Clunking in Axle ??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Clunking in Axle ???

I've had this clunking sound coming from the rear of the car for about 2 months now.
It only clunks when I let out the clutch. I thought it was U-Joints, a Broken Tranny Mount or something like that but checked & all seems good. The noise has been getting louder & louder lately so today I took the car to advanced auto & had them check things out.
They said the Clunking sound was coming from inside my rear axle & they wouldn't know exactly what was wrong in there without taking it apart. They told me if I wanted to check it out to put the car on stands with the E-Brake on & Turn the Drive Shaft. They said mine turns about 45 degrees or so & that it shouldn't turn much at all.
Is there info on the up & up ??? I was planning on doing 3:73's anyways, but after I got my new motor done & installed. Looks like a change in plans.
Looks like I'll be ordering Gears & an Install Kit this weekend if you guys think they're not B.S.ing me.
Hate driving my car at all now that I heard this...but gotta get to work & it's my only way.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
The driveshaft should turn a little with the e-brake on, but not alot. If it is turning more then it might be a pinion or spider gears wearing out. But like they said, it has to be opened up to see. But if you are going to do a gear upgrade soon, then go with it. Just make sure you have gear oil in the diff. And stay cool on your driving, drive it kindly and it should be ok until you can get the diff cover off.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I guess a Gear Swap is coming real soon then. I'll order the Gears & Install kit this Friday.
Probably get them installed 2 weeks after that.
Excited about getting the 3:73's I wanted anyways.
Bummed that I'm having to do it now when $$$ are kind of tight though.
I'm not sure what Spider Gears are. I hope it's something that comes with the install kit & Ring & Pinion Gear. Going to watch a few Gear Swap Videos on U-Tube to learn more about this.

On another Note: I think you're right about my Throttle Body Elbow being the wrong one.
I looked mine up yesterday & here's what the listing says. "Professional Products Typhoon Intake Manifold Elbow Adapter 94-95 Mustang". I'm thinking the Elbow I have must only fit a Typhoon Intake. Oh well, Another Costly Mistake. Paid $103 for this Elbow but I ordered it so long ago I can no longer return it. I'll be lucky to get $50 back re-selling it.
Oh well...Motor's on hold till the gears are done now anyways so I got some time to figure the intake problem out. Tempted to just buy a Trick Flow intake...but I'm afraid I'll run into the same problem with it. Maybe I should get the Typhoon Intake & then my Elbow should work. Not sure what to do yet...have to think which is the best way to go & I've never heard anyone talk about a Typhoon Intake on here. Have no idea if they're any good or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Here is a link to American Muscle and the 3.73 gear set all in one.

Ford Racing 3.73 Mustang Gears and Install Kit 100576 (86-09 V8) - Free Shipping

Get ahold of Alex at AM on this forum and get the discount code so you can save an additional 6%. Good thing about the code he gives you , that is you can reuse it over and over again for every purchase you make with AM.

Here is Alex info to get a hold of him.

Mustang Evolution - View Profile: AMAlexLazarus

I would if I were you before buying that or any gear set is take a look inside your rearend, you may need a single part to fix instead of a whole kit to rebuild. I know you want to go with a different gear all together, but as you said, you were not expecting to do this now. I would not hesitate but to use your car for now. I really doubt that it would break down on you any moment from now. The clunking is most likely the ring and pinion are worn, when you are putting the car in forward drive, the pinion rotates so very slightly till it locks teeth with the ring gear. When new, with brake applied the driveshaft moves about 15-20 degrees and then the pinion has locked horns with the ring gear. But if they wear through normal or hard use, the pinion will turn slightly more as wear continues, which is the clunk you hear. I would bet you can take it easy for a while until you can tackle this. But if you are like me, and something is wrong, regardless how bad, you want it fixed.

I am showing you a view of a carrier with the ring gear mounted to it, with the spider gears inside the carrier, also the pinion gear (snub shaft with cone shape gear at one end). The pinion is the first gear in motion when car is in motion, the pinion then drives the ring gear as the two are mated. That in turn causes the movement to the spider gears and rear axle. The rear 2 axles slip into the rearend housing and then slides into position in the spider gears.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110501-00012.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	166802

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to go look at Newer Mustangs this weekend. Tired of fighting all the problems with this one. Probably going to sell the motor I was building as well. I know now to avoid 94-95 Mustangs as too many parts aren't interchangeable. If it were a Fox Body parts would be a dime a dozen. But the 94 & 95's has to have parts from one of those 2 years. It's a PITA trying to find parts for this car.
Thank you for all your help !!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT