Cheap mods for a 95 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Cheap mods for a 95 5.0

What are some cheap mods that will get me some horsepower gains And really wake the car up? I've already done the CAI and it is straight piped from the cats back. I don't have resources to do any work in my garage, so I would have to bring it to a shop to have done. What are some mods that are relatively cheap to buy AND installed, or some mods I can do with very limited tools in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mb95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418075333.920592.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	171307
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by clflorida View Post
The fact that I need to ask if those are flames or semen is probably not a good thing

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Lol @ clflorida.

Get a timing light and watch a video or read a shop manual on adjusting the timing on your engine. Fill your tank full of Premium fuel and then advance your timing to 15 degrees. Then drive the car and listen for any "pinging*. You may be able to advance it further or might have to ****** the timing if you hear any detonation. Just move it in one degree increments until you find the point where your engine begins to detonate and then ****** the timing by one degree and that will be the timing setting that works best for your engine.

It doesn't get any cheaper or easier than that!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Timing to 14 advanced, gears, pullies... Biggest problem is the 94/95 computers will always make the car feel slow till they are tuned or you re pin the car and swap in a fox computer. Going to need to do the headers and a good mid pipe too. Straight pipes sound like butt BTW.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Timing to 14 advanced, gears, pullies... Biggest problem is the 94/95 computers will always make the car feel slow till they are tuned or you re pin the car and swap in a fox computer. Going to need to do the headers and a good mid pipe too. Straight pipes sound like butt BTW.

The car actually sounds pretty decent, I like it. But yeah I was definitely looking at the pullies, is it a noticeable gain when you do them? Also how much would a bigger throttle body help?

Old 12-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Throttle body will do zilch, nothing. Pullies are the last bolt on I would do. Headers and the mid pipe and gears are going to be the best bangs for you buck. Again, the car will always feel lazy with the stock tune. The stock fuel tables are very conservative and the car pulls timing every time you shift.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Throttle body will do zilch, nothing. Pullies are the last bolt on I would do. Headers and the mid pipe and gears are going to be the best bangs for you buck. Again, the car will always feel lazy with the stock tune. The stock fuel tables are very conservative and the car pulls timing every time you shift.

What's the best way to go about it? A dyno tune or one that I can order from american muscle? I've heard that dyno tunes can sometimes be cheaper and fit the needs of your car better

Old 12-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Put it on a diet weight reduction every 100 pounds dropped is .10 quicker in the 1320. You also get better fuel economy and it's more fun in the rain!
Old 12-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb95GT View Post
What's the best way to go about it? A dyno tune or one that I can order from american muscle? I've heard that dyno tunes can sometimes be cheaper and fit the needs of your car better

Your car is going to hate your guts if you do a chip from AM in a 94/95. I'd do all the bolt ons and gears and then get it tuned locally.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Lol @ clflorida.

Get a timing light and watch a video or read a shop manual on adjusting the timing on your engine. Fill your tank full of Premium fuel and then advance your timing to 15 degrees. Then drive the car and listen for any "pinging*. You may be able to advance it further or might have to ****** the timing if you hear any detonation. Just move it in one degree increments until you find the point where your engine begins to detonate and then ****** the timing by one degree and that will be the timing setting that works best for your engine.

It doesn't get any cheaper or easier than that!
Just know that 94/95s don't quite respond as well due the aforementioned soft factory tune. Afterwards, ALWAYS use 93 octane gas or you'll get the dreaded rattling.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I tried the chip from AM once my motor and HCI was installed and it was the worst paid $289 to turn around and have it dyno tuned for another $500 ..... Dyno tune is the way to go , stay away from the mail order tunes for 79-95 5.0s

WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT