How can I test injectors? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How can I test injectors?

I found someone who is selling ford racing 24 lb injectors for $115. How can I be sure they flow good or nothing is wrong?

Sent from my XT1031 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
95gtnewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 03:46 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Not sure on "flow" measuring, but I've always disabled/unplugged the coil(s), removed the suspect injector, pointed it towards a can, and had a buddy turn the key for a second or two.

Measuring flow though would be different. Are these measured in how much fuel they "flow" per minute, or something along that line? If flow is what you're after, I'd guess a measuring cup and a timer could be used as a "shade tree" method.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Without special equipment, that sounds like a pretty good way to test them. identifying that they are 24lb injectors, you just need to see what they look like and compare em to a picture online. as far as the flow goes, just test spray them into a container, and watch the spray carefully. if one or two seems very different from the rest, then you probably have a bad or clogged injector.

otherwise, maybe a 9 volt battery, a bottle of Heet, or any inexpensive injector cleaning solution, an extra injector harness and alligator clips, as well as some rubber tubing. when you have the tube connecting the injector to a source of fluid (gas, additive, anything that is injector safe) you can touch the wires to the battery to have the injector spray and get an idea of how the spray looks. It should be a good clean full spray. again, just make sure they all seem to do the same thing.
theres a few other threads on here that talk about injector cleaning that go into more detail about this process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
24s are blue. You don't need more than your 19s for now though, literally is going to do nothing and if you want to get a supercharger later 24s won't even be enough for that.

Also if you do 24s you are going to have to tune the car or run a new MAF which is more money wasted for zero gain.

I'd pull your 19s and rebuild them. There are kits out there to do it completely or just buy remanufactured/flow tested ones.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So what kind of upgrades should I have to put 24 lb injectors in. And I need a tune now anyways. That's why I was going to put them in and get it out of the way. I wasn't going to do the supercharger till next year unless I could pick one up for a decent price. But I was going to get Afr 185 cc heads and a 331 or 347 stroke kit

Old 03-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If you are going to supercharged......you will need bigger injectors.

If you are going to build a stroker 331/347......you will need bigger injectors.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

You'll want 30s minimum for that stroker. And if you supercharge a stroker based on a stock block... you might as well stay with the stock 302 and slap a set of cheap refreshed GT40s on it and run 12 psi. You'll make the same power without spending all that money on a block that will fly apart at the same power level. The stock rotating assembly in a 302 is not the weak point, the block is. You want to do a blown stroker, do it right and get a DART. Or just screw all that and go straight for a 351 based stroker which... is honestly the best option of them all.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:22 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have gt40p from 98 exploder and they have been machined and upgraded valve train I was told. I was thinking about getting a 351 block but don't wanna break the bank on that. And start a separate build and just drive this for now how it is

Old 03-18-2015, 01:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Can I get a 351 strong enough out of a junkyard and just have it brought to a machinist? If so what vehicle would be the best to pull one from?

Old 03-18-2015, 07:10 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gtnewb View Post
I have gt40p from 98 exploder and they have been machined and upgraded valve train I was told. I was thinking about getting a 351 block but don't wanna break the bank on that. And start a separate build and just drive this for now how it is

Unless you have receipts I would not trust that and would take the heads to machine shop to be checked. If they are on the car already... well make sure they are actually GT40s by looking for a "GT" (GT40) stamp or a "GTP" (GT40P) stamp

Quote:
Can I get a 351 strong enough out of a junkyard and just have it brought to a machinist? If so what vehicle would be the best to pull one from?

A 351 based stroker is only marginally more expensive than a 302 based one and you also really don't need a power adder so it winds up being about even. Any 351 block will hold about 700-750whp but you want a "F4" roller block which will be in 1994-up F series trucks and Econoline vans until they went to modulars.

Check out FordStrokers.com 331-347-408-418-427 Custom Built Small Block Ford Engines to get an idea of what all the different strokers cost. I will say that you might want to prepare for sticker shock but his prices are legit and what a good setup is really going to cost you in the end. This is not a cheap hobby...

I still think that if you do actulally have a good set of GT40s on your 302 then do a leakdown/compression test and if its all good throw a S trim at it, turn it to 425whp on a safe pump gas tune and call it good. Worry about upgrading the rest of the car around it because until the car is upgraded it honestly won't even handle 300whp properly let alone 400+.

If I sound like a downer, I'm not trying to be, I wish more ppl on the internets had told me this sort of thing when I started out.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a good read for you and read the whole site it is pretty good......
http://www.fiveohinfo.com/
And like Scotty said a simple GT40 top end with a supercharger on approx. 10 lbs will give ya low to mid 400 hp to the tire depending on tune and restrictions.

Doing 2 builds is kinda hard cause you can't dedicate enough time and money to both. So building the motor in your car then building one on a stand takes time and money.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

You build the motor in your car and the car WILL wind up sitting for years and potentially never move again until you get sick of it and sell it to someone who comes and gets it with a car dolley. Always build the motor on a stand IMO, unless the car sits most of the time anyway and then you might want to re-think having it honestly. I mean I get not driving a real nice car in the winter in the rust belt but ppl who put like 500 miles a year on their cars... I don't get it unless the car is a legit investment.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Scotty is right, build a separate engine on a stand and then swap the engine in once its done. And you do have to sacrifice to get it done. You cant just say "oh well ill do it as I get extra cash that I don't know what to do with" -- Nobody ever gets extra cash that they don't know what to do with. Wont get done without some sacrifice, especially with you being in school. Gotta keep them eyes on the prize. That's another thing this forum is good for, its just keeping you influenced by car people who approve of what you're doing
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That's amazingly solid advice guy's. I'm gonna get a stand and try to find a 351 block and start that build. Meanwhile leave my motor I have now ALONE try to find a supercharger for it and run that 10 psi and start a 351stroker. I'll just fix everything else around the car. There's not much to go. My dad did most of the work for the last 7 years. Until someone vandalized it on Xmas and stole/ripped the stereo system right out and spidered the windows ..scratched the paint...

Old 03-18-2015, 02:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
That's amazingly solid advice guy's. I'm gonna get a stand and try to find a 351 block and start that build. Meanwhile leave my motor I have now ALONE try to find a supercharger for it and run that 10 psi and start a 351stroker. I'll just fix everything else around the car. There's not much to go. My dad did most of the work for the last 7 years. Until someone vandalized it on Xmas and stole/ripped the stereo system right out and spidered the windows ..scratched the paint...

**** man, I hate when people screw with other people's cars. I had my car broken into and my backpack stole out. $1100 laptop and $500 in books just gone..

I called the cops about it and told them everything and they didn't do ****. they said "well we will tell u if anything turns up".. bastards musta been too busy writing speeding tickets to help me out.

SO I had my computer programmer dad track the location of the laptop, got my Sr 45 and got that **** myself. Im typing on that laptop right now, actually. Too bad spending time in a bigger city has brought me experiences like this.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yup unfortunately that's city life for ya. Gladly got your stuff back. People work hard for what they have. Then bums have to ruin ****

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT