My Foxbody Overheated and was shooting coolant everywhere... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

My Foxbody Overheated and was shooting coolant everywhere...

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Its really hard to spot anything in the video.It looks like its bone dry on coolant.I would fill the radiator up with water so it will start coming out of the component that's got the leak.Water won't leave a mess like coolant will.I would make sure the thermostat isn't stuck closed.If the thermostat is stuck,the leak would have started at a hose or a weak gasket most likely.One thing I did notice was the puddle of coolant on the intake,between the intake and passenger side valve cover.That pipe installed between the water pump hose and heater hoses may have sprung a leak where the fitting screws into the intake or at the fitting itself.That fitting has orings inside it that can dry rot or tear over time.If the boring is bad,it will definitely leak there.Check the ect sensor to make sure its tight and not leaking too,where it screws into that same pipe.Check those two small hoses that are connected to the egr spacer.The clamp might be loose or the hose might have a pinhole leak in it,where it connects to that same heater hose pipe.The egr spacer gasket needs to be checked also because the leak could be coming from there.Another prone leak area is where the egr spacer rear coolant hose connects to a fitting screwed into the lower intake.The 1st link below is a picture of the lower intake.Look on the passenger side all the way to the rear of the intake and you'll see the fitting I'm referring to.The egr spacer rear coolant hose connects to that fitting and this is a leak prone area.(This next bit of info is unrelated to your original problem)I noticed it looks like you don't have a pcv valve installed.I assume you're doing this because you've got a breather on the rh valve cover and you're trying to avoid creating a vacuum leak??If this is the case,you're still supposed to install a small breather on the pcv hole or plug the hole.There should also be a breather in the lh valve cover too.Once you open the 2nd link below,scroll down til you reach the "Don't" section in red.The info listed describes how you should set this system up.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...46D&first=5]91 mustang lower intake picture - Bing Images
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,119.0.html
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrockstar View Post
Its really hard to spot anything in the video.It looks like its bone dry on coolant.I would fill the radiator up with water so it will start coming out of the component that's got the leak.Water won't leave a mess like coolant will.I would make sure the thermostat isn't stuck closed.If the thermostat is stuck,the leak would have started at a hose or a weak gasket most likely.One thing I did notice was the puddle of coolant on the intake,between the intake and passenger side valve cover.That pipe installed between the water pump hose and heater hoses may have sprung a leak where the fitting screws into the intake or at the fitting itself.That fitting has orings inside it that can dry rot or tear over time.If the boring is bad,it will definitely leak there.Check the ect sensor to make sure its tight and not leaking too,where it screws into that same pipe.Check those two small hoses that are connected to the egr spacer.The clamp might be loose or the hose might have a pinhole leak in it,where it connects to that same heater hose pipe.The egr spacer gasket needs to be checked also because the leak could be coming from there.Another prone leak area is where the egr spacer rear coolant hose connects to a fitting screwed into the lower intake.The 1st link below is a picture of the lower intake.Look on the passenger side all the way to the rear of the intake and you'll see the fitting I'm referring to.The egr spacer rear coolant hose connects to that fitting and this is a leak prone area.(This next bit of info is unrelated to your original problem)I noticed it looks like you don't have a pcv valve installed.I assume you're doing this because you've got a breather on the rh valve cover and you're trying to avoid creating a vacuum leak??If this is the case,you're still supposed to install a small breather on the pcv hole or plug the hole.There should also be a breather in the lh valve cover too.Once you open the 2nd link below,scroll down til you reach the "Don't" section in red.The info listed describes how you should set this system up.
91]91 mustang lower intake picture - Bing Images mustang lower intake picture - Bing Images
EFI DO's and DONT's (A Work in Progress)

Thank you so much for all this information. I've had a lot on my plate so I will actually read this and work on her next week I hope! Again, thanks for all the feedback, when this happened it was a punch in the stomach and I had to walk away from her for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I agree with you on needing to walk away sometimes.I do that every time I pull a motor for a rebuild.Walking away is much better than throwing a hammer through the window.
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
foxbody