Upgrading Engine, WHAT ELSE? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2015, 02:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Cool Upgrading Engine, WHAT ELSE?

Hey guys so Im doing my first upgrades to my SN95 GT in about a month or so and i need some help, Ill be installing Intake Manifold, 70mm throttlebody, CAI and 24lb injectors. My question is what else should I do when I have that stuff off that is convenient to do at the same time?
GT1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Why are you putting 24 lb injectors on? Basic bolt ons will not max out the stock injectors, and basically any mod that actually requires bigger injectors will want 32lb at least.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
24's should go on when you upgrade the heads and cam as well as the intake.

What manifold are you putting on?

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Im using the profession products one, same power and reliability of elderbrock but cheaper price tag, Professional Products Polished Typhoon Mustang Intake Manifold 54020 (86-95 5.0L) - Free Shipping and the only reason im doing the injectors is because it is going to save me on time and labor and im getting a free 76mm MAF calibrated for 24lb injectors so why not have them if im gonna be doing that stuff eventually
Old 03-31-2015, 09:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If you've got any ticking lifters,now is a good time to replace them.Replace any dry rotted,soft or cracked vacuum hoses attached to the underside of the upper plenum(intake)If the engine has a lot of miles on it,it wouldn't hurt to remove,clean and install new external parts to the injectors,since you've already got the upper plenum off.The link below will show you how to do these things and which parts are needed.If you haven't ran the car yet with the cai installed and you encounter idle problems afterwards,you can try reclocking the MAF sensor a little at a time to see if it solves the idle issue.This can occur on the kits that mount the filter inside the fender well and have a real sharp bend in the pipe between the filter and MAF sensor.If your kit has the filter mounted under the hood instead,you don't need to reclock the MAF sensor.Reclocking just means to loosen the hose clamp,turn the MAF sensor housing slightly then tighten the clamp.You can also try doing a base idle reset.The SN95 Mustang has a IAC valve with a seperate set screw (from the tb)which can be turned.The last paragraph below shows info related to this screw.The 24lb injectors might cause the engine to run a little rich,so if youve got the funds,it wouldn't hurt to invest in an adjustable fuel pressure regulator so you can bring the pressure down a little.This job is much easier with the upper plenum off too.Here's the injector rebuild link.The second link is instructions for the base idle reset.

http://web.archive.org/web/201312291...tion.com/?p=82[
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,1031.0.html

To adjust tps,close the set screw (under the rubber plug) on the iac valve all the way, lower TB set screw until it stalls with IAC disconnected, and use the IAC valve setscrew to set the base idle to ~650-750 RPM........ REGARDLESS of the closed throttle TPS signal value.
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1995 View Post
Im using the profession products one, same power and reliability of elderbrock but cheaper price tag, Professional Products Polished Typhoon Mustang Intake Manifold 54020 (86-95 5.0L) - Free Shipping and the only reason im doing the injectors is because it is going to save me on time and labor and im getting a free 76mm MAF calibrated for 24lb injectors so why not have them if im gonna be doing that stuff eventually
The pro products intake is most definitely not the same quality as the edelbrock piece they copied. You do not need to upgrade the tb or maf or injectors either. Not with the stock heads. Everything you listed that you are doing is just wasting money.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Now that I'm back at a computo... For a 95 GT:

-Gears
-Shifter
-Remove air silencer
-Subframes
-Suspension
-Full Exhaust

And the big one... either swap to an A9L computer or have a good tuner fix the stock T4M0 computer so the tune is not complete **** anymore. They are so bad from the factory that simply swapping to a fox computer feels like you got a new car.

After that, if you are on a budget get a set of GT40 Explorer heads/intake out of a JY and have the heads gone through by a local shop. Clean up/valvejob/new springs. Pick up a letter cam or a TFS1 cam used for $100 and install that with new pushrods. You are now around 275rwhp with a good tune. At this point, your next mod should be the fuel system and a S trim supercharger. This will max out what the stock block can handle power wise. You will need to upgrade the transmission at this time as well.

You could not pay me to put a pro products junk Chinese copy full of casting flash and mismatched ports on a Mustang. No way in hell.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

update

Heres where im at,
-BBK 75mm throttle body
-BBK Cold Air Intake
-Fresh fuel filter
-No more ticks or rattles (wow)
------
I have not installed yet:
-BBK fuel presssure regulator at 38psi
-Underdrive pullys (got for free idk if I will install)
-24lb MAF
------
On the way:
-Gt-40 intake Manifold w/adapter
-24lb injectors
------
Soon:
-3.90 gears because quicker than 3.73 but not as mainly as 4.10
-Hurst shifter
-Chip tune/ Fox Computer?
------
Question: what entails switching to a A9L computer? What problems will arise?
Old 04-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Watch the BBK regulator, they are known to leak, if it doesn't leak within the first few hundred miles it should be fine. You don't need 24s right now, nor a new MAF, that's just wasting money. Pullies are good but don't try installing the alternator pulley, its pointless and can cause potential charging issues. GT40 manifold is good. DO NOT get 3.90s, they aren't Ford gears and if you've ever had experience with non Ford rear gears... no... 3.73s or 4.10s. For a shifter get the MGW, its the best one and its not even close.

If you have someone who can tune your 94/95 computer, that will help a LOT. The 94/95 computers have very conservative fuel tables from the factory and they pull timing between shifts. For a Fox computer you will have to re-pin your factory harness and add a fan controller and a BAP to run it as the adapter harnesses have been out of production for like 15 years... I'm still kind of meh that I sold mine 3 years ago lol.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

ok, the reason I was going with 24's is because it was a package deal with the gt40 & because my local mechanic, which works on mustang almost everyday, (65-01) told me to go to 30's! which seemed excessive but ill stick to your advice. I may have a t70 turbo falling into my lap soon but we'll see. Ill go with 3.73, MGW and search for a turner im sure there someone in the SF Bay Area that knows how to do it.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

If your mechanic is recommending 30s for a stock motor with a GT40 intake I'd go find another mechanic. Doesn't matter if he works on god's Mustang every day, doesn't exactly sound like he knows what he is talking about. And 30s will not be enough for a turbo build either, you would want 42s.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT