94 GT driving weird - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
94 GT driving weird

Okay so about a week ago I was driving and I tried to pass someone and it got up to 4,000 - 5,000 rpm and well the best way to describe it is it was stuttering and slowing then it would shift by the way it's automatic and I just got it replaced about a month ago. Could it be the clutch? Could it be the fuel injectors clogged? Or the mass air flow censor? Maybe bad gas?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Beau_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
aside from the clutch, it sounds like you got your path planned out already. auto's have clutch sets, which are these little discs, as opposed to "A clutch", which is a torque converter in your case (kind of like a hydraulic turbine fluid clutch engagement system, but not just that simple)

are you saying that, at highway speeds you push the pedal down, and all that happens is the rpm rises, mph goes down, until it momentarily engages and then works fine?

unfortunately, having replaced it a month ago, it could be a number of things. i wouldn't rule out the transmission just yet, but it sounds like a fluid or solenoid problem. hopefully the clutch packs are new and fine.

check your fluid level in the transmission. confirm, (if possible) that its filled with merconV or something compatible. then move on to a tune up if needed.

any other performance issues?

EDIT - just realized were talkin about a 94 gt and not a 96-98. i assume its the same AOD soemthing transmission? either way, they probably used regular old mercon which should be fine. possibly solenoid or fluid level i think.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
aside from the clutch, it sounds like you got your path planned out already. auto's have clutch sets, which are these little discs, as opposed to "A clutch", which is a torque converter in your case (kind of like a hydraulic turbine fluid clutch engagement system, but not just that simple)

are you saying that, at highway speeds you push the pedal down, and all that happens is the rpm rises, mph goes down, until it momentarily engages and then works fine?

unfortunately, having replaced it a month ago, it could be a number of things. i wouldn't rule out the transmission just yet, but it sounds like a fluid or solenoid problem. hopefully the clutch packs are new and fine.

check your fluid level in the transmission. confirm, (if possible) that its filled with merconV or something compatible. then move on to a tune up if needed.

any other performance issues?

EDIT - just realized were talkin about a 94 gt and not a 96-98. i assume its the same AOD soemthing transmission? either way, they probably used regular old mercon which should be fine. possibly solenoid or fluid level i think.

The speed doesn't drop it just doesn't speed up as fast as it usually does but this all happened after I filled up with gas and I was driving really aggressive because my friend got in a wreck so could I have messed something up driving aggressive?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I should also mention that it doesn't start well after sitting over night.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

throw a can of seafoam in it and see what happens. it is possibly that you got some awful bad gas in it. but driving aggresively shouldnt slow that engine down.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

94 GT driving weird

I put some sort of techron in it and it didn't seem to do much

Old 01-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

and its only at that rpm range? you redline at like, 5 and a half k, right? idk where your peak horsepower is supposed to be, maybe its just the solenoid not shifting in time and leaving you running past the peak on your hp curve? otherwise it is possible that something electronic is not keeping up, and thus the engine is falling on its face at high rpm. how much gas is left in the tank?
also, how old are the usual suspects? (plugs, coils/distributer, air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, maf, etc)

no engine codes? (requires an obd1 scan tool, or a trick with a paperclip if it works with theses)
Old 01-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
and its only at that rpm range? you redline at like, 5 and a half k, right? idk where your peak horsepower is supposed to be, maybe its just the solenoid not shifting in time and leaving you running past the peak on your hp curve? otherwise it is possible that something electronic is not keeping up, and thus the engine is falling on its face at high rpm. how much gas is left in the tank?
also, how old are the usual suspects? (plugs, coils/distributer, air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, maf, etc)

no engine codes? (requires an obd1 scan tool, or a trick with a paperclip if it works with theses)

Yeah only around 4-5k and it does peak at 5.5k and it seemed to start happening just after I filled up with gas

Old 01-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

We also just replaced the fuel filter

Old 01-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Okay so I found out that when I shift it from first to second that it doesn't do it but then I put it into drive and it does it again

Old 01-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Where did you get the new transmission anyway?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

We took it to a shop in town cause the pump went out and he said he'd had one

Old 01-22-2015, 04:12 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

But otherwise its running fine underneath 4000 rpm? only other things I can think of are distributor, cam/crank sensors, wires, something along the lines of timing or ignition, maybe it cant keep up at high rpm, otherwise transmission solenoid. I would do research on those individually until you find a similar issue on another 5.0 mustang.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-22-2015, 08:26 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But otherwise its running fine underneath 4000 rpm? only other things I can think of are distributor, cam/crank sensors, wires, something along the lines of timing or ignition, maybe it cant keep up at high rpm, otherwise transmission solenoid. I would do research on those individually until you find a similar issue on another 5.0 mustang.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Yeah it runs fine under 4000rpm but it doesn't start right away some times is there something that could be linked?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

in my car, no crank sensor means no startup. so, dying crank sensor might have something to do with it, otherwise, you may have multiple issues. like i said, do some quick research on your year range and crank sensors. might find someone describing the same issues.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
in my car, no crank sensor means no startup. so, dying crank sensor might have something to do with it, otherwise, you may have multiple issues. like i said, do some quick research on your year range and crank sensors. might find someone describing the same issues.

Okay I'll do that thanks for the help.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't believe a 94 5.0 has a crank sensor that's what I have been seeing online.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

What would a misfire feel like? Could it be a spark plug problem?

Old 01-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know if this might be related to my problem or if it is normal but when I put it in neutral then shift back to drive like at a stop light the battery goes down then back up is that normal or could that be linked to my problems?

Old 01-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

that would be an electrical problem, probably just the gauge. couldnt say if its related or not, but being a 94, it has a lot of old parts, so different things are gonna get wonky. if your unsure of the plugs, just change em. no need for anything special. basic copper ngk's or motorcrafts will be the best for it. change those then test. next step is the wires. change and test. after that, i would work on the distributor. get a new cap and rotor. (they have distributors, right? i cant remember). in case you didnt already know, the distributor moves with the engine by a gear, (in time with the rpm) so the faster the engine spins, the faster the distributor spins and sends an electrical signal to the wires and then the plugs. there is also an ignition control module before the distributor. so if you think about it, the faster it moves, the easier it might be for old parts to make a mistake or have a bad connection. so it is possible. and cheaper to fix, and even if it isnt the source of the problem, at least you now have a good tune up.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
that would be an electrical problem, probably just the gauge. couldnt say if its related or not, but being a 94, it has a lot of old parts, so different things are gonna get wonky. if your unsure of the plugs, just change em. no need for anything special. basic copper ngk's or motorcrafts will be the best for it. change those then test. next step is the wires. change and test. after that, i would work on the distributor. get a new cap and rotor. (they have distributors, right? i cant remember). in case you didnt already know, the distributor moves with the engine by a gear, (in time with the rpm) so the faster the engine spins, the faster the distributor spins and sends an electrical signal to the wires and then the plugs. there is also an ignition control module before the distributor. so if you think about it, the faster it moves, the easier it might be for old parts to make a mistake or have a bad connection. so it is possible. and cheaper to fix, and even if it isnt the source of the problem, at least you now have a good tune up.

I replaced the spark plugs over the summer so I think I will do the wires then test and go from there thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT