Oil pan removal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Oil pan removal

Sup all Mustang lovers. Specifically Fox body enthusiasts. My car leaks oil from the oil pan and I know exactly from where. The guy I bought the car from about 2 years ago had it supercharged. And well its not supercharged anymore and I just have the oil line plugged. Anyways it leaks from the weld and need to replace it or fix the crack. I dont have a cherry picker and was wondering if the only other way to get to it is to remove the k memeber? Any help or info will be appreciated! tia.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
prototype ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
JB Weld will work fine for a leak like this.Ive got a 1" crack on the oil pan in my 90 GT which occurred when the engine was installed.It hasn't leaked since I done the JB Weld trick 3 years ago.If you can get your hands on an engine hoist,the engine can be raised up,small blocks of wood under the motor mounts(to keep the engine from falling)lower the oil pan til it hits the cross member,slide your hand between the pan and block to remove the oil pump and pickup tube bolts/nut,lower the pump and tube into the bottom of the pan then the pan can be removed. Now even though the pan can be removed this way,how dangerous do you think this is??To me,its not worth loosing my hand over a oil pan right??If you raise the car body up and lower the kmember,you still have to find a way to hold the engine up while the kmember is being lowered.You can't just lay a 4×4 across the fenders and attach a chain from there to the engine.An engine hoist or some other tool would have to be used.I wouldn't use the kmember option anyways unless I've got the car on a lift because when its time to slide the kmember back in place the car needs to be level when its lowered back down onto the kmember.Doing a job like this with floor jacks(if that's what you're planning on using)would be a real pita!!!Plus the car is not gonna be level if you're using floor jacks on the front while the rear of the car is on the ground.I guess you could put all four corners of the car up on ramps or jack stands,find a means for keeping the engine stationary then lower the kmember with a couple of jacks then the oil pan can be removed.I gotta tell ya though,that's alot of work just for a oil pan.
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I didnt realize anyone had replied to this. Thanks tho wbrockstar! Im going to consider using that jb weld stuff. Never heard of it I hope it works. Does sound like way to much work just to get to the oilpan. I just want to fix the leak to be able to park on my driveway lol. Once again, thanks for the info wb!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
prototype ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Get the oil pan as clean as possible where you're gonna put the JB Weld.If you've got a drill and wire brush,dremel and a sanding disk or a air powered grinder of some sort and the area can be accessed by one of these tools,use it.Don't just wipe the area off with a rag,the JB Weld will adhere better if you remove the paint that's on the weld and pan.If there's not enough room to use one of the tools on,a small piece of sandpaper will work.If the JB Weld doesnt fix the leak,you can always swing by a muffler shop and get them to put another weld on the fitting or grind the oil line fitting off the pan and weld a patch pad over top of the hole.It should be really cheap for this type of job($20-$25,etc)Good luck with the fix
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT