Pull trans or engine? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Pull trans or engine?

This is going to be done in a garage so that means I do not have access to a lift so with that being said is it easier to install a clutch/flywheel/ and rear main seal by pulling the trans or motor? I don't have a/c or smog pump so there's not many pullies and most the motor is apart so it doesn't look like it'd be to hard to just pull the motor out but up for suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Shifty 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
which are you more experienced with? Sounds like the engine might be easier with your setup, but it depends on what you have for jack stands and how big you are
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

I'd say trans in most cases but with the rear main and you doing it in the garage with no lift the motor might be easier. But if you go that route and pull the motor you might as well pull it out with the trans and do it all out of the car then put it all back together and slip it back it as one unit. Way easier than trying to muscle it into place from under the car
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly though, the fastest way to get anything done like this is take an Adderall haha. I got a prescription for it and the proceeded to do my first engine swap ever. I pulled my car in at 4 PM, got the engine and trans out by 10 pm. and had the new engine fully dressed (minus wiring and belt) and sitting in the car with the trans connected, ready to be bolted down by 7 am. Woulda took me less time if I had power tools and a hoist that could tilt the engine with a crank. Oh, and the correct flywheel would have helped. I had to fit a 8 bolt flywheel onto a 6 bolt main. 99 gt 5 speed
Old 03-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have good jacks and stands lol most things iv read said to just take the trans out and you could do a clutch job in the drive way

Old 03-08-2015, 10:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 5.0 View Post
I have good jacks and stands lol most things iv read said to just take the trans out and you could do a clutch job in the drive way

Im doing my clutch in my driveway this spring break lol
Old 03-08-2015, 11:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm doing a whole clutch kit and maximum motor sports clutch cable kit also so it should feel nice and be reliable with this supercharged motor

Old 03-08-2015, 11:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That's good to hear! a nice clutch is important. You don't weak points in your clutch system. However, you do probably want your clutch to slip before the engine pushes the trans past its limit. If I have a trans that can take 500 hp, I would put a clutch on that can hold 500 hp or less so it slips before it over powers the transmission
Old 03-09-2015, 01:26 AM   #9

Region: Alabama
Just pull the motor out and while you have it out you can do the bearings if it needs it. Pulling the motor beats having to lay on your back all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Otroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #10

I guess it depends if you pulled one before? if most is apart already, i would say just pull the engine, you can pull the engine and trans at the same time, done that a few times, with a buddy is way easier lol. I would suggest to do the rear main seal out of car with clutch/flywheel. If you pulled them a few times, it will take usually about a hour. My 2 cents

FX4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4L View Post
I guess it depends if you pulled one before? if most is apart already, i would say just pull the engine, you can pull the engine and trans at the same time, done that a few times, with a buddy is way easier lol. I would suggest to do the rear main seal out of car with clutch/flywheel. If you pulled them a few times, it will take usually about a hour. My 2 cents

idk, if you're going to pull the trans out with the engine you might as well just drop the trans alone. You would still have to lay on your back all day to get the cross members, exhaust, driveshaft, and mounts off. But idk.

Do you have any engine work that you also want to get done? If you plan on putting a new engine in or working on your current one, id pull them both out in that case.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #12

Ive done mine on garage floor, jack stands, i had no problem lifting trans into place, but everybody's different, also had a buddy help 2nd time. My first time pulling a 5.0 i just pulled engine/trans together. A few hours.
3rd time I over Heated the valve guides,bent a push rod, and had to pull the head, ended up with just the block in car, i decided to swap it out for a semi built block, only motor mounts, starter, headers, etc to remove and out comes the engine. At that point i swapped parts, all parts over,clutch/pilot Bering, oil pump,timing chain,etc and dropped it back in. Just Depends what your plans are with your engine. If just clutch, drop the trans.and have a buddy help lift it into place.

FX4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Id say transmission way less to worry about breaking little clips and vacuum hoses
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm just going to do the trans with the clutch and flywheel along with the maximum motor sports clutch cable kit. I'm also going to replace the rear main,throw out bearing, and pilot bearing. If I pulled the motor I would do new mounts and oil pan gasket but I think I'm just leaving the motor in. I may also do a mini torque starter and tubular trans crossmember

Old 03-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Id say transmission way less to worry about breaking little clips and vacuum hoses
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:28 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I think thats a good idea. good luck with exhaust removal! thats the hardest damn part of any engine/trans work! lol
Old 03-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I don't have full exhaust just shorty headers and an H pipe so hopefully it won't be to bad

Old 03-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I flipped my headers upside down and have stacks running up through the hood to avoid all that crap
Old 03-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

So for the vortech im setting up is there a way to tune the MAF meter I have calibrated for 24#injectors to run for the 60# ones I have now?

Old 03-11-2015, 08:53 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You don't "tune the MAF", you tune the computer. Your "calibrated" MAF is really just a hacked MAF and its not the best practice to run those vs tuning the ECU. That said, a tuner should be able to get your AF set for that MAF and the 60s.

As far as doing the trans... The T-5 is tiny and only weighs like 75lbs and is not integrated to the bell. Once the H pipe is out and the DS is off it pretty much falls out via removing 4 bolts and then the bell removal with no trans attached to it is easy.

All that said, removing the motor/trans as one unit is not hard either, not on a fox. Some vac lines, fuel lines, wires, the obvious stuff. Hood removed and a good cherry picker and a load leveler and it'll come right out.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT