GT40 Intake on a 94 5.0 ??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
GT40 Intake on a 94 5.0 ???

Ok...Been working on an engine build for a while now. I Bolted the upper GT40 Intake to the Lower Just to see how it looked & make sure it all lined up.
Well on a 94-95 Mustang you have to use a Throttle Body Adapter; which I have.
But if you connect the Adapter straight to the Intake none of the Cables or anything lines up & the CAI would run into the Oil Fill Spout on the Valve Covers.
The adapter wont connect to the intake anyways as it bottoms out on the top of the Valve Covers before the Bolt Holes line up.
So I'm thinking I'll use a 1" Phelonic Spacer to get the Clearance height wise.
But what do I do to connect the T-Body to the Intake ??? I need like a 3" Spacer between the Intake & the Adapter to clear everything & make all the connecting hardware line up right.
Do they even make a spacer like that & if so..."What is it called" ???
Would sure like to hear from some 94-95 Mustang guys who have done this swap.
If you have some pics of how it's set up it would sure help.
I'll post pics tomorrow after I take some of exactly what I'm talking about.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Man...wish I could remember how I did mine back in the day. I recall having to use a phenolic spacer, but don't recall any alignment issues with the throttle body and the associated adapter. Maybe Google some images of this set up and see if that will help.

I do recall being delighted at the noticeable power increase after the install.

Oh, after thinking for a few minutes, I recall having a MAC cold air intake that placed the air filter directly into the wheel well. Maybe that gave me the clearance for the oil fill spout....

Also I had the GT 40 intake...not the Cobra or Explorer versions. Don't know if that made a difference or not. Little hard to remember since it was did mine back in '95 or so.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
My GT40 was an OEM Cobra. IIRC to do the swap you do have to use the 1" spacer and you will have clearance issues with the stock tower brace if you have one. And you should probably be running a setup that puts the air intake in the fender anyway, otherwise its just sucking in hot air from the engine compartment.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My CAI does run into the fender. The 1" Phenolic Spacer would give me the Clearance as far as height only. I still need some kind of Spacer between the Upper Intake & Throttle Body Adapter in order for all the Cables, Brackets & Sensors to line up exactly like they do on the stock intake. Without a Spacer between there my Throttle Body or CAI would run straight into the Oil Fill Spout on the Valve Covers.
Please take a look at my other post "Help with GT40 Intake"
I posted pics of the issues.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Make one using ur stock tb?
Tasteslikeink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Have you looked at the pics of my build??? I'm not going to make one...that would look like crap !!! I found the right elbow anyways ,,, & have the other one on Craigslist with a bunch of other parts. If it wasn't a nice looking motor I would probably take your advice though.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
Have you looked at the pics of my build??? I'm not going to make one...that would look like crap !!! I found the right elbow anyways ,,, & have the other one on Craigslist with a bunch of other parts. If it wasn't a nice looking motor I would probably take your advice though.
What turned out to be the "right elbow"?
Tasteslikeink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't picked one up yet but I found an Edelbrock & a Mac elbow that will work. Doesn't really matter right now as I'm getting rid of the 94Gt & buying a newer one (2005-2010). I listed the motor on Craigslist for $3000. I've got more than that into it. If it sells...It Sells !!!
If not....I'll just hold onto it till I find the car I want to put it in. I'm kind of watching for a 70's Fairlane 500 Body or Project Car.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
^This illustrates why I am doing a Coyote swap if my 98 does not sell. Good luck selling it but its going to be as much or more $$ to build a 3V to be fast. Just warning you now.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT