Heads - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Kansas

So I recents found out that my heads on the stock 302 5.0ho are really bad and want to get some new ones what one should I get? Brand? Type?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Beau_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Texas
Did you do research before asking

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: California
Yes Beau... Have you done your research?
For us to be able to help you, you must first do your research, your "due diligence" as it were. Without having done such research, our hands are tied, as far as being able to answer your question. Research is really the backbone of what we're about here at ME. It goes to the crux of who we are. If you take away the research, you've taken away our very being.
Were we always like this? NO!
The research has consumed us. It's all that we can think about now... THE RESEARCH!

What is your budget?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Beau 123......

Honestly the answers are limitless.
In the other thread you said you wanted to go twin turbo. I hope you have a big bank account.

Well you are gonna want to start with an aftermarket block $$$$$$
Forged assembly $$$$$$
A good top end (heads, cam and intake) $$$$$$$
Twin turbo kit $$$$$$$$
Fuel, tuning and other junk $$$$$$$$
Transmission $$$$$$$$
Rear end $$$$$$$$

WAY too many variable.
Sorry to have put it this way but just way to open ended of a question.
2016 VW GTI 2.0 Turbo

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Other
Yeah a combination of research and getting people's opinions on the subject are a good idea. Sometimes you miss something when you research it yourself, even if you look through threads. So coming to a forum and asking more people helps. I researched the piss out of just picking a stock 4.6 long block to put back in my car and there was ton of stuff that I had no clue would exist.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Region: New Jersey
Also you can't just do the heads, you will need to do the intake and cam too if you want to see the gains as well as the rest of the stuff involved to do the swap. Figure $4k if you are buying new and this is the best route to go, period.

This includes everything except the SN95 intake adapter elbow. You will also need to upgrade your fuel system as the stock GT system will not support a good HCI. This means new fuel pump and new injectors. Finally, a dyno tune is going to be around $600 for the initial chip/tune so add $1k to the HCI kit so $4k all said and done.

Wow, we all wound like downers but I really wish people had been more... honest... with me when I was starting out in Mustangs. I went through probably 3 or 4 different combos before I wised up and stopped trying to save money by doing things cheap/piecemeal.

No matter what you do, to do it right with new parts is going to be around $4k. This is not a cheap hobby unfortunately. You also have to let us know what other supporting mods you already have because putting a HCI on a car with a stock exhaust/suspension and stock rear gears is a waste.

2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT