Mustang Evolution Forum banner

I think my lifters have gone bad.

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Haav2 
#1 ·
As I'm finishing the final touches on my 302 build I rev the engine to about 3500 rpm and I hear a rattle on the drivers side valve cover. I pulled the cover off to see if the roller rockers were hitting it but I still heard the rattle, turned out that two of my roller rockers had bad pivot bearings and had side to side play. was what caused the rattle. So I changed them and put the original rockers back on but now I have some rockers that are "shaky" even after they've been tightened down to proper torque as if the lifter doesn't want to fully extend the pushrod and hold the shaky rocker. Then I removed the shim on the rocker pedestals that were shaking and they stiffened up like the others. But I'm afraid of running them like that. What I'm thinking is either my lifters are slooowly coming back to normal position after I removed the 1.6 roller rockers or I may have damaged a lifter my putting on the roller rockers and two of them having bad bearings. Note: back when I was assembling the engine I put the lifters in oil for about 2 weeks while I waited for my block to come from the machine shop. Im hoping its a simple fix because this is the last thing I need to do to Finnish this build. Thanks guys!

89 gt
5.0 roller bored .20 over
Sealed power Pistons
Vortec v3 11psi
Gt40 heads
Bbk 5001 intake
3.73 gears
Custom exhaust system

See less See more
#2 ·
Back in the "day", best thing to loosen up sticking lifters was to replace a qt of oil with a qt of ATF. In no time they pumped up and ran quiet. Something to consider.

#3 ·
I have a rattle like that at about 3500 rpm but can only here while driving not sure on what side . But put royal purple oil in and quieted it down 70 percent mine is also all original with 225000 on motor what can I do to eliminate the rattle ? With using new parts and or not

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#4 ·
Ok so after i took off all my shims under these rocker arms and re-tightened him, I noticed they were not shaking and good to go..........

I started the car, let it warm up, then when I reved up to about 3500 rpm the same rattle was loud and clear. ?. So now It could be the lifters Or maybe my camshaft or something of that nature. Is there something I'm overlooking?

89 gt
Sealed power Pistons
Vortec v3 11psi
Gt40 heads
Bbk 5001 intake
3.73 gears
Custom exhaust system

#6 ·
I'm gonna have to give that a try tomorrow. I pray that it works for my situation and I don't have to take the engine apart.

89 gt
Sealed power Pistons
Vortec v3 11psi
Gt40 heads
Bbk 5001 intake
3.73 gears
Custom exhaust system

#8 ·
Well...... After two weeks of searching for this loud rattle in my engine I've come to a conclusion. One of my piston connecting rod caps came loose. I can't believe it because the engine has zero miles and was machined and has forged internals. I vividly remember applying arp locking paste to the studs of all connecting rods then torqued them all to 35ftlbs then a quater turn. I haven't pulled the oil pan yet but I'm certain that the cap of one of the rods is still on but has loosened enough to cause that rattle noise. When I first started this post it rattled at 3500 rpm. Now it rattles at idle. Gonna pull the pan tomorrow and check for metal chunks and shavings. And re torque the rods. I hope my crank or block isn't damaged. ?

89 gt
Sealed power Pistons
Vortec v3 11psi
Gt40 heads
Bbk 5001 intake
3.73 gears
Custom exhaust system

#11 ·
Hey guys, I'm back. Been really busy with work. Working 6 days a week now. But I finally got a chance to open my oil pan and see what is wrong.

My oil pump was completely loose, soo loose that I was able to remove its bolts by hand!? i don't know how this could happen as I tightened it down to specified torque but it happened.

I think it caused the rattling because the pump wasn't making a complete seal and wasn't lubricating the engine. So basically I was running it dry, still had oil in it but it wasn't pumping oil throughout the engine.

Right now I'm checking the torque on each piston rod bolt to make sure nothing else is loose. Next step is to check all bolts torque, fill it back up with oil and give it another start to see if that fixes the problem.

For those just joining us, the engine still has zero miles. Just a couple hours of it running to check various things. Gonna report back as soon as i tighten her up and get oil in it.

89 gt
Sealed power Pistons
Vortec v3 11psi
Gt40 heads
Bbk 5001 intake
3.73 gears
Custom exhaust system

#12 ·
After almost a year later, tore down engine (2nd time),new crank bearings (again just to be sure), new clutch/flywheel bearings, oil pump, distributior, I still have a tapping sound around 2200rpm and up.

Gets louder as car gets warmer. Basically every thing is brand spankin new except the lifters, camshaft and pushrods. I'm thinking of ordering a new set of lifters and maybe a new camshaft just incase. Perhaps a e303 camshaft. If this doesn't fix the rattle I don't know what will. I'm starting to dislike driving the car even though its my baby but somethings gotta give!!

It can't be anything from the rotating assembly because i took it apart 2 times in the past 1 1/2 years and quadruple checked every thing before going back together.

I didint even think to change the lifters or pushrods at all. So that could be it perhaps. I hope so.....

Gonna order up some new lifters, e303 cam and hardened pushrods this Friday. I know I might not even need a new cam but it's one of the few things I haven't changed, plus I'd like to get that nice lopey sound too. Might as well since I'm gonna open the engine up again.

One last thing, will a e303 cam work well with a centrifugal supercharger and low compression Pistons?

I can't wait to finally KILL this rattle!!!

89 gt
Sealed power Pistons
Vortec v3 11psi
Gt40 heads
Bbk 5001 intake
3.73 gears
Custom exhaust system

#13 ·
I would not go with an E303 on a blower car as blowers like more lobe separation as well as more duration. Also with a cam swap you will have to measure to be sure to get the right pushrods. I would give Ed Curtis a call as that would be the direction I go with because you will speak with someone with some great knowledge, you will get the best of both worlds which is power and driveability.
What are you looking to get from this combo power wise as you can make enough power with the stock cam to split the block.

#14 ·
I definitely don't want to crack the block but I've always wanted the old school lopey sound but if it will make my engine/ supercharger lose power or run badly I guess I'll have to choose a different cam. I'll try asking this Ed Curtis to find the right cam tomorrow. For now I'll do some more cam research.

89 gt
Sealed power Pistons
Vortec v3 11psi
Gt40 heads
Bbk 5001 intake
3.73 gears
Custom exhaust system

#15 ·
Ed Curtis is a great induction guy. He sells top end stuff like heads and intakes. He also has done countless custom cams and has a good library of what works with what combo.

Keep reading and posting up.

#16 ·
Been really busy lately. I finally had a chance last weekend to remove my old lifters and replaced them. They looked ok but changed them out either way.

I haven't started the car yet but I'm going to change The oil because when I pulled the lower intake manifold anti-freeze fell inside the engine. so by now the antifreeze settled to the bottom and I will be able to get it out without any problems.

While swapping the lifters I noticed that the dog bones holding down the lifters move side to side a bit making a similar sound of the knocking even with the retainer on. So I took some needle nose pliers and bent down the spider to tighten down the dogbones.

Hopefully this will help the noise go away. I will Let you guys know tomorrow what happens when I start the car.

89 gt
Sealed power Pistons
Vortec v3 11psi
Gt40 heads
Bbk 5001 intake
3.73 gears
Custom exhaust system

#17 ·
Always eager for some "good' news.

#18 ·
Now that everything is buttoned up I start the car. I still hear the rattle after changing the lifters but a little less now. I'll post a video of the sound once I learn how to upload videos on here. It can be heard when I rev it up lightly.

89 gt
Sealed power Pistons
Vortec v3 11psi
Gt40 heads
Bbk 5001 intake
3.73 gears
Custom exhaust system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.