Stuck front break bolts. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Stuck front break bolts.

Okay so I have been trying to change my breaks and I got the back ones done just fine but then I went to the front and things hit the fan really quick. So long story short I tried both sides and couldn't get it to move. I tried a breaker bar, nut buster, impact wrench just to find I was stripping it. so I decided before I got it stuck there forever I would ask you guys advice on how to get it off. I never tried heat because there is a rubber thing under the bolt and didn't want to melt it. Any ideas on what to do next?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Beau_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You talking about the small bolt holding the caliper to the slider or the caliper bracket to the knuckle? I can't imagine you used an impact wrench on the small caliper bolts. They are like 10mm IIRC... Just a regular 3/8 breaker bar should get that out no problem. I HAVE had the caliper bracket bolts get stuck before but that's nothing a torch and a REALLY big breaker can't fix.

Also that rubber sleeve... those are like $5 for all 4 corners and just slip over the sliders so don't worry about boogering them up if you do have to use heat for some reason.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You talking about the small bolt holding the caliper to the slider or the caliper bracket to the knuckle? I can't imagine you used an impact wrench on the small caliper bolts. They are like 10mm IIRC... Just a regular 3/8 breaker bar should get that out no problem. I HAVE had the caliper bracket bolts get stuck before but that's nothing a torch and a REALLY big breaker can't fix.

Also that rubber sleeve... those are like $5 for all 4 corners and just slip over the sliders so don't worry about boogering them up if you do have to use heat for some reason.

I am talking about the hex bolts that hold it down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Okay I got it loose I ended up taking a pipe wrench and using that on the outside of the bolt but I now need replacement bolts but I don't want to get those POS torques head bolts do they make replacements that just have a regular bolt head? And I also need that rubber sleeve or is it okay to drive without it?

Old 03-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm assuming it is the caliper slide pin bolts you are talking about as they are the bolts that go into the slide pins. They should never have been that tight, some idiot probably drowned them in red locktite or something. You can drive around without the rubber dust boot on... but it will **** up the slide pin getting all the road crud in it, I would only drive it like that for a real short time and only if you have to. You can get those boots online for next to nothing or autozone would probably have them honestly.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'm assuming it is the caliper slide pin bolts you are talking about as they are the bolts that go into the slide pins. They should never have been that tight, some idiot probably drowned them in red locktite or something. You can drive around without the rubber dust boot on... but it will **** up the slide pin getting all the road crud in it, I would only drive it like that for a real short time and only if you have to. You can get those boots online for next to nothing or autozone would probably have them honestly.

Does autozone sell the bolts too?

Old 03-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau_123 View Post
Does autozone sell the bolts too?

I found the bolts but couldn't find the boot could I make something to prevent dirt from getting in? Or just clean it every so often

Old 03-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Your Google-Fu needs work...

More Information for CARLSON 16114

Wearever Caliper Rubber Pin Boot Kit 18051A: Choose the best Brake Caliper Guide Pin Boot Kit at Advance Auto Parts

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT