Monday so I can do this next weekend so sure hope for advice before then.
THANKS GUYS...Much Appreciated !!!
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
U-joints if real rusted will give you hell and for rear control arms just do a tubular or 3 link setup to improve handling and traction. I plan on doing tubular setup soon and replacing rear springs with drag springs since you have to remove the old ones anyways that way il have lakewood 50/50 drag shocks and tubular and drag spring set up so the only thing left in the rear to do will be torque box supports, I've already done gears so the rear will be set besides the stock axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Shifty 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'd just get a new set of lower control arms honestly. Screw putting new bushings in the stamped junk from the factory. If you are talking about uppers, I'm not sure if you can find the OEM rubber bushings anymore. I am a proponent of the stock uppers and aftermarket lowers but the older these cars get even I might have to upgrade to an aftermarket upper with spherical bushings to keep it from binding up. J&M makes a good setup for uppers that uses a poly/ball bushing but they are not adjustable. Adjustable is a big deal if you ever have a driveline angle issue.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
To get old bushing out a torch is a great idea LOL.

Stock control arms are junk.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Scotty, When you say spherical bushings are you referring to the Oval Shaped Bushing in the lower position of the upper control arm ? If so they have them on Ebay.
I was thinking of New Lowers (Tubular) & Changing out the Bushings in the Uppers. I was reading on one of the Mustang websites that you need to install something that has to do with the Rear End Torque if you use Tubular Uppers. Can't remember what it was called.
Anyways, I'm thinking I'm going to have to do something real soon. Every time I Shift gears I get a Clunking sound right after I shift. Does it in reverse. Does it the loudest 1st to 2nd. Not as bad 2nd to 3rd but you still hear it. 3rd to 4th...only faintly & 5th...well...aint taking it on the Freeway like this so only been getting to forth.
There's no Oil on the Pinion Seal Area or the back of the Trans. I can't budge the drive shaft at either end. Not sure if it's the U-Joints or not but have no other idea what it could be.
Going to take a look at the Tranny Mount in a little bit. Not sure if that would cause the sound or not. Sure sounds like it's coming from the rear though.
Any Ideas ???
Old 09-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
When I say spherical I mean Heim joints. Or the J&M poly ball joint is kind of cool too but I don't think those are adjustable.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Wow Totally Lost !!! Have no idea what those parts are or what they look like or anything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT