What kind of cars can a Fox beat? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
What kind of cars can a Fox beat?

To be more precise... What kind of cars would a 310hp Fox beat in a race against stock top of the line cars.. Maybe such as Evo's, Srt4, Hemi Chargers and etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
prototype ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 03:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
What kind of Mods did you do to get 310 H.P. ? A Stock Fox is only about 205-215 H.P.
310 is pretty nice in a Fox. 310 is about what I had on my build for my 94 & that was with a E303 Cam, GT40 Heads & Intake, R.R.'s, 24# Injectors, 75mm Throttle Body, Headers, Upgraded Exhaust, CAI & a few other little things.
It still wasn't enough to satisfy me though so I sold the car & the Motor & I'm getting a 08 GT the 1st week of November. Can't wait......I'd get it sooner but in order to get my payments where I want them I have to put $5K down so I have to get another $1K together to do it. I'll have that $1K on the 7th so I'll get my car that weekend.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Cool, you have a pretty nice goal there. I hope you get your new Mustang soon! Anyways I actually bought the car like this. He said it was dyno'd at 310... Tho ive never actually checked it myself... It has the same e303 cam, holley fuel pump, holley carburetor, msd distributor ignition starter and etc. Trickflow manifold bbk headers 4.10 gears and maybe some other light mods. I have the ported gt40 heads and a t5 tranny... But those are not installed in the car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like you're getting close to the 310 mark. With the Heads on it I'm sure it would be there. Nice build either way !!! I'm not sure what all it will beat. In the Phx. area I hear alot about the Honda's , Mitsubishi's, etc. always trying to beat the Foxes...but they almost always lose.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
What kind of Mods did you do to get 310 H.P. ? A Stock Fox is only about 205-215 H.P.
310 is pretty nice in a Fox. 310 is about what I had on my build for my 94 & that was with a E303 Cam, GT40 Heads & Intake, R.R.'s, 24# Injectors, 75mm Throttle Body, Headers, Upgraded Exhaust, CAI & a few other little things.
It still wasn't enough to satisfy me though so I sold the car & the Motor & I'm getting a 08 GT the 1st week of November. Can't wait......I'd get it sooner but in order to get my payments where I want them I have to put $5K down so I have to get another $1K together to do it. I'll have that $1K on the 7th so I'll get my car that weekend.
Why are you getting a 3v especially since your financing it? Why not a 11

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The 08 isn't set in stone yet...It's just the best I found so far for $5K down & $300 per mo.
Not sure what I'd have to put down on an 11 to keep the payments at about $300 per mo.
I already have a $374 per mo. car payment on my wife's car so trying to keep my payment
in the $300 range so I know I can afford it. Even an 08 is a Step Up from a 94 so if that's all I can afford...I'll be happy.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
The 08 isn't set in stone yet...It's just the best I found so far for $5K down & $300 per mo.
Not sure what I'd have to put down on an 11 to keep the payments at about $300 per mo.
I already have a $374 per mo. car payment on my wife's car so trying to keep my payment
in the $300 range so I know I can afford it. Even an 08 is a Step Up from a 94 so if that's all I can afford...I'll be happy.
True, it will be hard to find a decent 11 and get it down that much. The 3v will be a fun street car with cams and exhaust

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
OP with stock heads she won't be much of a street burner sorry to tell ya.

With ported GT40's (depends on who did it) it should put to the wheels anywhere from 260 or 270. A lot more goes into these dyno numbers.

Now what can you beat....well I hope you got some tires and suspension as with 4:10 you will be lighting them tires up real quick.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok. I thought it would be somewhere around the 300 mark. I guess I wont know til I install the heads and take it to the dyno. Thanks for the input dudes!

Old 10-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I was talking to the wheels of course.

Also remember a dyno is a good tuning tool as a lot of factors can sway the numbers.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
Old 10-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Have you ever installed heads before?

Old 10-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Not Hard to install them. Disconnect Lower Intake & all Lines Connected to it. Pull the Distributor...but mark it so you put it back in the same way. Remove Intake. Disconnect Headers. Remove the 10 Bolts that hold the Head on. Remove the Head...May have to pry it loose with a Screwdriver or smack it with a Rubber Mallet to get it loose.
That's pretty much it.
You're installing GT40's ??? Not sure if Fox Bodies have the Smog Pump Lines Running to the back side of the Heads on the Stock Heads. 94 & 95 5.0's do. GT40 Heads don't have the Hook Up for those Lines. You have 2 options. Delete the Smog Pump ... which means you also have to delete your cats as there will be no air going to them to cool them. Or you can bend the lines a little & attach each one to the back of the GT 40 Heads just to make it look hooked up. Then you still have air going to your cats. The Air to the Heads isn't really needed anyway. Still able to pass emissions also. I just did this swap recently & found all this out 1 problem at a time so you got a good start on knowing what you have to do to install the heads.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Cool thanks HellishHorse! So the smog pump shouldnt be and issue since its already deleted? Ac is deleted too

Old 10-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Actually makes things a lot easier for you.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Cool. How many days did it take you to swap the heads?

Old 10-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Cool. How many days did it take you to swap the heads?

Old 10-17-2014, 03:25 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You can swap heads in a day. But if you have GT40s, don't. Just get a supercharger.

Also there is 0 way in hell a ported GT40/e cammed motor made 310 to the wheels. It might be a guesstimated 310 flywheel hp which would be pretty accurate. I'd say you are in the 280-290 range if the heads are ported well. I have seen people break the 300whp mark with ported GT40s and a custom cam/longtubes/all supporting mods. If unported or ****tily ported... maybe 265-270. This is assuming the guy actually got the car properly dyno tuned.

Now... there is also a lot more to it all than just dyno numbers. Suspension, driver, weight and all that makes a big difference. You'll have cars making big numbers that can't even get out of their own way because they are on stock suspension/wheels/tires and then see a bolt on Fox with stock heads/cam/intake running 12s because the owner dropped weight, did suspension and set the car up properly. Foxes have the benefit of being light, really light. A notch with some real basic weight removal is a 3000lb car.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

My car already is a lil lighter cause the Ac and smog pump are deleted. Also mine is a notch with a plastic cowl hood. I want to swap the heads since the gt40's I have already came with dual valvesprings.. I just dont know if i need to get different pushrods or whatever. Dont want to be carless for 2 long you know.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Please elaborate on this plastic hood.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well theres nothing special about it. Its all the same just made of plastic instead of steel

Old 10-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Plastic hood wow I've never seen one before...Got some pictures of that plastic hood, would like to see them ?
ALMOST STOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:03 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I guess the question ends here.. You dont have to patronize me.. Its my first muscle car/mustang and Im just trying to get answers from other people who are experienced with these cars

Old 10-25-2014, 01:30 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Seems like they're just joking with you about the "PLASTIC" Hood. As far as I know...there's no such thing.....It's FIBERGLASS . Look up Cervini's or TRU-Fiber Hoods & you'll see what I mean.
Did you get your Heads on yet ?
Old 10-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

No I havent. Can I use the same pushrods?

Old 10-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

You always have to measure for correct pushrod length. Always. Adjustable checking pushrod, solid checking lifter, old, already compressed HG and a sharpie. Anyone telling you you don't need to or that they can tell you the right length is lying/trying to sell you something.

And yes, we are joking about the plastic hood. There is no such thing. It's either composite/fiberglass/whatever but it sure as hell is not plastic. If someone IS selling a molded plastic hood they should be brought up on attempted manslaughter charges.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype ss View Post
I guess the question ends here.. You dont have to patronize me.. Its my first muscle car/mustang and Im just trying to get answers from other people who are experienced with these cars

Like Scotty said always measure cause you never know. Plus this is something you want done right so there is no slap, helps with hp, spring life, and a ton of other things.

Plus this forum is pretty mild so you will have to get just a little tougher.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:34 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Well I know its not fiberglass.... But anyways.. I was recommended some hardened pushrods. But I guess ill have to get a pushrod measuring tool before I buy some right

Old 10-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well yeah you need to know what the correct length is before you order said hardened pushrods. And either buy or make a solid checking lifter, you can't just use one of the hydraulic ones in there because they'll compress when you spin the motor over and give you a wildy inaccurate reading.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT