My '88 Mustang has a harsh ride! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #1

Region: Rhode Island
My '88 Mustang has a harsh ride!

I can't believe my Mustang has the factory suspention. I'd like to soften it up a bit. I don't quite understand if lowering springs are the culprit or heavy duty shocks and struts. Would normal struts and shocks make it a bit more liveable? This car is my everyday car,no track time,autocross or the like. Thanks for the help... Paul
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #2

Region: Wisconsin
You want to upgrade your suspension i can help you bro. Run the same set up i have it works great

89 Mustang gt. Racing aluminum heads. Professional products lower and upper intake. 75mm throttle body trickflow stage 1 cam. T5z transmission. Spec stage 1 clutch. 4.10 gears. Powerdyne supercharger 42lb injectors @9psi.
Vicious5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #3

So.... Tell me about your setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #4

Region: Wisconsin
My set up is very very simple but it gets the job done with out a problem. I got kyb shocks and struts. With Lowering springs. I replaced lower control arms. And got subframe connectors. My car went from feeling wobbly and bouncy. To hard and well gripped to the ground.

89 Mustang gt. Racing aluminum heads. Professional products lower and upper intake. 75mm throttle body trickflow stage 1 cam. T5z transmission. Spec stage 1 clutch. 4.10 gears. Powerdyne supercharger 42lb injectors @9psi.
Vicious5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #5

Thanks for your input Vicious 5.0
Old 03-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well OP what springs do you have?
What shocks and struts?
Are the bushing stock?
What else do you have done?

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yes it doesn't sound like you have the factory suspension now if it is harsh, if you are not the original owner I would guess that at the least it has lowering springs which will give it a firmer / harsh ride than what it would be with the stock setup. My wife hated riding in my 2000 GT after I put lowering springs on it but I like it lol!
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #8

I don't know what springs or shocks are in it. I guess I'm wondering if heavy-duty struts and shocks would contribute to a hard ride.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I've used specific and progressive rated springs over the years and they all made the ride harsh.Specific rated springs have coils that are spaced equal distances apart and the rate is the same whether you're going straight over potholes or around curves.They are used when handling is your main goal because they won't compress much.I think they're in the 450-650lb rate.Progressive springs(like Eibach)have coils that are spaced a little farther apart near the top of the spring then as the coils get near the bottom of the spring they are spaced closer together.This type of spring provides a somewhat decent ride over potholes due to the farther spaced coils then as you begin cornering,the weight of the car compresses the springs til they reach the coils spaced closer together and this stiffens the suspension up so it handles better.The spring starts out at a softer rate(250,275,etc)while driving normally then it stiffens up (450,500,etc)when you begin going around curves.I don't find either type of spring to provide a good ride at all.I run coilovers because you can choose the spring rate you want.I run a soft spring(150-175)so it will provide a smooth ride then I use adjustable struts/shocks,polyurethane sway bar and end link bushings,etc to make up for any loss of handling I lose by running softer springs.If someone has installed lowering springs on your car,its gonna be hard to get a smooth ride unless you fork out a good chunk of change for some high dollar adjustable struts/shocks.I'm sure someone who has experience running adjustables with stiff springs will chime in.I don't know of any stock type struts you can use to get a smooth ride.Motorcraft,Gabriel,Monroe,etc are the type of struts I'm referring to when I say stock.You can get rid of some of the stiffness in the spring by adjusting the struts compression setting,but that can only be done with an adjustable type strut.Its also possible that you've got some worn bushings throughout the car adding to a harsh ride.You could look at the color of your springs and that might tell you whether they're stock or lowering springs.My stock springs were black,but every type of lowering spring I bought was a different color.Blue,silver,red,etc.So a color other than black means lowering springs usually unless the previous owner installed remanufactured stock type springs on all four corners.I very seriously doubt it though.I'm sure someone will chime in shortly with a lot more experience in "what strut to use with lowering springs to gain better ride quality"It would probably help if you can get lucky enough to locate the brand and model of struts/shocks you're currently running that way you can look up the part description for that specific model.If its description states its used for greater handling vs providing a better ride quality,it might be part of the reason for your rough ride.As an example:when you buy a heavy duty shock for a 4 wheel drive truck,its gonna be valved to provide a stiffer compression setting since most 4wd trucks are planning on jumping over hills,etc.The same scenario could hold true for your struts but it would be stiffer so you can handle curves better rather than jumping hills.lol
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #10

Thanks for your input Roger. My springs and struts look to be black. When I look at stock springs from Late Model Restoration I count nine coils. I just counted mine and I believe there are nine. I also noted that the top two coils are sitting on each other and I'm assuming the very top coil (the one I can't see) is also sitting on the one below. I feel thats the problem. Now for a question. If coil over struts are used, are the factory springs still in place? I wouldn't think so but I have no idea. Thanks... Paul
Old 03-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Paul,

See AM link below for complete eibach Coil over kit! You can check out the customer photos to see what it looks like after install. I am sure there are other kits out there but this will give you an ideal on how it looks!

Eibach Mustang Pro-Street Coil Over Kit 3510.71 (79-04 All, Excludes IRS) - Free Shipping
Old 03-30-2015, 03:37 PM   #12

Thanks James, I enjoyed the link. I feel I don't need such a sophisticated setup on my everyday street car. I think I'm going with stock springs and struts. Thanks again... Paul
Old 03-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yep they have a nice price tag! A fresh set of springs, Shocks and struts should improve your ride quality, your car is a few years old! Best of luck and let us know what you go with, always interested in how different setups work out!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT