AODE fails again! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
AODE fails again!

Surprise surprise, my AODE seems to have s&*t the bed again. it was rebuilt 4 years ago with 4r70w clutches witch are "superior" and the fluid had been changed 2 times with full synthetic, also has a massive tranny cooler, but it seems they weren't superior enough to handle only 225hp at best. So i was driving down the highway, i hit a steep grade of hill, it kicked down out of over dive then it kicked down extremely hard (it has a shift kit) in to second, and the front seal on the tranny that seals the converter blew, and it made a smoke cloud big enough to stop traffic. SO it felt like it had Resistance, not because of the 2nd gear, but because something was seriously wrong. I threw it into neutral and back into drive, and it went back to normal. pulled off 300 ft later on an exit. it still had mainline pressure, because it stopped at the stop Singh, and went like normal. when i stopped and killed it there was a giant puddle under the car of BURNT tranny fluid. dropped the pan/tranny today and the pan magnet looks pretty clean, but at the bottom of the pan there are a few fibers/clutch material. and the fluid smells rank, like really burnt. Im so angry, there is no excuse for the tranny to go 2 times within 65,000 miles. ill admit i drive the car hard, but not near hard enough to do this type of damage. Also i was babying it at its time of failure. One thing i noticed was a delay lately before it died, between when i put it in drive and when it actually engaged.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
Surprise surprise, my AODE seems to have s&*t the bed again. it was rebuilt 4 years ago with 4r70w clutches witch are "superior" and the fluid had been changed 2 times with full synthetic, also has a massive tranny cooler, but it seems they weren't superior enough to handle only 225hp at best. So i was driving down the highway, i hit a steep grade of hill, it kicked down out of over dive then it kicked down extremely hard (it has a shift kit) in to second, and the front seal on the tranny that seals the converter blew, and it made a smoke cloud big enough to stop traffic. SO it felt like it had Resistance, not because of the 2nd gear, but because something was seriously wrong. I threw it into neutral and back into drive, and it went back to normal. pulled off 300 ft later on an exit. it still had mainline pressure, because it stopped at the stop Singh, and went like normal. when i stopped and killed it there was a giant puddle under the car of BURNT tranny fluid. dropped the pan/tranny today and the pan magnet looks pretty clean, but at the bottom of the pan there are a few fibers/clutch material. and the fluid smells rank, like really burnt. Im so angry, there is no excuse for the tranny to go 2 times within 65,000 miles. ill admit i drive the car hard, but not near hard enough to do this type of damage. Also i was babying it at its time of failure. One thing i noticed was a delay lately before it died, between when i put it in drive and when it actually engaged.
damn man! mine had to be rebuilt once, then the converter went out a year later. that was when I did shift kit and stall. still holding up.
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea It really GRINDS MY GEARS......lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Update* finally going to pull the trigger on a tremec t5 swap. Either going brand new or going to buy an old one and rebuild it. Form what I could find, I either need a tremec t5 out of a 79-93 Fox with 79-93 bell houseing, or a 94-95 t5 with the proper 94-95 bell housing. I know I also need a clutch/brake assy, fly wheel, moded dust plate/block spacer, clutch, clutch fork, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, adjustible cable with quadrant, and a shifter. I heard the drive shaft is compatible, and heard that the cross member is and inset compatible from 2 different sources. If anyone can validate this list or add to it please help me. I appreciate any input. Also are any more modern trannys compatible like a 04 3650?
Old 09-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Turns out something in the trans failed causeing the front seal to blow or vise versa. The fluid was black and burnt horribly, and the pan had tons of clutch shards in it. If you look at the green drain pan, you can see a lot of derbies. It was a clean pan before i drained the fluid into it. There was also a lot of gold glitter in the fluid, witch tells me it failed all at once, bacuse the magnet didn't get time to grab any of it, and the filter had no shavings in it. I belive the tranny had a catastrophic failure due to heat, I think the cooler wasn't big enough for the tranny and the gearing was to high for it. My jegs tranny gauge is broken at 150 degrees but I bet it was at the max when it failed. But looking at that gauge was the last thing on my mind with all that was going on, and when I finally stopped it had lost all its fluid anyway so it dropped fast. But the gauge is busted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1411155441537.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	166487   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1411155469408.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	166488  

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1411155483363.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	166489   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1411155510969.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	166490  

Old 09-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yikes...

I'd honestly find a 04 automatic from a JY and install it with Baumann controller since the 94/95 computer will not be compatible. Holds a lot of power, low mileage factory one will not have been gone through by some yahoo shop and if you do a good converter while its out, the car will hold more power than you can ever throw at it with the stock 5.0 block.

If you are set on going with a 5 speed, realize that the T-5 has a glass jaw and if you ever supercharge or even a HCI then it is a common point of failure. You CAN install an A5 and there are ways to adapt a T-45 or 3650 to a pushrod but it is not cost effective whatsoever. The A5 would be cheaper even at $2600 for the top notch one.

Now as far as what year T-5 to put in if you are going to go stick, do not get a fox trans. Take the time to find a 94/95 transmission, I can put you in touch with a guy on the Corral who can build you one with no core charge for $700 brand new and he has great reviews. You'll need a 94/95 specific bellhousing, a 94-up clutch fork and all the other manual swap stuffs. If you do a 93-down setup you will have an even longer reach for the shifter in the car, you will need a swap crossmember and you'll need a driveshaft spacer. All of which can cause driveline vibration issues. There is no reason to get a fox trans honestly, even if you need a scattershield at some point later on there is a bellhousing spacer available so you can use a 94/95 input shaft trans with the fox style quicktime/lakewood/etc... bellhousings.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok sounds good. I really want the t5. What's the guys name/shop who 're builds the 94/95 t5's. And could you possibly pm me his contact info. I am sick of autos, and I would rather swing the little bit extra for the swap conversion. Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT