Picked up a gt... Little problems, help? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Exclamation Picked up a gt... Little problems, help?

Hey everyone I just picked up my second fox, it is a 1988 gt 5.0, 5speed. It has some issues though and I really need help with them. The windshield wipers don't work and neither do the blinkers, is that the motor and the ignition switch or would that be the whole arm assembly thats bad? Also my fog lights don't turn on. My cluster/ dash lights don't work but my headlights do so I'm riding in stealth mode at night. I turned the knobs on my ac/heat and the heat doesn't turn on so I have no head which I'm going to need soon. Lastly my passenger side door doesn't like to roll back up unless I mess with it for a good 5 minutes which consists of banging on the door and flicking the switch up and down. The window has no problem going down but does going up and I can't roll it down or up from my door. Automatic locks and windows. Help? Lol
antnvlz1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well start by checking all your fuses,if you have already then check under the steering colum(you will need to take apart the bottom of your dash to get to this) then you will see a little white plastic thing with all kinds of wires going into it make sure its pushed all the way in place.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
89 5.0 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 5.0 stang View Post
Well start by checking all your fuses,if you have already then check under the steering colum(you will need to take apart the bottom of your dash to get to this) then you will see a little white plastic thing with all kinds of wires going into it make sure its pushed all the way in place.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'm not new to foxbodys this is my second one however unfortunately I haven't had these problems. What little white thing? The ignition switch on the side or?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Any chance you've looked to see if someone hacked up the wiring ? So many things not working at the same time...Seems like someones messed with the wires or maybe the Fuse Box itself.
I have the same window issue in my 94. It's the 2 Plastic Roller Wheels that guide on the Track that causes it. They sell them at Autozone. I'm not good at removing the window track to replace the wheels so I don't roll my window down more than 3/4 of the way. If I do ...It gets stuck & I have to do the same thing you do.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
Any chance you've looked to see if someone hacked up the wiring ? So many things not working at the same time...Seems like someones messed with the wires or maybe the Fuse Box itself.
I have the same window issue in my 94. It's the 2 Plastic Roller Wheels that guide on the Track that causes it. They sell them at Autozone. I'm not good at removing the window track to replace the wheels so I don't roll my window down more than 3/4 of the way. If I do ...It gets stuck & I have to do the same thing you do.
I didn't get a chance to look at all the wiring, I just picked up the gt yesterday but I'm going to check out the wiring under the dash and the wiring under the steering column and fuze box, as for the window it will do that no matter where it is. Even if my window is only at 3/4 of the way up it still won't roll up right away. I do have a subwoofer and new speakers and an aftermarket headunit that came with the car.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Makes me wonder even more about them hacking up wires when they installed it. It's always nice to get those things in a car if you're into it. I only listen to Hard Rock & Metal & it just doesn't sound too good through Subs...lol. I think I'd look for a Dash Wiring Harness & re-do it.
Pretty easy to find on C.L. for about $50. Unfortunately, Dash removal is a PITA !!! You must have a Short, Hacked up wires, Bad Fuse Box Connections or something of that nature for all those things not to work. I'd check the Head Unit Area 1st. If I remember right the Orange Wire with a Green Stripe is your Hot Wire all through your Dash. It's been a while so not positive.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Makes me wonder even more about them hacking up wires when they installed it. It's always nice to get those things in a car if you're into it. I only listen to Hard Rock & Metal & it just doesn't sound too good through Subs...lol. I think I'd look for a Dash Wiring Harness & re-do it.
Pretty easy to find on C.L. for about $50. Unfortunately, Dash removal is a PITA !!! You must have a Short, Hacked up wires, Bad Fuse Box Connections or something of that nature for all those things not to work. I'd check the Head Unit Area 1st. If I remember right the Orange Wire with a Green Stripe is your Hot Wire all through your Dash. It's been a while so not positive.
Well the good news is that I looked under the hood and the motor for the wipers wasn't even plugged in so I plugged them in and the wipers work but they wipe too far. When they go down, they go onto my plastic cowl trim piece. I took the blades off and cycled it and then put them back on. They're not as bad but they're still doing it.. Any way to adjust them? Also found out that my reverse lights don't work, what would that be? As for the blinkers I'm guessing it's the ignition switch and as for the dash and ac/heat lights in guessing it's the dimmer switch.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I've never messed with the wipers before...but I would think there would be some kind of linkage that connects to the motor that controls how far the arms move. You'll probably have to adjust that linkage.
I can't see a bunch of switches being bad at the same time....it's not logical...but it is possible.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've never messed with the wipers before...but I would think there would be some kind of linkage that connects to the motor that controls how far the arms move. You'll probably have to adjust that linkage.
I can't see a bunch of switches being bad at the same time....it's not logical...but it is possible.
Well I'm gonna probably grab an ignition switch this weekend and see if that cures the blower/blinker issue. I checked my fuses and found that the number 13 fuse "instrument" uses a 5 amp but it currently has a 3 amp which could be the issue. I'm gonna go to the parts store and pick up a 5 amp soon to see what changes.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnvlz1294 View Post
Well the good news is that I looked under the hood and the motor for the wipers wasn't even plugged in so I plugged them in and the wipers work but they wipe too far. When they go down, they go onto my plastic cowl trim piece. I took the blades off and cycled it and then put them back on. They're not as bad but they're still doing it.. Any way to adjust them? Also found out that my reverse lights don't work, what would that be? As for the blinkers I'm guessing it's the ignition switch and as for the dash and ac/heat lights in guessing it's the dimmer switch.
Have you tried to adjust the actual wiper arm ..
Pull the clip outward on the side of the wiper arm this lock the wiper arm..

Now wiggle the wiper arm upward to remove it from the splined shaft of the wiper motor...

Next place the wiper arm back on the spline shaft but in a higher location on the splined shaft so that the wiper arm doesn't go down the window trim.
ALMOST STOCK is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT