Help with GT40 Intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Help with GT40 Intake

OK, I have a 96 Explorer Upper & Lower Intake I'm trying to install on a motor I'm Building. I'm having some issues making it fit. My car is a 94 GT 5.0 that this motor will be going in. The Block is from a 95. The Heads are GT40 (3-Bar) from the same Explorer. The Motors Cammed & the Heads are Built.
Anyways, The Throttle Body Adapter bottoms out on the Valve Covers before the holes line up. (See 1st 2-pics)
Even if it would bolt up...the Throttle Body or CAI would run straight into the oil fill spout on the valve covers.
*** I'm going to do this in parts so there's no confusion.***
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

1st pic: That's where it hits not allowing the bolt holes to line up.
Pic#2 : That's how far off the holes are.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Old 09-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

In the above pic I have the Intake Lined up where it would bolt & the Throttle Body Adapter at the end by the Throttle body. (Pics Taken on top my motor in my car)
Everything lines up perfect if the adapter is out where I have it by the Throttle Body.
You'll see in the next pic that everything connects right if it's in that position.
Besides...It has to be out that far to clear the Oil Fill Spout.
So is there some kind of Spacer or something I can put between the Upper Intake & Throttle Body Adapter to make this work ???
Every Pic I see they have the adapter connected right to the Intake.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Old 09-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

As you can see in the above pic...Everything lines up if the adapter is in that position.
The other part of the problem is trying to find a 1" phenolic Spacer that works on Explorer Intakes. Anyone know where to find one ???
Old 09-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I ran into this on my fox build I ended up getting an extra 1" spacer and used it with my 2" spacer on my throttle body. I have since put on a phenolic spacer to clear valve covers. My car ran fine like that. I have a 1" spacer not in use and won't need it nymore its a 70mm spacer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jhall27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Are you using an Explorer Intake ??? If so where did you get the phenolic spacer ?
All the ones I see on Ebay say they wont work on Explorer intakes. Only for the Cobra GT40.
Said the bolts are different & the Intake ports don't line up. Sure need to find one to get the height I need.
3" is about the size spacer I need for the Intake to adapter though.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

No I have trick flow, I didn't have the hood clearance with the phenolic spacer so I used that spacer. Also I have no EGR, but it allowed my throttle linkage to clear.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I was kind of worried about the hood clearance too. But if it comes down to it I'll cut a big hole in the hood till I get a Cowl Hood. Wanting to get one anyway. I'm not sure but I might get away with the clearance.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I did a 3/8" for my trick flow and it worked, wanted to keep a stock look on mine. Any chance you could go to a shorter valve cover?

Old 09-23-2014, 01:40 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The ones I have on there are the same size as stock.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:14 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, your set up is different as you don't have to use an elbow adapter to line up your linkage.
My whole problem revolves around the adapter.
There's got to be someone out there that has put a gt40 intake on a 94-95 Mustang.
I'm about ready to give up on this build. I've spent a year trying to get this thing built & am sick of all the headaches & paying $65 per month to storage so I have some place to work on it.
It was suppose to be done in 6 months so now the storage fees are making it not worth hanging onto much longer.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:02 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Was just pricing "Blank 70mm Throttle Body Spacers" & they are expensive. $130 for a 2" & $80 for a 1". Seems very high priced for a piece of metal with a hole in it that does nothing but fill a space. Looks like a $20 & $30 part to me. I'll weld flanges on a piece of 70mm pipe to fill the gap before I pay that (Not Really...But that's how I feel).
Old 09-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

It always cost more than you expect, its worth it when its done.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I am alittle confused here. Are you using the stock TB that came with the gt 5.0? And why are you using that elbow adapter to fit the TB to the upper intake? That elbow looks liek a wrong part to me.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

That elbow adaptor does not look right to me, I have a webpage for your reference on how to tackle this same job. It has pictures and illustrations too. The elbos in the illustration does not show the type of elbow, which is why I assume you are having this problem.

Here is the reference I was speaking about.

Ford Mustang: Mustang Tech: Induction: Explorer Intake Install

As you can see the elbos adaptor does not have that tear drop effect on the bottom of yours which is the reason for your interference with the valve cover. The Explorer TB and and other parts are not compatible to the gt 5.0 engine you are building. As it is disclosed in that article I referenced you to.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

You might be right about the Elbow being wrong. All the other ones look smaller to me in the pics I see. Going to have to take a look at different elbows. Thanks !!!
Old 09-24-2014, 01:46 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Turns out my Elbow Adapter is a "Professional Products Typhoon Intake Manifold Elbow Adapter 94-95 Mustang". 99% sure the Elbow Adapter is wrong for my set up. Just Looked at Typhoon Intake Manifolds on Ebay & the Height of the Lower intake is much higher then the Explorer Intake. That would make the difference in the adapter clearing the valve cover.
If anyone out there has done the Explorer GT40 Intake on a 94-95 GT please let me know which Elbow adapter to use. I can't afford to buy one of each till I find one that works. I'm out $103 for the one I have now.
I'm having a really hard time on this build. I've spent $2500 minimum on parts alone & had to re-sale about 25% of the parts at a loss because they didn't fit right. This $2500 Budget build is hitting the $4000 mark about now & it's killing me.
I'm going to finish what I started....but I'll never, ever, ever try to build a motor again. Much cheaper to buy one already built. Unless you got extra $$$ to burn or are a Top Notch Mechanic & know exactly what you need it's just not worth it.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Turns out my Elbow Adapter is a "Professional Products Typhoon Intake Manifold Elbow Adapter 94-95 Mustang". 99% sure the Elbow Adapter is wrong for my set up. Just Looked at Typhoon Intake Manifolds on Ebay & the Height of the Lower intake is much higher then the Explorer Intake. That would make the difference in the adapter clearing the valve cover.
If anyone out there has done the Explorer GT40 Intake on a 94-95 GT please let me know which Elbow adapter to use. I can't afford to buy one of each till I find one that works. I'm out $103 for the one I have now.
I'm having a really hard time on this build. I've spent $2500 minimum on parts alone & had to re-sale about 25% of the parts at a loss because they didn't fit right. This $2500 Budget build is hitting the $4000 mark about now & it's killing me.
I'm going to finish what I started....but I'll never, ever, ever try to build a motor again. Much cheaper to buy one already built. Unless you got extra $$$ to burn or are a Top Notch Mechanic & know exactly what you need it's just not worth it.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

In that thread I posted for you, it stated

"The elbow adapter is designed to be used in a GT40 or pre 95 Cobra intake but it just fits fine to the Explorer upper. There are several sources for the elbow: FRPP, Edelbrock and MAC, the last being the cheapest for around $60."

So that should help you out in finding the right one. I applaud you for doing this build, and you stating you are going forward and finishing it. I personally never done this swap, but I always keep information that I may need later or others may need on my external hard drive such as this article thread I supplied you. I will continue to help you as you go as much as I can. Just let me know. I will try later today to see if I locate that elbow with you.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Welcome to pro products. Never buy their crap. They are cheap, unauthorized chinese rip offs of edelbrock stuff. I saw your PM and saw this thread but really had 0 clue why its not fitting, there is no reason it should not bolt right up.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
I have an intake elbow for a gt40 intake in my room let me post a pic of it when I get home.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Welcome to pro products. Never buy their crap. They are cheap, unauthorized chinese rip offs of edelbrock stuff. I saw your PM and saw this thread but really had 0 clue why its not fitting, there is no reason it should not bolt right up.

No it won't work. The Typhoon intake has a much higher upper and that is why she can not get the clearance. When I saw the elbow, it look nothing like the one she should have. So the only option she has is to get a new different elbow specifically for this application.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

No I mean if he was using an elbow from TFS or whatever, it should work. Could always look for a legit 94/95 Cobra upper, they are out there. He could also just convert to the Fox style TB which is honestly the best option.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
No I mean if he was using an elbow from TFS or whatever, it should work. Could always look for a legit 94/95 Cobra upper, they are out there. He could also just convert to the Fox style TB which is honestly the best option.
1st, I think he is a she, by the pics shown by OP it is a she that is assemblying it or showing the area of concern. Unless he wears colored fingernails? And I agree the fox TB should work fine. None of the explorer stuff is compatable, so the only option is to use aftermarket from the list I provided her, or try and use the stock tb.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I had the wife hold up the parts while I took the pics.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I have the wrong Elbow for sure. This one comes out a little & dips downward & that's why it hits the valve covers. Probably because the Typhoon Intake is so much higher the Elbow for it dips down way lower so everything would line up. I need a different Elbow.
Also...the rear end Clunking wasn't the Gears. I took it somewhere else & they tightened up a few things & it hasn't Clunked since. Still doing the gears before I finish the motor ...Just in Case.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Ahhh, the wifey scenario. Good to hear that the rear was an easy fix. By the way, do not give up on the project, nothing like the feeling of accomplishment and hearing it run for the first time after you can say I built that. You will have your ups and downs, and more spent than originally budgeted for, but that is the life of building motors.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Let me ask you this... If you had a $5K Loan on the car & it was nickel & diming you to death with things going out on it & you were filing Bankruptcy anyway..."Would you keep the car?"
I'm letting the car go but keeping the motor I'm building to put in a different car with not so many problems. I have about 75% of the old parts ... so I can take off all my New Stuff & return it to original. Things I'll keep are like the CAI, Slotted & Drilled Rotors, Billet Battery Box, 3-Core Radiator, Under Drive Pulleys, Wheels & such. The Exhaust I'll have to leave as I dont have the old stuff anymore.
I checked out a Nice 2007 GT that I can pick up for $5K down & $300 per month so I'm thinking seriously about that one. Get me something Newer for a Daily Driver & find a 60's Ford to build as a project. I'd like to find a 70's Fairlane 500 Body to work with.
These are the thoughts I'm having. Only filing Bankruptcy because of too many medical bills.
was paying about $800 per mo. on that alone. Wife has lung problems.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm amazed anyone gave a loan on a 95 honestly. $5k down an $300/mo on a 2007 is too much money IMO. Sucks about the medical bills... hopefully she gets better and they calm down.

A 2007GT is not going to be much more powerful than your GT40 headed 5.0 to be totally honest. Yeah the chassis is way better and its newer... but I wouldn't bother if it was me, not for the price you listed.

Lol, if you are near NJ, my blue 98 is going up for sale and needs nothing.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
Let me ask you this... If you had a $5K Loan on the car & it was nickel & diming you to death with things going out on it & you were filing Bankruptcy anyway..."Would you keep the car?"
I'm letting the car go but keeping the motor I'm building to put in a different car with not so many problems. I have about 75% of the old parts ... so I can take off all my New Stuff & return it to original. Things I'll keep are like the CAI, Slotted & Drilled Rotors, Billet Battery Box, 3-Core Radiator, Under Drive Pulleys, Wheels & such. The Exhaust I'll have to leave as I dont have the old stuff anymore.
I checked out a Nice 2007 GT that I can pick up for $5K down & $300 per month so I'm thinking seriously about that one. Get me something Newer for a Daily Driver & find a 60's Ford to build as a project. I'd like to find a 70's Fairlane 500 Body to work with.
These are the thoughts I'm having. Only filing Bankruptcy because of too many medical bills.
was paying about $800 per mo. on that alone. Wife has lung problems.

I have been reading ur tread since ur first appeared on this forum ! I am my self a rookie and look foward to make my first built too ! Guys like scotty or smurfstang or anyone elses with great knowledge ,they all start somewhere too and did their first built too, i am sure they had their issues and learn by their mistakes aswell ! Now these days we have the chance to have a forum with these guys to help ! Which i am sure they did not !!! What i am saying is when u will finish and succeed that built nothing will be better than that not even a brand new mustang , because u will be able to say ( HEY ! I AM THE ONE WHO BUILT THIS BEAST !!! ) and be able to say that is quite an achivement !! We r all free to do what we want but i strongly sugesting you to keep going and finishing it ! Now if u need a break there is nothing wrong with that ! But when ur energy is back than lets back to work !! Just my own opinion good luck my US friend

Dany

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Frenchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
It does suck to have something constantly messing with you when working on these but the guys are correct.its an accomplishment to build a car and get it running on your own.dont give up on it you will be happy when it's running again.like French said take a break for a month or however long then get back at it.you will be happy you did

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Liebert91stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

If I had a house with a Garage I'd take a nice long break from it. But I rent a storage Unit @ $75 per month to build this. It's been close to a year since I started the build & when you factor in the cost of the Storage on top of parts it becomes not worth it if you can't get it done in 6 months. However....I'm going to see if my Stepson has room to store it for a while till I feel like messing with it again. I don't really want to give up on the motor end of things. It's the car itself. I can always put the motor in a better car when it's done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT