Power window - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Angry Power window

Hey everyone. Have a 1988 mustang gt with power windows and power locks. My passenger side window goes down with out any issue everytime I want to put it down it's the getting it back up that's the issue. The window will not go back up unless i hit towards the bottom with a sharp yet not hard hit. That hit doesn't always work though.. It has only worked twice of the 10 or so times I had it down. I found that if i turn the car off and leave it for a while (45 minutes or so), then when I come back and turn the ignition on(not start the car) that it will sometimes get it to roll up. Let me also say that my drivers side passenger window switch doesn't do anything. I repeat I cannot move the passenger window from the drivers side switch up or down. I did however take the arm rest with the controls off of the passenger side door off after I removed the negative battery terminal connector and I unplugged both of the door lock and window switch from the wiring harness and blew air into the connectors. Then I put die electric grease on the connectors(pins) and plugged the harness back into the switches. Before I put the control switch back into the arm rest and before putting the armrest back onto the door, I put the negative terminal back on the battery and turned the ignition on once more to test the switch out again. The passenger window went up and down 10-12 times from the passenger switch without hesitation and it even worked with the drivers side door switch without hesitation as well. So I put the arm rest and switch back together and the armrest back onto the door and reconnected the battery once more. I started the car and went to take a drive, and the problem was back again. Window only goes down from the passenger switch, does not go back up with out a ton of work and I cannot control the passenger side window from the drivers side. Anyone know what the heck could be wrong or going on here? Help would be amazing because I'd love to be able to use my windows.

Thank you
antnvlz1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Well it definitly sounds like your window motors need to be rebuilt, that would cause the slow or non working window operation. You can buy a rebuild kit at advanced for like 20 bucks. Its pretty simple, just take the door panel off, remove the window motor, take it apart and replace the gear and bushings, add a dab of grease for smooth operation and put it all back together. As for the switch it sounds like you may need a new drivers side one but try the rebuild first and see it it helps!
jasondanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondanger View Post
Well it definitly sounds like your window motors need to be rebuilt, that would cause the slow or non working window operation. You can buy a rebuild kit at advanced for like 20 bucks. Its pretty simple, just take the door panel off, remove the window motor, take it apart and replace the gear and bushings, add a dab of grease for smooth operation and put it all back together. As for the switch it sounds like you may need a new drivers side one but try the rebuild first and see it it helps!
Hmm i just don't understand how it would be the motor if the window went up after cleaning everything but it could hurt to rebuild it. I'll go from there and then let you know
antnvlz1294 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT